Disappearing Act - Page 9 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong
Click Here to Login

Old 08-26-2009, 09:34 PM   #161
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 08:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan_smee View Post
Now dad, come on, I did say SOME people here.

It would be highly strange if 100's of people who are predisposed to like the music of U2 so much that they make 1000's of posts on a u2 fan site actually prefer the atmospheric stuff that is as far remvoed from u2 as they can get
I find I like U2's two extremes the most. It's no secret I'm a fan of U2's atmospheric side, and the more atmospheric they get, the better. I have said in the past that I wish they had gone further with the UF/Captive direction, and in many ways Passengers does that. I also love U2's more intense side, whether that's the early post-punk of Boy or the seriously rockin' God Part II, The Fly, HMTMKMKM, Gone kind of work.

What I dislike is the bland middle ground, and I feel like U2 have wallowed in that middle ground all too much, especially in the first half of this decade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan_smee View Post
I see it as an Eno record with U2
I reckon that you need to be consistent and classify Passengers the same way you'd classify UF. Now, I often joke that they're both "Brian Eno featuring U2". But in seriousness, I'd classify them both as U2 albums.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 10:14 PM   #162
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:44 AM
Ehh, TUF is definitely less straight-up-Eno than OS1 is. Songs like Bad, Pride, ASOH, Wire, and ISS are all outside of normal Eno-fare, and are very different than OS1, but they all have strong Eno influences, and his hand is obvious in the production. I love both albums... probably TUF somewhat more, though.

Also, Dan Lanois seriously needs to be thanked for what he did especially with Adam and Larry on TUF.

digitize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 10:40 PM   #163
ONE
love, blood, life

Yeah, no matter how much anyone was invovled in either project, one is classified U2, and one passengers. If that is the only distinction (and it isnt btw) then they can't be grouped the same
dan_smee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 10:57 PM   #164
New Yorker

Local Time: 04:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolian2 View Post
stop and take a moment to think about what you just said.
what i was suggesting is that the quick improvisations and recording sessions from OS1 may be in line with the quick improvisation and recording session done for Disappearing Act over a couple summer days in France.

perfection sometimes comes out of quick improvisations and experimentation. Something I feel is part of Disappearing Act.

if you think all this talk is bullshit just let me know. maybe i'm out in left field.
subnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 12:21 AM   #165
ONE
love, blood, life

I see what you're saying subnet.

It does sound funny though talking about a song 26 years old :P
Old 08-27-2009, 05:07 AM   #166
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 09:44 AM
Of course Slug and Your Blue Room grab all the headlines as they are some of U2's best songs, but other more atmosphetic and slightly eerie songs like A Different Kind Of Blue, Corpse, One Minute Warning and Theme from The Swan are the ones that really make the album for me, even Elvis Ate America kind of seems right on Passengers surrounded by all these songs of a completely different musical nature. OS1 is and probably always be in my top 5 U2 albums, right now it's number 3.
An Cat Gav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 05:54 AM   #167
War Child

Local Time: 10:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by An Cat Gav View Post
Of course Slug and Your Blue Room grab all the headlines as they are some of U2's best songs, but other more atmosphetic and slightly eerie songs like A Different Kind Of Blue, Corpse, One Minute Warning and Theme from The Swan are the ones that really make the album for me, even Elvis Ate America kind of seems right on Passengers surrounded by all these songs of a completely different musical nature. OS1 is and probably always be in my top 5 U2 albums, right now it's number 3.
Agreed.

One Minute Warning
PookaMacP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 05:56 AM   #168
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by subnet View Post
what i was suggesting is that the quick improvisations and recording sessions from OS1 may be in line with the quick improvisation and recording session done for Disappearing Act over a couple summer days in France.

perfection sometimes comes out of quick improvisations and experimentation. Something I feel is part of Disappearing Act.

if you think all this talk is bullshit just let me know. maybe i'm out in left field.
oh, i understand where you're coming from now.
coolian2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 11:30 PM   #169
New Yorker

yeah, we're cool

i applaud them for picking up the pieces of a 26 year old track and reworking it in short time. The song may have been highly unstructured and in bits and pieces over several recording tracks knowing it touched the hands of Brian Eno and Danny Lanois. Be it 26 years, 26 weeks, 26 hours, U2 music is timeless.
subnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 07:49 PM   #170
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I'm getting sick of only being able to listen to this 1 min. clip... the song better surface soon!
Catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 08:00 AM   #171
War Child

Local Time: 10:44 AM
Yes in October I will get a song from which 1min is boring to me because I've already played that part to death
xtrmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 08:16 AM   #172
Blue Crack Addict

lol, that's why i've stopped listening to the minute clip.
mikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 11:56 PM   #173
ONE
love, blood, life

Yeah, I havent listened to it for a week now... its killing me!
Old 09-05-2009, 12:40 PM   #174
War Child

I don't know how I missed this. I'm really late to the party.

This song sounds unbelievable. Especially that weird whistling guitar (?) noise after what seems to be the chorus.
The John Tree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 01:18 PM   #175
Refugee

Sounds a bit like Electrical Storm that whistle
MikeyJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 03:41 PM   #176
War Child

Agreed. I wonder how much of the outtakes are from 1984 and how much have been added in 2009. "Wave of Sorrow" seems like it was an entire instrumental track from 1987, just with Bono's new lyrics and vocals added in 2007. This seems more updated.
The John Tree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 08:10 AM   #177
The Fly

What does everyone think of the full song, another gem from boys if you ask me.
mgokelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 08:49 AM   #178
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 05:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
I find I like U2's two extremes the most. It's no secret I'm a fan of U2's atmospheric side, and the more atmospheric they get, the better. I have said in the past that I wish they had gone further with the UF/Captive direction, and in many ways Passengers does that. I also love U2's more intense side, whether that's the early post-punk of Boy or the seriously rockin' God Part II, The Fly, HMTMKMKM, Gone kind of work.

What I dislike is the bland middle ground, and I feel like U2 have wallowed in that middle ground all too much, especially in the first half of this decade.

I reckon that you need to be consistent and classify Passengers the same way you'd classify UF. Now, I often joke that they're both "Brian Eno featuring U2". But in seriousness, I'd classify them both as U2 albums.
I agree so strongly with everything you just said!!!!
Niceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 09:23 AM   #179
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 05:44 AM
There's something vaguely Achtung Baby about the lyric, isn't there? Lepers and beds... and songs about relationships like this weren't really the kind of songs Bono often wrote back in 1984 were they?
Niceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 09:40 AM   #180
The Fly

Is this song a 2009 Bono vocal on top of a 1984 instrumental? Sounds like it to me.

Good song, though.

kevink is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
disappearing act, remastered, remasters, the unforgettable fire