Discotheque's album mix

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mobvok

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
There's a general EQ setting for songs I listen to in my car; it's the right mix of treble and bass and for the most part this works fine for songs from my iPod. However, Discotheque on Pop sounds dull and a little boring. I suspect this is because of Adam's bass being so present in the mix, as it's not until I crank the "Treble Booster" on my iPod that the song reveals itself. TB brings out more of the awesome clanky percussion and pretty much hides Adam until the chorus and bridge.

Does anyone else make this change? I think the rest of Pop works fine without fiddling with the EQ and some of the later (see: Vertigo) takes on the song do find a home for Adam's groove. But the one version on the album is a separate creature to me, more about Bono and the million little Edge noises playing off Larry and the Fane sample than anything Adam contributes.

I personally love Disco's studio mix.

The thought crossed my mind that it might be some some crazy issue with my speakers, but it's seemed pretty consistent across different systems/headphones that the right mix needs a bit more treble then usual. Don't get me wrong, though, when I've got it right I :heart: the studio mix.

Or maybe I'm just weird. :der:

I felt like listening to Pop last night and I was to lazy to dig out my cd so I decided to to listen on U2.com .
Fullscreencapture620200981517PM-1.jpg

Apparently U2.com dosen't acknowledge the existence of Discotheque .

I have noticed a similar thing on NLOTH. IGCIIDGCT is very poory mixed, compared to the rest....its flat and one dimensional!

I have noticed a similar thing on NLOTH. IGCIIDGCT is very poory mixed, compared to the rest....its flat and one dimensional!

Let's hope that the band didn't shoe Brian and Danny away entirely for that song and just have Will.I.Am produce it or something. But yeah, you're right.

Let's hope that the band didn't shoe Brian and Danny away entirely for that song and just have Will.I.Am produce it or something. But yeah, you're right.

The band did say that they weren't running it through ProTools and they wanted it to stay really rough. Doesn't excuse the lack of dynamics, though.

Good to know its not just me thats noticed the poor quality sound on IGCIIDGCT. I was listening to radiohead this afternoon. And even tho the Albums are much older (Kid A 2000 and Amnesia 2001), the sound quality is shit hot. the music is a lot more vibrant, alive and in your face. You can hear all the lil details in there. What ad give to have a u2 album mixed like this. I have always questioned the sound quality of u2s albums (compared to other around the same time) and even the live mixing at concerts is shit at times!

Back
Top Bottom