Did John Mayer rip-off "Bad" with Heartbreak Warfare?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's not really anything like Bad in terms of the lead guitar parts imo unless you count using a delay rhythmically as copying Edge. The bass and rhythm of the verses is what sounds like Bad (and it IS A-D, same progression), it's pretty close. Strip away the rest and you can play Bad right over top of that bass line. :yes: But you'd get lost at the chorus. I thought it interesting that near the end the drums picked up and the drummer did an almost signature Larry snare lick. I'd say it's safe to say they have listened to Bad a few times or so.

But I don't consider this a rip off.

I could tell you, but I'd rather get through my life without even hearing a bar of this song.

If it didn't scream BAD, it'd be a pretty good track from Mayer.

But this is nowhere near the Waiting on the World to change fiasco (it just happens to be similar to a better song).

I just recently heard this song on the radio and got into it and when I figured out it was John Mayer a part of me died inside. It's a good song, the only John Mayer song I like. It's not exactly a rip off, just very similar. The main riff at the beginning sounds close to Bad. And yeah, the solo completely ruined the song for me. If they did something different it would have been much better for the song.

What do so many people have against John Mayer? :shrug: Sure he comes across as an asshole in interviews, but I do like a couple of songs.

YouTube - U2 vs. A-ha

I've always had problems with this "comparison". This "art" work makes it look like U2 blatantly ripped off A-ha and reaped all the profit from it.

In reality, one of A-ha's songs contained the two-word phrase, "Touch me". These two words just happen to be in U2's "Beautiful Day". Are we now going to say that any time someone dares use two words that it's a rip-off? If so, let's compare A-ha to the Door's "Touch Me" single! Didn't A-ha rip-off the Doors by daring to use those two words?

Worse, if you listen to this mash-up, Bono's voice and the song were intentionally slowed in an odd attempt to match the "touch me" sections more. Maybe someone should do the same with A-ha and the Doors. :scratch:

The creator of the video obviously had too much time on their hands.

:bump:
I heard a DJ on the radio a couple of weeks ago talking about this particular song. He said that Mayer himself admitted that the song was influenced by U2's Bad so I thought of the discussion in this thread but then forgot to bring it up.

Now I've found a videoclip on YouTube where John Mayer describes how the song came about, and mentions Bad as the influence (but people in the audience laughs about it :huh::madspit:).

YouTube - VH1 Storytellers John Mayer (part 3 - Heartbreak Warfare)

Should bring an end to the discussion I suppose as the answer to the inital question is "Yes".

Yeah, but to still call it a rip off is a stretch.

A "rip off" is if he tried to hide the fact that it's influenced by...

Any songwriter who is honest will tell you this happens.

I can see them having a similar "atmosphere" (if that makes sense), but I don't see anything screaming ripoff here either. They're basically two different songs to me.

If it did inspire Mayer in writing this though, hey, good for him.

Yup, the opening guitar line reminds of "Bad." But, whatever, musicians and artists take little ideas from each other all the time. Consciously or unconsciously. Not a big deal.

By the way, John Mayer is the 6th most followed person in the world on Twitter. We are fucked.

I heard a local dj say she saw a twitter post where he said he "borrowed" the chords from Bad. :wink:

What do so many people have against John Mayer? :shrug: Sure he comes across as an asshole in interviews, but I do like a couple of songs.

I loved his first cd. I got into him then and don't really follow the other stuff.
I really like Heartbreak Warfare, and don't gaf** who doesn't. :wink:

Yeah, but to still call it a rip off is a stretch.

A "rip off" is if he tried to hide the fact that it's influenced by...

Any songwriter who is honest will tell you this happens.

:up: Edge and Bono both have talked about their influences.

Personally maybe (I don't give a crap about that), but musically he has tons of talent.

thank you. :up:
and sometimes I feel like it's a guilty pleasure, but he is immensely talented and I can't help but like it. so get over yourselves, people. He's good.
:wink:

Back
Top Bottom