did One Republic rip off U2's lyric

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
For the sarcastically impared, any inkling of this being a rip-off is a complete joke. If you honestly think this is in any way ripped-off and/or that they should give U2 credit ... well, I won't say you're an idiot, but that's ridiculous.

i guess you were absent from school the day teachers taught kids that plagiarism was bad. not saying that ur illiterate and can't read but i was just trying to point out that it MAY be a possibility that one republic got the phrase from u2. the band members citing u2 as one of their biggest influences makes it all the more possible. if that were the case then for sure u2 should get credit.

not sayin ur an idiot either btw. just to make that clear

I just broke out my Unforgettable Fire album and, for the life of me, I can't find where credit is given to the art exhibit for the album's title

i guess you were absent from school the day teachers taught kids that plagiarism was bad. not saying that ur illiterate and can't read but i was just trying to point out that it MAY be a possibility that one republic got the phrase from u2. the band members citing u2 as one of their biggest influences makes it all the more possible. if that were the case then for sure u2 should get credit.

Again, this all rests on the idea that U2 invented that phrase, which is absolute bullshit. So, none of what you or others say is possible.

If I write a song with "chip off the old block" in the lyrics, I can't claim a person writing a song called that five years later is plagiarizing me. Why? Because I didn't invent the phrase.

:lmao: you need to get some fresh air!

A lot of (young) music fans are not aware that 90% of 20th-century popular music was derived from/copied from/inspired by/adapted from earlier songs and artists.

The idea of a major-label artist copying a previously issued recording's melody or lyric and then facing legal action for it is fairly new. I mean, there were cases of it happening in the 70s (famously, the My Sweet Lord/He's So Fine affair), and then it became a bigger issue in the 80s because of hip-hop sampling and so on.

A legal precedent had to be set for what legally constitutes pliagarism in music. This is extremely hard to determine, and is not even consistent from one musical culture to another. Adding to the difficulty is the historical precedent set by generations of recording artists copying earlier artists and traditional performers and not giving credit. The fact is that a lot of old blues guys, for example, were copied by later recording artists and they never received a cent for it. And until the Me-generation kicked in the 1970s or later, even major-label popular artists would often share and swap songs with each other. (To use George Harrison again, he actually wrote 'My Sweet Lord' and gave it to Billy Preston, who recorded it on one of his first albums. Nobody paid it any attention until a year later when it became an international #1 hit for George, and suddenly there was money to be made.)

Anyway, I just want to underline the fact that absolutely nothing U2 or any other band has ever released is completely unique, and that the precedents -- legally and otherwise -- for what constitutes pliagarism in popular/lyrical music are extremely complex (some would say, convoluted). While most of us (not all, however) in the western music tradition would probably agree that 'My Sweet Lord' is too close melodically to 'He's So Fine' to not warrant some sort of problem, what about other, less-clear examples? How about the Pet Shop Boys' "It's a Sin", which borrows part of the melody of Cat Stevens' "Wild World" -- but does it borrow enough to justify legal action and shared songwriting credits? Half of the people asked would think one way; the other half another way.

But none of this helps the countless artists of the 20s, 30s, and 40s who were ripped off by later recording stars.... they were too far ahead of their time.

Anyway, as per the cited case in this thread -- as others have said -- obviously no small phrase is legal grounds for having pliagarized anything. And obviously U2 didn't invent the phrase. End of.

That wasn't my point, exactly... but since you mentioned it...

You did bring up some good stuff, but the fact that you start so many of your posts with a dis to people younger than you is getting a bit, well, old. Just because we didn't live those years doesn't mean we're completely oblivious to what happened in them. On that matter, since you were talking about the 20s, 30s and 40s in your post, would you like for someone who lived during those times to single you out as ignorant?

You did bring up some good stuff, but the fact that you start so many of your posts with a dis to people younger than you is getting a bit, well, old. Just because we didn't live those years doesn't mean we're completely oblivious to what happened in them. On that matter, since you were talking about the 20s, 30s and 40s in your post, would you like for someone who lived during those times to single you out as ignorant?

You are a bit of a sad punk, aren't you? When I said "(younger) people" --note the emphasis on "people", not "younger" -- I was including people my own age in that group. I'm not old. And my comment was in no way disparaging to younger people.

You might be a happier punk if you tried ingesting the points of the posts, rather than nitpicking to find fault with the poster.

You are a bit of a sad punk, aren't you? When I said "(younger) people" --note the emphasis on "people", not "younger" -- I was including people my own age in that group. I'm not old. And my comment was in no way disparaging to younger people.

You might be a happier punk if you tried ingesting the points of the posts, rather than nitpicking to find fault with the poster.

You could be a 93859 if you stopped 65980ing every goddamn thing.

Back
Top Bottom