Dallas Morning News Bono Interview

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Regardless of what you think of it, I do think that Bono has a pretty strong way of working with (pandering to?) the right when he wants/needs to. You can certainly see a “oh I’m in Dallas I’d better but my conservative hat on” attitude here.

I can’t deny that it led to some really good and important results with W, though.

Cool to have Bono in my city at any rate.

W Bush is a horrible person responsible for the death of 100s of 1000s of Iraqis. He turned ignorance into a virtue and placed the worst people of the Christian Right in positions of power and he kicked people like me in the gut for political expediency.

He also got this one thing right.

Im sure something like this is upsetting to some people who are sick of Bono’s American blowjob and find it comforting to source the US as the cause of all bad things in the world.

But sometimes, some things do get better.

Bono said he'd like to go trail riding. Please don't ride a horse, Bono. :no: Bikes are bad enough!

Anyway, I admire Bono for actually being tolerant and open minded to other viewpoints; lots of people claim to be, but don't practice what they preach. He understands that just because someone has different political views from you doesn't necessarily make them a bad person. Also, just because someone shares your political views doesn't automatically make them a good person. He's got a lot of good sense in that way, and we need more of that in the world.

Anyway, I admire Bono for actually being tolerant and open minded to other viewpoints; lots of people claim to be, but don't practice what they preach. He understands that just because someone has different political views from you doesn't necessarily make them a bad person. Also, just because someone shares your political views doesn't automatically make them a good person. He's got a lot of good sense in that way, and we need more of that in the world.

This is a very true statement(both about Bono but more so about view points). I find that conversations have been replaced with arguments and there is no more discussion but rather “you are either with me or you’re a <insert generalization>”, which escalated the situation.

I believe that social media is a huge contributor to this as you don’t see the person or know their (real) name and you don’t need to think before you type because there are (usually) no repercussions.

Hell, it happens in a regular basis in this place.....”Rachel, you aren’t a XYZ, so you have no idea what it’s like and therefore can’t speak on the topic and need to shut up!” ...so....no dialog but just yelling and preaching ones position(I want to say someone called someone else a pedophile shortly before or after the release of SOE....how the hell does that happen in a U2 forum???? LOL)

Bono has always had a way of having that dialog and working to understand why people think the way they do and then working with that to change them (in some cases he has changed their position on things such as 3rd world debt or The AIDS crisis). That’s why I am so surprised/disappointed by his full tilt anti-Trump stance (From the Desire performance to the Fallen BTBS performance) as he never really goes “all in” like this. To your point, he is so good at understanding people that he usually can have a dialog to maybe change their mind on things but that’s not going to happen.

And before the massive Trump bashing starts....Im of the opinion that he is not a good guy(not even close), that he is isn’t a good representation of America but if you cut off all dialog and conversation then there is no hope for change or an evolution of thought.

That goes for any person. I mean what is more likely to make you sit back and go “okay, I see your point”:

1- “if you don’t like The Best Thing, you’re a piece of shit fake U2 fan who needs to go listen to Rush and die in a corner”

Or

2- “Best Thing has a fun feel to it and I like the drums that kick in after the first chorus and the song is one of few that actually showcases Edges vocals in a way that is just beautiful...blah blah blah”

You might still hate the song but one of those responses is going to make you reply with “Go fuck yourself” and the other is going to make you reply with “here is the problem with Best Thing and why I will always hate it”

Anyway, I admire Bono for actually being tolerant and open minded to other viewpoints; lots of people claim to be, but don't practice what they preach.

a lot of viewpoints, such as those based in bigotry, don't deserve to be tolerated.

w bush is definitely a bad person. his actions destabilized the finances, security and environment of a country and the world. we are still dealing with the messes he created.

the aids work was laudable though - it's proof that an awful human being can do something good.

I guess we all miss GWB at this stage...

Honestly, no. And I’m as anti-Trump as anyone.

Trump has not lied to start and unnecessary war, nor did he authorize the use of torture or propose singling out gay people for discrimination.

The caveat, though, is “yet.”

He's keeping transgender people out of the military. And refers to grabbing women by the pussy, calls them pieces of tail and even worse, claims he has promoted them like crazy in his businesses with no provided evidence of that. Hasn't really endorsed any substantive pro female agendas or legislation that I'm aware of.

Not to mention Charlottesville moral equivalency and other questionable minority related comments and actions.

George W. Bush is a murderer and a kind word should never be uttered about him. Don't even need Bono to speak ill of him, just say nothing. Fuck.

This is the best part of the interview:

...the undoing of my black-and-white view of things as a young man, were things like when people just didn't behave as the caricatures I had been told they were. I just had a lot of surprises. People whom I thought would be total [jerks] turned out to have a humanity and people I thought would be very inspirational let me down.

I started to be suspicious of clear political lines.

He also talks pretty openly and passionately, again, about his faith, and it's always interesting to watch a certain segment of U2 fans struggle with that.

I wonder if he'll pop into Chick-fil-a next time he's in New York!

Last edited:

Indeed! We need much, much more of this.

I like this side of Bono. Like me, he's an honest broker, and doesn't wish to get dragged down into all your petty, bourgeois partisan bickering.

yes, how petty to hate a guy who encouraged run-away climate change, who caused the global economy to collapse, and whose invasion of Iraq led to the deaths of millions, and fucking ISIS. His presidency directly led to Trump. The totality of the destruciton wrought by his presidency is astronomical, and it's still unknown how much more suffering will be cause by his policies. Let us instead respect his different views!

:huh:

Fuck him. I hope a stray spark catches his oils while he's painting.

yes, how petty to hate a guy who encouraged run-away climate change, who caused the global economy to collapse, and whose invasion of Iraq led to the deaths of millions, and fucking ISIS. His presidency directly led to Trump. The totality of the destruciton wrought by his presidency is astronomical, and it's still unknown how much more suffering will be cause by his policies.

Well we've all made mistakes.

yes, how petty to hate a guy who encouraged run-away climate change, who caused the global economy to collapse, and whose invasion of Iraq led to the deaths of millions, and fucking ISIS. His presidency directly led to Trump. The totality of the destruciton wrought by his presidency is astronomical, and it's still unknown how much more suffering will be cause by his policies. Let us instead respect his different views!

:huh:

Fuck him. I hope a stray spark catches his oils while he's painting.

i think you should go back and re-read the post by Honest Nick. he's usually right about everything, mostly because he's honest, he doesn't get caught up in the things that bog the rest of us down and cloud our vision, and is a broker between two opposing sides, because the one thing they can agree upon is his honesty.

that's why we call him "Honest Nick."

i think you should go back and re-read the post by Honest Nick. he's usually right about everything, mostly because he's honest, he doesn't get caught up in the things that bog the rest of us down and cloud our vision, and is a broker between two opposing sides, because the one thing they can agree upon is his honesty.

that's why we call him "Honest Nick."

1575f52e8af7cc3d5e50da22d8f387d9.jpg

W Bush is a horrible person responsible for the death of 100s of 1000s of Iraqis. He turned ignorance into a virtue and placed the worst people of the Christian Right in positions of power and he kicked people like me in the gut for political expediency.

He also got this one thing right.

Im sure something like this is upsetting to some people who are sick of Bono’s American blowjob and find it comforting to source the US as the cause of all bad things in the world.

But sometimes, some things do get better.

who are these 'people ike me' who were kicked in the gut that you speak of?

a lot of viewpoints, such as those based in bigotry, don't deserve to be tolerated.

w bush is definitely a bad person. his actions destabilized the finances, security and environment of a country and the world. we are still dealing with the messes he created.

the aids work was laudable though - it's proof that an awful human being can do something good.

i agree he was an awful president, but that does not mean he was an awful human being.

I'll say this for Bush...he could have dismantled Trump. For all the talk about how dumb the guy is, he was an incredibly shrewd politician, who knew how to campaign. At the first debate Trump would have said one of his trademark stupid things and Bush would have just given him a smirk and it would have been all over.

i agree he was an awful president, but that does not mean he was an awful human being.

so lying to start a needless war that has led to over a million dead and an extraordinary amount of suffering doesn't make one a bad person?

that's just one of the awful things he did too. he's a bad person.

He was an awful human being. The invasion of Iraq and torture remain unforgivable.

Well we'll agree to disagree. I was extremely disappointed and exasperated by the incompetence he displayed, and quite angered by his decisions and pesonnel choices (Cheney, Rummy, Ashcroft etc). So much so that I am much more left leaning now than I used to be.

But I do believe he was and is a good person who was in way over his head and made some terrible decisions. Decisions that were however well intentioned.

Not trying to make excuses for him. Just saying that we're not talking about Assad or Putin here.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom