Did John Mayer rip-off "Bad" with Heartbreak Warfare?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tony, what part do you think sounds like a "rip-off"?

And don't say the whole thing, give me specifics.

I have to say, I'm not a Mayer fan, but this song isn't bad, but the solo at 2:26 is horrible :yikes:

so many people on that youtube vid claim it's a u2 rip off of some sort...I don't think he's actually ripping any particular U2 song off, but you can definitely hear the U2 influence in this song more so than most other John Mayer songs....pretty good song

I have to say, I'm not a Mayer fan, but this song isn't bad, but the solo at 2:26 is horrible :yikes:

:lol:

I feel the same way...I've seen many comments (mostly youtube comments) saying stuff like "that solo is so tasteful"....I'm not sure what they're listening to :giggle:

No, I certainly do not see a Bad rip off in the least bit here.

Remember, Mayer does not have that key element that every epic U2 song shares: pulsating, memorable performances by the rhythm section. Picture Bad w/o Larry's drums or Streets w/o Adam's bass.

Mayer is qualitatively different- his band is very good no doubt, but they are not his equals in terms of contributions/focus. The drums and bass are by definition, pushed back in the mix. U2 are a ROCK band that need all these elements combined.

So different genre, really.

However, this is probably his most U2 influenced stuff, fine by me. I think he writes classy music and is obviously very talented with the guitar. He doesn't try and pretend to be something he is not.

I probably would not pay to see him, but if the opportunity ever presented itself to date one of his 18-25 year old female fans, I would make an exception to that in a nano second!

Guys, they are a great looking group, generally speaking!!

The opening guitar parts are certainly reminiscent of Bad, but I don't think it could be called a rip off, I don't hear any other similarities.

Well I guess I stand corrected; it must not be a rip-off.

All I know is I was listening to the radio when the song started playing, and, at the beginning, I thought for sure someone had done some type of remix of Bad. Then I realized it was that crooked face John Mayer, and I got a little bit upset.
My Bad.

Parts sound like it to me too.
I think the opening melody does....try singing the first line of Bad and it fits perfectly....melody wise. I didn't notice this however until you mentioned it. Weird.
Also listening to this closer I hear the guitar chimes in the back ground towards the end that sound like Bad....

The main riff of Heartbreak Warfare does sound very similar to the riff from Bad. No the same but similar. I would say the song could be very influenced by "Bad" but not ripping it off though.

Both Billboard and Rolling Stone mention it in their reviews of his album.

Billboard: He also marches into fresh stylistic terrain by sampling an anthemic U2 ambience on "Heartbreak Warfare"

RS: On "Heartbreak Warfare," Mayer delivers U2-style guitar and strained war metaphors

Agreed. I don't think it's a rip-off, but I do think it's very U2 influenced.

The thing with our boys is that they have such a unique sound that it's hard to be U2 influenced without sounding like a U2 ripoff. One can be influenced by Dylan without sounding just like him. But it's hard to put a U2 influence into your sound without it sounding just like them.

I guess that's why they're my favorite band.

The guitar rhythm is strikingly reminiscent, but I wouldn't call it a complete rip-off.

Thematically, it seems very similar to Surrender. Broken down personal relationships with a backdrop of War.

Yup, the opening guitar line reminds of "Bad." But, whatever, musicians and artists take little ideas from each other all the time. Consciously or unconsciously. Not a big deal.

By the way, John Mayer is the 6th most followed person in the world on Twitter. We are fucked.

I mean, really, U2 dont have a monopoly on such a basic and simple chord progression.

Waiting on the World to chang is much worse as it is a reasonably original progression from edge, and it is fairly blatant when it is lifted. When a verse is just repetitions of A and D, cant really be called stealing

It needs to be closer to be a rip-off though the bass sounds like Adam a little and the synthesizer loop reminds me of Edge's guitar.

It's obvious that so much has been done before that just about anything new will sound like past songs.

What a coincidence. My roommate is listening to John Mayer all day (tonight is the first concert at the Heineken Music Hall in Amsterdam) and he was playing this song while i stood in the kitchen. I didn't know he was playing 'Heartbreak Warfare so i was singing some lines of 'Bad'. :hmm:

Bad is like, two chords. Pretty easy to rip off A and D.

Heh. "Bad" is not quite A and D -- but it's close. Edge rarely plays "normal" chords.

Actually, John Mayer's vocals on this track remind me a lot of Peter Gabriel's "In Your Eyes", for some reason.

Back
Top Bottom