Desert of Our Love and Rise Up......wow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ifeelnumb84

War Child
For some reason I can't stop listening to these two (no longer) hidden gems.
The drums and bass are spectacular, and Bono's lyrics are difficult to decipher, which is a good thing (same reason I like Elvis Presley and America, etc.)
Wave of Sorrow is getting a lot of praise (and deservedly so), but these two songs have a great feel to them...

I agree completely- I love these two tracks!

Not only are they upbeat and lots of fun to listen to, but I think I can also hear the beginnings of Achtung Baby in them, with the heavy reliance on "bass and drums!" (love the way Bono says that, haha)- you can dance to them, which apart from maybe "Two Hearts Beat as One," you couldn't REALLY do with U2 until Achtung Baby came along :wink:

Also love the fact that "Desert" became "I Still Haven't Found", and the way Edge describes it as "a mix of reggae and gospel rhythms."

btw I love them so much I had to upload them, if anyone who doesn't have access yet wants to hear them:

Rise Up:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCzosWOKHhA

Desert of Our Love:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOcvYUOH6-Y&feature=related

:combust: :dance: :bonodrum: :hi5:

JCOSTER said:
I can't wait till December 1st (new budget starts) then I could get it. I'm all tapped out for November. :(

ya , our bank account was pretty low , but I picked JT up anyway .
I figured I'd end up spending more later if I waited .

mine is a do not open till December 25 .:hyper:

I've listened to this only on bootlegs, because I haven't received my JT edition yet, but I must say that I enjoy Wave of Sorrow most, hands down. Desert of our Love has an interesting beat, it's probably my 2nd fave. Rise up, I don't know, it doesn't do much for me. I am not fond of the vocals, too much mumbling from Bono, the track is kind of confusing me.

Now I'm looking forward to the original JT songs remastered and in good quality! :drool:

Desert of Our Love is my favorite track off the B-Side album, and Rise Up is great as well

dr. zooeuss said:
I agree completely- I love these two tracks!

Not only are they upbeat and lots of fun to listen to, but I think I can also hear the beginnings of Achtung Baby in them, with the heavy reliance on "bass and drums!" (love the way Bono says that, haha)- you can dance to them, which apart from maybe "Two Hearts Beat as One," you couldn't REALLY do with U2 until Achtung Baby came along :wink:

Also love the fact that "Desert" became "I Still Haven't Found", and the way Edge describes it as "a mix of reggae and gospel rhythms."

btw I love them so much I had to upload them, if anyone who doesn't have access yet wants to hear them:

Rise Up:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCzosWOKHhA

Desert of Our Love:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOcvYUOH6-Y&feature=related

:combust: :dance: :bonodrum: :hi5:

i didn't realize "desert" became "still haven't found"!!! thanks for that tidbit. now that you mention it, i can detect some similarities in the basslines.

I like these songs too. What a different album we would have gotten if these, along with The Sweetest thing had been included.

BonoVoxSupastar said:
These two had potential, but thank god Sweetest Thing was kept off...

Are you saying that because you don't appreciate the song? Or just that it wouldn't have fit with the album?

I love Sweetest Thing.:drool:

FullonEdge2 said:

Are you saying that because you don't appreciate the song? Or just that it wouldn't have fit with the album?

I love Sweetest Thing.:drool:

Both. It sticks out like a sore thumb from the rest of the JT material...

Plus, personally I think it's one of U2's worse.

Well, I really like the original b-side Sweetest Thing and can't stand the polished up single version. As for the new songs, I am suprised how much I actually like Desert. That 30 second clip did nothing for me weeks back. Rise up is great just for that bass alone.

Fair enough on the opinions of Sweetest Thing.

As for Rise Up and Desert--I listened to the songs through the youtube posts and they're certainly interesting. In the way of songs, they're pretty terrible. But that's to be expected because they sound like rough demos that the band never really got around to developing (well, except for Desert turning into ISHFWILF). I like the sound though. Classic Eno/Lanois U2.

I love Rise Up, but...It feels like another song, I'm just not sure waht it is and it's driving me crazy. I can hum whatever other song I'm reminded of, but I have no clue what it is, or even who it's by.

Heartland?

The guitar work at the beginning at least. I don't know. I'm probably wrong.

Last edited:
I'm bumping this because I couldn't find another thread on Rise Up, and I didn't want to start a new thread in case this had already been discussed, but um...

...Who the F*** is singing the first verse of Rise Up? Because I don't believe for a second that's Bono...

Back
Top Bottom