Do anybody remember this 2005 piece about u2?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My initial thoughts... that entire second article can be quoted ad nauseam when it comes to future "the music they want to make/relevancy" disussions on here. :D

Yes, we've talked about those Kot articles for years around here.

Boner is about half right on the money and about half full of shit.

Sums him up fairly nicely.

Another one of those critics that thinks a band ought to cater to their own preconcieved ideas.

I liked the second one, but haters gonna hate.

Another one of those critics that thinks a band ought to cater to their own preconcieved ideas.

Based off that and his SOI review, he's probably a fan that wouldn't mind them chucking the guitar out altogether and becoming an full-time ambient band either.

It wasn't always so. A decade ago, U2 couldn't be bothered with the Grammys, or any other kind of promotional event that smacked of salesmanship. In 1993, U2 turned down an offer to perform at the Grammys, and the Edge and Bono didn't even bother to show up for the ceremony when "Achtung Baby" was nominated for album of the year (eventually losing out to Eric Clapton's "Unplugged").

Most likely due to other commitments, mr Kot. But the rhythm section was there.

The U2's get to their hotel and get about their business, representing the band at the Grammy Awards where Achtung Baby is nominated in several categories, including Album of the Year.
As soon as they get to the Grammys Adam and Larry regret coming.

And they all attended when JT or Zooropa won. It's a little hard to take a rock journalist that can't get his facts straight two paragraphs in seriously.

He is absolutely pathetic when he wants to them to be strictly in the undreground, probably playing for a few bitter intellectals at some rubbish music club in the middle of nowhere :) That´s a stupid cliche.

Nevertheless, I agrre with him when he talks about robbing themselves and playing it safe with ATYCLB and Bomb and that some songs in the set are sound like tired warhorses.

Back
Top Bottom