Did Bono really say this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Everyone is free to discount what I am going to say, after all, I was born in 1987.

I was alive when they broke up, but too young to remember it. However, I do have a brother almost 15 years older than I am, so a lot of the music and culture of the time rubbed off on me as I got older (he bought me my first Beatles albums when I turned 10), and the one thing you're leaving out of the equation is what they accomplished within the cultural context of the era.

It's kind of unfair to compare a drummer to the frontman of any band. What do you think a solo LMJ show would look like in comparison to a solo Bono show? Probably not much different. Poor Ringo can't sing, and they only allowed him to take the lead on a couple of novelty-type songs. Of course he can't captivate an audience the way that Paul can. Nor was he much of a songwriter, so his post-Beatles output isn't going to be that great, either. His drumming wasn't flashy, but he was good and steady and he served the purpose.

I don't buy into the Lennon as God thing, either. He may have had some activism under his belt, but I think his impact in that area was overstated - all kinds of 60s performers were doing the same thing. IMO, I think what a lot of it boils down to is that he has this mystique surrounding him because of the tragic nature of his death. And if you do any reading about his personal life, he had lots of assholish tendencies, too.

I don't really recall reading much negative about Harrison post-Beatles, though, so I find his dissing of U2 kind of odd. From his comments, it almost sounds like he wasn't really even aware of who they were. Maybe he was just terribly sheltered. :shrug:

I don't either. Lennon/god thing. Bono and are are part to the second wave of Baby Boomers. 1955-1964. We are much more cynical than our hippie counterparts. Saw the lot of it. As bullshit. Protest at Ivy League schools. Daddy paid for. While, our fathers and brothers were drafted into a war. They didn't want to fight.

Dr. Martin Lutheran King had a profound impact on me. Same for Bono.

Lennon, a good songwriter. Dr. King changed America. Big difference.

This comparison of U2 to The Beatles is silly for too many reasons to mention -- if you're interested in more of my thoughts on that and disliking the Beatles in general, see here: http://www.u2interference.com/forums/f221/i-generally-dislike-the-beatles-206408-3.html#post6812248

Now, I just want to clarify a few things:

I never understood George Harrison's bashing of U2.

Neither have I, but don't overreact to it or let it cloud your enjoyment of his music. He said some things in 1997 or whenever, it took five minutes and was quoted and published, and then he probably forgot it five minutes later.

Harrison forgets that while the Beatles were indeed huge in 1964, by 1965, even they were having trouble selling out shows. This, combined with other issues, had them stop touring.

This is not right. The only show of note they had trouble selling out was the 1966 Shea Stadium show (the 2nd one), which, amusingly, none of them could even remember playing in the 1990s!

In any case, concert attendance had absolutely nothing to do with their decision to stop touring. They were easily the world's biggest group in 1965-66, and then got bigger again when Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band came out in June 1967, and became their biggest selling LP (until their last one, Abbey Road, which outsold Sgt. Pepper in the USA). Their decision to stop touring had to do with the freak-show mania that surrounded them, their frayed nerves, the fact that they were prisoners of their own fame while on tour, and the fact that they couldn't replicate their new material (like Revolver) live on stage. But mostly they were just sick of the mania and all the unwanted controversies and problems that surrounded their tours. Remember that this is before the modern rock tour began -- the Beatles were playing places like Shea Stadium without even having monitors on stage. In other words, they couldn't even hear themselves play!

Harrison, post-Beatles, seemed to complain a lot.

I would agree with this. He was generally a bit bitter in his public image. However, he seems to have always been a funny, joking guy with this friends.

Even with the Beatles, he complained (not enough songs with him as the lead singer, not enough of his songs recorded, etc.).

This is not true. He didn't complain to the others about this at all, as far as is known. He may have been subtly bringing it up right at the end (in 1969), but even then he was seemingly content to support Paul's endless studio perfectionism and Lennon's increasingly lazy work. I would argue the opposite of your point -- that George was very much the one Beatle who sacrificed his own ego so that the others could achieve more. He was the quiet, vital cog.

but clearly McCartney considers them colleagues, and that's pretty good by my standards.

I wouldn't assume that McCartney "considers them colleagues". Paul also tried to buddy-up to Noel and Oasis back in 1997, before the Gallaghers turned on him and dismissed his new music, at which point Paul immediately turned on them. Paul is very diplomatic. George and (esp.) John were not.

I wouldn't get too hung up about something George Harrison said a few years before he died. U2 are the kind of group who carefully protect their public image, try to say the right things, and are consciously aware of how their fellow artists will perceive what they say -- but George Harrison was not, and nor were most artists from the 60s. They just said what they were feeling.

George was doing too many drugs.

I don't think George was doing too many drugs 4 years before he died. Well, maybe painkillers...

they were as egotistical as it comes, hence the break up.

Now you sound like the world's many U2-haters -- "Bono is SO egotistical!" Yes, the Beatles had egos, as George Harrison freely admits in the Beatles' Anthology video. So what? Every rock group we've ever heard of has egos. You don't make it to the top without it.

I am quite sick of the whole "Beatles invented rock and roll" mentality that is everywhere these days(what about 50s rock, what about the blues and the African American rhythm culture, what about Elvis, I could go on).

I usually quite respect your posts, but you're going off the deep-end here. Never in my life have I heard anyone (okay, maybe Justin Bieber fans) say that The Beatles invented rock'n'roll -- a plainly idiotic statement. And even if someone did say that, it's not The Beatles' fault, is it? The Beatles themselves have relentlessly praised their rock'n'roll forefathers of the 1950s -- indeed, Paul McCartney owns Buddy Holly's catalogue and has produced biographies of him.

Again, you come off like a "U2 sucks because they're popular!" type here.

They are nowhere near as sustainably great as U2.

In your opinion. However, this opinion is going to be swept aside by the eternal court of history.

George, I discount him based on his U2 comments. He has no business calling Bono egotistical when he is in a band that broke up after 6 years in the limelight.

This is the 2nd time in your post that you've judged The Beatles for breaking up too early. Just because U2 have been together since the stone age doesn't necessarily mean that's ideal for every group. IMO, The Beatles broke up at the natural and exactly correct time. Had they stayed together longer, their legacy would certainly have been 'tainted' (if such things are important).

John was a good guy, very talented, good vision, etc, but he is made out to be a god. What did he ever get done for the world?

Yes, he briefly became "St.John" -- esp.in the American media -- in the decade or so after his death. Time balances things out, however, and that excessive 80s' perspective is more in balance now. Lennon himself would have been horrified by his own deification.

I truly and honestly think McCartney carried that group.

Well, that's false. Lennon was the spiritual leader of the Beatles in the early years. Paul took over a bit more around 1966, and yes, in 1969 (Let It Be, Abbey Road), Paul was somewhat running the show, much to the disgust of George and Ringo. Once that power-balance of the chief Beatles was thrown off, the band was over. But to suggest that Paul carried them is ridiculous. It was Lennon's band to begin with, Lennon who sang lead on most of the early hits that broke them, and Lennon was was -- as the others all acknowledged in the early days -- the leader.

I am pretty damn confident the show I saw in 2009 could not have been topped by the Beatles as a group.

This is undoubtedly true. The Beatles live were fabulous when they played clubs in 1960 to 1963. But all the live shows in the Beatlemania era of 1963/4 to 1966 suck in my opinion -- but of course, that wasn't their fault.

Poor Ringo can't sing, and they only allowed him to take the lead on a couple of novelty-type songs. Of course he can't captivate an audience the way that Paul can. Nor was he much of a songwriter, so his post-Beatles output isn't going to be that great, either.

I appreciate the point of your otherwise fine post, but you're being a bit disingenuous to Ringo here.

Ringo sings lead on:

Boys
I Wanna Be Your Man
Honey Don't
Act Naturally
What Goes On
Yellow Submarine (UK #1)
With A Little Help From My Friends
Don't Pass Me By (written by Ringo)
Goodnight
Octopus's Garden (written by Ringo)

Yes, his post-Beatles output isn't overly impressive, but it's not that bad, either! In 1970 to 1975, Ringo's singles outperformed all the other Beatles' on the US-charts.

Taken collectively, this is considerably more than Larry Mullen has done in terms of taking the spotlight.

I appreciate the point of your otherwise fine post, but you're being a bit disingenuous to Ringo here.

Ringo sings lead on:

Boys
I Wanna Be Your Man
Honey Don't
Act Naturally
What Goes On
Yellow Submarine (UK #1)
With A Little Help From My Friends
Don't Pass Me By (written by Ringo)
Goodnight
Octopus's Garden (written by Ringo)

Yes, his post-Beatles output isn't overly impressive, but it's not that bad, either! In 1970 to 1975, Ringo's singles outperformed all the other Beatles' on the US-charts.

Taken collectively, this is considerably more than Larry Mullen has done in terms of taking the spotlight.

Yes, I understated by saying a couple, but still, out of their entire catalogue, that's 10 songs, and most of them are either novelty types, like I said, or covers. My point being, he clearly wasn't one of the ones with vocal ability in the group, so it's unfair to compare him solo to Paul.

I disagree with U2-Spice Girls comparison he made...though I agree U2 does have a big ego.

That said...can you find a Bono comment as full of ego as "bigger than Jesus" line ?

I dunno, I always agreed with Lennon when he said that line was misinterpreted.

He wasn't saying "We're bigger than Jesus" in a bragging way. It was more like "WTF is going on here, this hype is insane" thing.

I always thought it was incredulity, not ego.

He pretty much meant it, except he crawled out an apology once their records were getting burned in America. :shrug:

As for above comments, not sure Macca still sounds&looks the same as he did (compare original Helter Skelter and the Grammy version he did a few years ago).
He gets flack for "ruining" the band but in reality he doesn't get enough credit (Sgt Pepper, Abbey Road, Let it be and Magical Mystery tour are all his conceived by his ideas) - if the band wasn't functioning properly at the time that's not really his fault. In reality, John wanted to go solo, Ringo would be ok with anything, and George resented Lennon and McCartney for not getting enough credit. Of course, above all, John and Paul just weren't working as a team anymore (proof ? they did not reunite in the decade between their breakup and Lennon's death - although George and Ringo have played with either John and Paul on their albums).

The only question is...could Brian Epstein have persuaded them to continue, had he not died in 1967 ?

Ah, okay. Thanks for the context!

It still reads to me like it's not coming from a place of ego, more that he's saying it to support his statement that Chrisitianity wasn't so hot at the time. Like "Jeez, even we're bigger than Jesus," as opposed to "We're bigger than Jesus!!!"

I agree. He never meant it to be intentionally arrogant. He was just stating what he believed was a fact. The Beatles were more popular than practicing Christianity in his eyes. I agree with him, the Beatles were just about the biggest thing to ever happen in pop culture. My dad tells me how much people loved them and how immensely popular they were back then during his teenage years.

He pretty much meant it, except he crawled out an apology once their records were getting burned in America.

May I ask on what basis you're qualified to make such a statement?

Lennon's comments about Christianity were said, at his house, in a fairly intimate situation, with journalist Maureen Cleave, who was an attractive female journalist who knew all the major Britpoppers of the day. It's the interview equivalent of Bono being asked questions by Gavin Friday while downing some Guinness around the fireplace chez Hewson. Hardly Lennon trying to make some major statement. I believe in the same interview he also said that sex was the only physical activity he was bothered to engage in anymore -- not exactly something he wanted broadcast to the world.

The interview was printed in England and nobody batted an eye. Months passed before some cheap American magazine wanted something Beatle-related to improve its sales, and ran the interview. The Bible belt was up in arms and the right wingers had a brief field-day. Lennon was coaxed into a half-assed apology at several press conferences (they're mostly on YouTube) by Brian Epstein and others, but he clearly didn't think he did anything wrong (which he didn't). That was the end of Lennon's casual, friendly relationship with the media.

Of course, above all, John and Paul just weren't working as a team anymore (proof ? they did not reunite in the decade between their breakup and Lennon's death...

This can be over-stated. John and Paul mainly wrote songs alone, even in the early to mid-60s. So that wasn't hugely different by the late 60s. What was different was that everyone was getting mature, growing up, getting wives, etc. It happens naturally.

Incidentally, Paul and John did meet each other several times in the mid-70s. The (probable) first time was in L.A. in 1974, when John, Paul, Harry Nillsson, and Stevie Wonder jammed together in a studio -- they even recorded some of it.

The only question is...could Brian Epstein have persuaded them to continue, had he not died in 1967 ?

That is interesting, but the more pressing question is: Would the Beatles have renewed Epstein's managerial contract, which was due to expire a couple of months or so after his death? They have never clarified this matter, understandably.

Changing the way people think about and view the world? I'd say that's good enough.

Quite abstract and difficult to judge. Either way, not something he could do by himself.

How did he change the way people thought about the world?

Again, we are comparing this to Bono's concrete results, as attested to by the people who actually control where the money goes for causes like debt relief, AIDS treatment/prevention, education, water treatment, etc. Bono's successful philanthropic ventures as well.

What did Lennon do personally, besides drugs?

It seems to me that people give Lennon the credit that maybe MLK and RFK deserve more of. But thats just me.

I'm afraid I will have to respectfully disagree with most of the points you make, as much as I love U2 and they mean much more to me than The Beatles, they haven't had nearly as much cultural or musical impact as The Beatles, in fact I don't think any band has and certainly never will have again.

No doubt the Beatles had more cultural impact, never argued that.

As for musical impact, its a tough one. The Beatles influenced a ton of artists, U2 included for sure, but U2 has in turn influenced countless artists as well. I think time will tell on this one.

Ok to respectfully disagree, and again, I'll quote myself:

I was born in 1987, so feel free to discount anything I say about the Beatles

Now you sound like the world's many U2-haters -- "Bono is SO egotistical!" Yes, the Beatles had egos, as George Harrison freely admits in the Beatles' Anthology video. So what? Every rock group we've ever heard of has egos. You don't make it to the top without it.

No, no, no. Not like the U2 haters. First, where are the numerous comments about Bono being an asshole like we had with John? The "Did Bono Really say This" thread is a prime example. No one has been able to come up with anything more than 2nd or 3rd hand rumor or innuendo regarding Bono being an egotistical prick in person. At some point, you have to get out of the subjective and get objective. What do the U2 haters "Bono is so egotistical" have to go on? Really, its a serious question. Unless the definition of egotistical has changed, then they are basing it on their personal dislike of Bono and his political activism. I have only ever heard Bono criticized by the far left who resent the fact that he is a capitalist and outspoken about it, or the American right who view him as a liberal Reagan detractor and "Africa lover who should just shut up and sing I Will Follow like we fuckin want, like my boy from the clubs back in 1980!" I know a guy just like this- hates the One, Walk On Burma shit and wants U2 to shut up and play Seconds. Of course, I have to remind him that U2 were much more political in 1983 when he loved them than they are now, but just a blank stare.

I go on the above diversion to illustrate how dumb most of the U2 haters these days are. All of their arguments break down after one follow up question. You ask the lefties what good any system other than capitalism has ever done, and you ask the righties(most of whom loved U2 before Bono started helping those black people and hanging with the Clintons) if they had the same problem with the overt politics of the 1983-87 time period.

They have nothing to go on. I do. The Beatles simply could not keep their individual egos in check to save the band. Nothing false about that.

Of course, U2 and the Beatles and every other famous rock group has egos. The big difference with U2 is, and it is spoken to very often, is that one person's ego is never allowed to overcome the goals they have as a band. With the Beatles, everyone's ego, especially John's, was more important than staying together as a band.

However, you still can't discount insecurity here. Bono and Larry especially had it tough growing up, had difficult things to deal with in life, Edge and Adam later in life. Bono has said something to the effect of "how insecure must I be to require 20,000 screaming fans every night in order to be satisfied." That drives a lot of bands, in addition to ego.

There is a lot more to base any egomaniacal claims against Beatles members on than there is claims against U2's members. Since when is staying away from drugs, being a good family person, doing countless good for others in the world and using your fame to shine light on the people who are never heard egotistical?

I usually quite respect your posts, but you're going off the deep-end here. Never in my life have I heard anyone (okay, maybe Justin Bieber fans) say that The Beatles invented rock'n'roll -- a plainly idiotic statement. And even if someone did say that, it's not The Beatles' fault, is it? The Beatles themselves have relentlessly praised their rock'n'roll forefathers of the 1950s -- indeed, Paul McCartney owns Buddy Holly's catalogue and has produced biographies of him.

I usually quite respect your posts here as well. I think the only issue I have ever had with you is a slight tendency to put words in peoples mouths. You've done it here.

I wasn't talking about the Beatles members themselves, and I never said its their fault. I have no doubt that McCartney and everyone else know and respect very much their predecessors. Never doubted that, never claimed to doubt that.

I was talking about a mentality- that the Beatles can do no wrong, that they were the original rock group, the group to which all must aspire, etc. If you have never seen this mindset outside of Justin Bieber fans, then frankly you haven't been looking for it.
Again, you come off like a "U2 sucks because they're popular!" type here.

In your opinion. However, this opinion is going to be swept aside by the eternal court of history.

We'll wait and see.

Neither of us know for sure.

History is a funny thing- perceptions change over time. Many of the "greats" are judged to be not so great, many of the "duds" are judged to be brilliant and many of the "goods" or "greats" are judged to be even greater. Just ask Harry Truman.

I would say that U2 and the Beatles have equal chances of being judged by history as the "greatest band ever" when all is said and done. Say in 20 or 30 years.

It is a fact that the Beatles stayed together putting out great out put for far, far less time than U2. Thats what I was talking about with sustainably great.

This is the 2nd time in your post that you've judged The Beatles for breaking up too early. Just because U2 have been together since the stone age doesn't necessarily mean that's ideal for every group. IMO, The Beatles broke up at the natural and exactly correct time. Had they stayed together longer, their legacy would certainly have been 'tainted' (if such things are important).

No argument at all here regarding the natural and correct time. No argument at all that being together forever does not work for every band.

I am just saying that a big influence in their break up was ego and disagreements and a desire for pushing personal priorities over the priorities of the band. Paul and John were at each other's throats big time. Not saying that was right or wrong or judging in any way. It just is.

Yes, he briefly became "St.John" -- esp.in the American media -- in the decade or so after his death. Time balances things out, however, and that excessive 80s' perspective is more in balance now. Lennon himself would have been horrified by his own deification.

Well, that's false. Lennon was the spiritual leader of the Beatles in the early years. Paul took over a bit more around 1966, and yes, in 1969 (Let It Be, Abbey Road), Paul was somewhat running the show, much to the disgust of George and Ringo. Once that power-balance of the chief Beatles was thrown off, the band was over. But to suggest that Paul carried them is ridiculous. It was Lennon's band to begin with, Lennon who sang lead on most of the early hits that broke them, and Lennon was was -- as the others all acknowledged in the early days -- the leader.

Maybe I went a bit far, but I still think Paul had the best songwriting abilities and the best vocals. He can scream like very few can even today.

I was just blown away by that show I saw last yr and again, you'll have to forgive me as I obviously was never able to see John.

I don't mean to have a personal war or discussion here, the respect you have for my posts is returned in my respect for your posts. Rest assured of that.

I gave a disclaimer that I will repeat again for good measure: I am not old enough to remember, nor do I know anywhere near as much about the Beatles as many, many others.

This is undoubtedly true.

:lol::lol:

Yes.

Those big PA stacks hanging up on the claw and the relay towers to blow out crystal clear sound and that big video screen to project the band to us delay free from anywhere in the venue are things we most certainly take for granted today! Same with IEM's and other timing equipment/technology with the performers themselves.

Not luxuries the Beatles or the Stones had when they started doing big venues in the 1960s.

I can understand being annoyed when other artists bash your favorite band. But you're going to discount him entirely because he made a cranky comment?

Sheesh.

Not discount his work/talent/everything he did in his career.

I just meant discounted for the purposes of any further discussion from me.

If you make a statement that compares U2 to a flash in the pan Spice Girls in 1997, then you frankly have proven yourself to be completely lacking in any intelligence at all.

The only way George can be forgiven for that is if he had been hiding under a rock since 1980.

Involved deeply in the music world and he never heard of War, TUF, JT, R&H or AB?

I'm sorry, but that is really, really bad.

I don't either. Lennon/god thing. Bono and are are part to the second wave of Baby Boomers. 1955-1964. We are much more cynical than our hippie counterparts. Saw the lot of it. As bullshit. Protest at Ivy League schools. Daddy paid for. While, our fathers and brothers were drafted into a war. They didn't want to fight.

Dr. Martin Lutheran King had a profound impact on me. Same for Bono.

Lennon, a good songwriter. Dr. King changed America. Big difference.

You just hit on a big reason why I maybe am a little biased against the "give peace a chance John Lennon imagined a better world and then it existed" view of things from the hippie types.

My Dad was more toward the era who became hippies(he was born in 1950) as he was graduating high school in 1968 when Vietnam and America were both on fire and in chaos. Instead of getting in with the hippies, he joined the military to escape poverty and get a chance in life, which he got. But not before he spent 13 months in 1969 and 1970 in Vietnam, front line medic, only to get spit on and called a baby killer by these spoiled little daddy pay hippies upon his return.

My Dad was against the Vietnam war, I would have been too, but I never would have had a thing to do with the hippie kids who thought they were changing the world but were really just trying to stop the war so they didn't have to die. They were saving their own asses. They didn't stop the war. The people in power got scared shitless of the backlash of the silent majority turning against the war and throwing them out of office. Thats how the war ended. That and the fact that we recognized the military could not attain an unattainable political objective. They didn't change the world. They went on and became as hedonistic and self centered as any other generation, and now they are all overmedicated middle age suburbanites.

I learned a lot from my Dad, and a lot from some of my professors, none of whom were right wing nuts in the least bit, who were against Vietnam, for Civil Rights, etc but saw right through the hippie/counterculture movement.

The drugs, the money from Mom and Dad(but we hate upper middle class America), the hypocrisy, the 60s hippies were far from the saviors they make themselves out to be.

Maybe it is because these people who I dislike have become associated with the Beatles and because Lennon associated himself with them(who are really a universal band who appeal to everyone, yes, even me) that I have a skepticism for the Beatles overall.

Anyway, sorry to get off topic, and A Stor, great post!

U2387
And to make perfectly clear to everyone, I do not hate the Beatles

I only put U2 and Bruce in the same league as the show I saw Paul put on last year!

Thank you!

I love when Bono says he is basically, no hippie/flower carrying, pacifist. Something to that extent. My dad was treated the same way. He hated the war. Was completely, against it. And had every right to say so. He served in Vietnam. Never killed a child. Sadly, he did have to kill a man. When, they were attacked. This haunted him for the rest of his life. Dad came home and never touched a gun again.

I think what ended the war was the "silent majority." There was a second round of "boomers" who were becoming of legal age to vote. 1972 and 1976, presidential elections. That frightened Washington. We weren't going to drop acid and sing "Give Peace a Chance." We were going to change the direction of the seventies. With our votes.

The hippies were given too much credit as to ending the war. They didn't. Their little brothers and sisters did.

Ah, okay. Thanks for the context!

It still reads to me like it's not coming from a place of ego, more that he's saying it to support his statement that Chrisitianity wasn't so hot at the time. Like "Jeez, even we're bigger than Jesus," as opposed to "We're bigger than Jesus!!!"

He is contemplating religion in that interview, it's just the very context, the comparison that rubbed people the wrong way. We're bigger than Jesus (in Britain) ?

I dunno...just looks like nothing good can possibly come out of a statement like that. Indeed nothing did. :shrug:

May I ask on what basis you're qualified to make such a statement?

Lennon's comments about Christianity were said, at his house, in a fairly intimate situation, with journalist Maureen Cleave, who was an attractive female journalist who knew all the major Britpoppers of the day. It's the interview equivalent of Bono being asked questions by Gavin Friday while downing some Guinness around the fireplace chez Hewson. Hardly Lennon trying to make some major statement. I believe in the same interview he also said that sex was the only physical activity he was bothered to engage in anymore -- not exactly something he wanted broadcast to the world.

The interview was printed in England and nobody batted an eye. Months passed before some cheap American magazine wanted something Beatle-related to improve its sales, and ran the interview. The Bible belt was up in arms and the right wingers had a brief field-day. Lennon was coaxed into a half-assed apology at several press conferences (they're mostly on YouTube) by Brian Epstein and others, but he clearly didn't think he did anything wrong (which he didn't). That was the end of Lennon's casual, friendly relationship with the media.

This can be over-stated. John and Paul mainly wrote songs alone, even in the early to mid-60s. So that wasn't hugely different by the late 60s. What was different was that everyone was getting mature, growing up, getting wives, etc. It happens naturally.

Incidentally, Paul and John did meet each other several times in the mid-70s. The (probable) first time was in L.A. in 1974, when John, Paul, Harry Nillsson, and Stevie Wonder jammed together in a studio -- they even recorded some of it.

That is interesting, but the more pressing question is: Would the Beatles have renewed Epstein's managerial contract, which was due to expire a couple of months or so after his death? They have never clarified this matter, understandably.

I know the background story on the article. He did mean it, and he did crawl out an apology. What "qualifications" are needed for what really happened ? :huh:

Yes, they wrote separately before. But the difference was by White Album you'd have them recording separately, and in particular John and Paul increasingly working on their own material without the other guy's input. Additionaly George stacked up 5 songs, and even Ringo got his own song out. Hence that album feels more like a combination of 3-4 songwriters rather than a team effort. The tensions even made George Martin walk out on them, and they pretty much had to beg him to produce Abbey Road. While they did of course have meetings after 1970, they did not, however, write and/or record as the band. Not even Paul and John did write music, on their own, without the "BEATLES" pressure.

To all that was said above, add the financial fight between Paul and John (when Klein, rather than Eastman, became their manager) and John and George choosing Phil Spector to produce Let it be in direct violation of the band's intended plan with that record. (and of course the label ban on Paul's solo album in 1970 when John was recording and perfoming on his own a year later)

Paul may have been giving the impression of forceful leading, but he didn't have much to work with. Once John stopped being 100%, it went downhill.

Why would they not renew his contract ? They were all close with him, in particular John.

maybe punctuation is missing
Please.....your beloved again. or

please your beloved.....AGAIN!!! or

PLEASE YOUR BELOVED AGAIN! or

please your beloved again??

tri an old message in a new bottle

Did Harrison have something against the Irish or did he simply not like U2's music? .

Do you mean because he criticised both U2 and Oasis? I think it's reading way too much into the comments to suggest some anti-Irish motivation in him making them, I doubt if he was anti-Irish, he was partially of Irish descent himself, he didn't have a history of any kind of racist comments, and his personal credo, as far as I understand it, was very strongly anti-racist.

For whatever reason, he didn't like the modern music scene, U2, Oasis and the Spice Girls were pretty much the biggest bands back than, at least in the UK, he decided to have a pop at all three of them. Maybe there was a bit of a professional envy in the mix, but overall, my take on it is he was already quite ill at the time he made the comments, and it just seems bit unfair to take him to task too much over them.

Back
Top Bottom