Discotheque Live from Vertigo

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
as a matter of opinion (since i can't help with your request, I'm afraid) i remember really liking the 4-on-the-floor beat Larry played on that arrangement, it felt like that's what had been missing all along.

listening to that version again recently though I really don't like it as a whole. the beat's still great when the song actually gets going but the way the song seems to stop and start in the verses etc seems to suck the life out of it and it feels like it doesn't have any direction. I really hope they bring that song back again though :hmm:

As far as I know, U2Start has a decent audience recording of the Chicago show and a listenable IEM recording of the Toronto show. Neither is amazing, but both are worth listening to.

(If U2Start doesn't have these, I do.)

As far as I know, U2Start has a decent audience recording of the Chicago show and a listenable IEM recording of the Toronto show. Neither is amazing, but both are worth listening to.

I didn't see that IEM of the Toronto show. I saw another Toronto show of the same stretch of 4 shows, but I don't think (?) they played Discotheque that night. Mind sharing that one song? Shoot me a PM? ;)

as a matter of opinion (since i can't help with your request, I'm afraid) i remember really liking the 4-on-the-floor beat Larry played on that arrangement, it felt like that's what had been missing all along.

listening to that version again recently though I really don't like it as a whole. the beat's still great when the song actually gets going but the way the song seems to stop and start in the verses etc seems to suck the life out of it and it feels like it doesn't have any direction. I really hope they bring that song back again though :hmm:

Interesting observations. I think the 4-4 is exactly what had been missing all along too. I thought Even Better on 360 improved (beat/rhythm-wise) for the same reason also.

Re the song dying in the verses..I guess that's why I want a decent quality take of it, because when I was there it sure didn't feel like that at all. Think that the versions that are currently posted on Youtube maybe don't do it justice. At any rate I have an idea for the verses that Edge coulda done that would have filled in alot nicer. I see what they were trying to do ie have the heavy dance rhythm propel the intro (as opposed to just Bono and syths on the Popmart version, for example) and really like it, but maybe some more Edge in those verses woulda helped..

I also really dig what they do when they are all fired up...and the breakdowns are really cool too imo..

Found it. There's a different way to search that didn't bring it up. Thanks for the tip! :)

I didn't see that IEM of the Toronto show. I saw another Toronto show of the same stretch of 4 shows, but I don't think (?) they played Discotheque that night. Mind sharing that one song? Shoot me a PM? ;)

It is not a very good IEM, mono feed, volume is overloaded with lots of static bursts.

They played Discotheque again at the Sept 20th Chicago show, which I believe it is the last time it was performed in full. Bono nixed the Popmart intro at soundcheck saying he did not think it worked.

They continued to work on a shorter version of Discotheque during that week having it lead into Velvet Dress which Bono thought was "beautiful" but that was also nixed as Edge did not feel Discotheque was working in the context of their setlist. Basically he was not enjoying playing it. :shrug:

I have the Toronto version from U2start as well. Not the best quality, but decent all things considered.

It is not a very good IEM, mono feed, volume is overloaded with lots of static bursts.

They played Discotheque again at the Sept 20th Chicago show, which I believe it is the last time it was performed in full. Bono nixed the Popmart intro at soundcheck saying he did not think it worked.

They continued to work on a shorter version of Discotheque during that week having it lead into Velvet Dress which Bono thought was "beautiful" but that was also nixed as Edge did not feel Discotheque was working in the context of their setlist. Basically he was not enjoying playing it. :shrug:

Not doubting you per se but I've noticed you periodically drop little nuggets of info now and again...were these nixes by Bono for the PopMuzik intro and later Edge for the tune period, ever documented? I mean it stands to reason someone in the band didnt think it worked given that they dropped it ..but just curious where you'd heard that?

I did get the IEM feed as well today. For what I needed it for, it's perfect. Can really hear what's going on with all the parts, as opposed to the Chicago which is pretty muddy and the YouTube which had tons of screaming etc in it

Not doubting you per se but I've noticed you periodically drop little nuggets of info now and again...were these nixes by Bono for the PopMuzik intro and later Edge for the tune period, ever documented? I mean it stands to reason someone in the band didnt think it worked given that they dropped it ..but just curious where you'd heard that?

I literally heard it. :shrug: :wink:

20-9-2005 CHI Pop Muzik nixed

Here is as much documentation as I can provide.

Back
Top Bottom