Dallas Morning News Bono Interview

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
so lying to start a needless war that has led to over a million dead and an extraordinary amount of suffering doesn't make one a bad person?

that's just one of the awful things he did too. he's a bad person.

misreading intelligence reports, as the British and others also did, is not lying. But if you want to rewrite history, you can do so without my involvement.

weren't you the one who compared U2 to the Back Street Boys?

It all comes down to whether or not you believe good people are capable of doing terrible things.

If you do, then it's possible to look at W as a tragic figure, a patsy.

It you don't, then you probably think he's as evil as they come.

Or it'll probably just fall right along party lines, cause that's just how things are.

I wish there was someone with impenetrable honesty that could set us all straight.

Well we'll agree to disagree. I was extremely disappointed and exasperated by the incompetence he displayed, and quite angered by his decisions and pesonnel choices (Cheney, Rummy, Ashcroft etc). So much so that I am much more left leaning now than I used to be.

But I do believe he was and is a good person who was in way over his head and made some terrible decisions. Decisions that were however well intentioned.

Not trying to make excuses for him. Just saying that we're not talking about Assad or Putin here.

Oh, Assad and Putin are nothing. Bush was regularly compared to Hitler (yes, that one's an oldie but goodie).

Obama's drone program killed plenty of innocents. As many as Bush? Not by a Texas mile. But now we're just nitpicking over scale. Who here wishes David Geffen's yacht would catch fire with Obama on it because of Obama's drone program?

Anyone in international aid who has an ounce of integrity (including Bono) will tell you Bush did a lot more for saving lives in Africa than Obama (and every President before him) ever did. Why didn't Obama care about all those people starving and dying of AIDS in Africa the way Bush did? Bono actually got very little in exchange for singing COBL and Pride at the Lincoln Memorial. And was Obama's inaction in Syria, which arguably costs countless lives, "evil"?

But Obama's OK because he did some other stuff that people liked. Never mind the carnage.

I'm not comparing one bad President to one mediocre one. And I'm not interested in debating either's legacy. Bush's adventures in Iraq were devastating and misguided. Just saying the questions are not as simple as some would suggest.

And of course, Obama and Bush are just the shiny objects of recent memory. In fact, lots of our Presidents, including some of the most beloved (FDR) have done some pretty horrible things.

Last edited:
This has always been a point of contention for me, so while I appreciate Bono's willingness to meet with those he disagrees with, I do sort of wonder what is he getting out of it? I think it's a bit more than just being a humanitarian, sorry, I am cynical.

I know Edge implored Bono not to meet with Bush back in the early 2000s and Larry was a not fan of Bono sucking up to the likes of Bush and Tony Blair.

Overall, I am glad there is disagreement in the band and they can still work it out and function as a unit. I sometimes think Bono is just in too deep in that world that he can't really see why people might find it questionable. I get that you have to work with people you don't like or disagree with, but I can't imagine Bono is that dumb or naive. This is a guy who wrote Bullet the Blue Sky, so if he believes Bush or Blair are genuine (despite disagreeing with them regarding the Iraq War), I question his thinking.

I also find it stifling probably, like the idea of having to kiss politician's asses to get something and never being able to be truly outspoken. I suppose he sees it as being able to accomplish things that matter to him, but the people who he aligns himself with are iffy. And I believe Bush's presidency gave us Trump in many ways, along with the last 35 or so years really, so that includes Reagan, Bush I, Clinton, and Obama as well, all for varying reasons.

That said, the music is what hooked me and I still listen to it and love it, so U2 will always matter to me for that. Perhaps it's just age, but when I see the Bono of the 80s, I wonder what he would think of Bono today. But I guess that may be silly, cause we all evolve and change after all.

There's also the tax stuff and all their corporate mixing, which probably doesn't help that case either, but that's another thing.

This has always been a point of contention for me, so while I appreciate Bono's willingness to meet with those he disagrees with, I do sort of wonder what is he getting out of it? I think it's a bit more than just being a humanitarian, sorry, I am cynical.

I know Edge implored Bono not to meet with Bush back in the early 2000s and Larry was a not fan of Bono sucking up to the likes of Bush and Tony Blair.

Overall, I am glad there is disagreement in the band and they can still work it out and function as a unit. I sometimes think Bono is just in too deep in that world that he can't really see why people might find it questionable. I get that you have to work with people you don't like or disagree with, but I can't imagine Bono is that dumb or naive. This is a guy who wrote Bullet the Blue Sky, so if he believes Bush or Blair are genuine (despite disagreeing with them regarding the Iraq War), I question his thinking.

I also find it stifling probably, like the idea of having to kiss politician's asses to get something and never being able to be truly outspoken. I suppose he sees it as being able to accomplish things that matter to him, but the people who he aligns himself with are iffy. And I believe Bush's presidency gave us Trump in many ways, along with the last 35 or so years really, so that includes Reagan, Bush I, Clinton, and Obama as well, all for varying reasons.

That said, the music is what hooked me and I still listen to it and love it, so U2 will always matter to me for that. Perhaps it's just age, but when I see the Bono of the 80s, I wonder what he would think of Bono today. But I guess that may be silly, cause we all evolve and change after all.

There's also the tax stuff and all their corporate mixing, which probably doesn't help that case either, but that's another thing.

What got more done? Stage rants and playing concerts with a cause, or the willingness to meet with politicians?

What got more done? Stage rants and playing concerts with a cause, or the willingness to meet with politicians?

So this sums up my stance. A huge mega rock star did the most uncool thing by meeting with politicians (right or left) and risked major backlash from his friends and fans in order to get what he felt was right...done. He did that and to this day, even though his actions saved lives and got results, some still say “I still can’t believe he met with . As much as I dislike his political rants and commentary at shows, I truly admire and respect his actual actions(all that really matter) outside of the band.

This dude risked his reputation and career(or a major hit to hit) for what he believed was right.....it’s one reason I still stick with these guys and likely always will.

This has always been a point of contention for me, so while I appreciate Bono's willingness to meet with those he disagrees with, I do sort of wonder what is he getting out of it?

More money from the US for African famine and HIV relief during the Bush years than all the other Presidents before him combined?

I think it's a bit more than just being a humanitarian, sorry, I am cynical.

Its is more than being a humanitarian, and you don't have to apologise for being cynical. Your cynicism is warranted. Certainly Bono's activism has gotten into rooms and allowed him to cozy up with the elite of the elite, and be taken seriously by them, in a way that simply being a rock star never would. So I don't think it's unreasonable to say that all this fed Bono's massive ego as well.

That aside, I think humanitarian considerations, along with Bono's Christian ethic, has been the primary motivations for his good (albeit controversial) work on the world stage. He's incredibly well informed on this issue, which is more than you can say for most celebs with a cause. I think saving lives at the cost of a little of his rock star cred by associating with politicians his fan base might not like is worth it.

And lets remember, he has much more in common with them than he does most of his fans. As far as I can tell, Bono wasn't holding his nose and "sucking up" to Bush & Blair....its readily apparent that he genuinely likes them.

Last edited:
It all comes down to whether or not you believe good people are capable of doing terrible things.

good people are certainly capable of doing terrible things but when someone does many terrible things - and not a lot of good - then it's pretty hard to describe them as anything but bad. in the case of w, he's a bad person who did something good.

misreading intelligence reports, as the British and others also did, is not lying. But if you want to rewrite history, you can do so without my involvement.

weren't you the one who compared U2 to the Back Street Boys?

there's no history to rewrite, plenty of people knew that he and the british were lying at the time. to ignore that is to rewrite history

maybe i compared U2 to the backstreet boys, i don't know why. but i was probably joking. the best thing is pretty much a mediocre bsb song though, so maybe i was just ahead of my time

good people are certainly capable of doing terrible things but when someone does many terrible things - and not a lot of good - then it's pretty hard to describe them as anything but bad. in the case of w, he's a bad person who did something good.
Fair.

I see him more as an incompetent person as opposed to somebody with actual evil in their heart.

I think he knows that he was used as a pawn, and his totally keeping out of the spotlight while continuing to work on charitable endeavors is his way of repentance.

Not saying he's worthy of forgiveness because he also did and does good things - but he's certainly not out there on Fox News with his chest puffed out - so to me that shows a level of regret.

But I certainly can't see him in the same light as someone like Trump, who has zero conscience or ability to feel even the slightest bit of empathy.

It may be comparing a fart to a shit, but I do see a clear difference.

I agree that Bono deserves credit for meeting with politicians and his work is noble. In fact, to my eyes, Bush's record on Africa is practically the only highlight in a presidency that was an unmitigated disaster.

I don't buy the excuse that Bush was an incompetent person with no evil in his heart, who cares whether he was evil or not? At the end of the day, he was President and he chose to make those decisions. His decisions led to terrible (and expected) outcomes and that's something he will have to live with (granted I wish it was in a cell). What a heart for a guy who professed that Jesus Christ was his personal philosopher. Perhaps he should look to how Jesus defined the notion of hypocrite, given he's a big fan.

So I do kinda cringe when I see Bono cozying up to this guy (like that Instagram photo), but I guess that will always be the case because our relationship to Bush is very different. Unfortunately, no photo-op for Bono and Trump I'm afraid.

I agree that Bono deserves credit for meeting with politicians and his work is noble. In fact, to my eyes, Bush's record on Africa is practically the only highlight in a presidency that was an unmitigated disaster.

I don't buy the excuse that Bush was an incompetent person with no evil in his heart, who cares whether he was evil or not? At the end of the day, he was President and he chose to make those decisions. His decisions led to terrible (and expected) outcomes and that's something he will have to live with (granted I wish it was in a cell). What a heart for a guy who professed that Jesus Christ was his personal philosopher. Perhaps he should look to how Jesus defined the notion of hypocrite, given he's a big fan.

So I do kinda cringe when I see Bono cozying up to this guy (like that Instagram photo), but I guess that will always be the case because our relationship to Bush is very different. Unfortunately, no photo-op for Bono and Trump I'm afraid.
What excuse?

I make no excuses for his time in office, especially his second term. Incompetent is not a compliment.

I wish Bono would stop meeting with ALL politicians, let alone bad ones.

Fair enough, although I do think Bush wanted to invade Iraq himself, I don't think that was just all the neocons in his administration pressing him to do so. Hell, he chose all those people for a reason.

Agree on Bono, just give it a rest. Focus on the music more, it seems his activism has led him astray to being a full time band member.

Fair.

I see him more as an incompetent person as opposed to somebody with actual evil in their heart.

I think he knows that he was used as a pawn, and his totally keeping out of the spotlight while continuing to work on charitable endeavors is his way of repentance.

Not saying he's worthy of forgiveness because he also did and does good things - but he's certainly not out there on Fox News with his chest puffed out - so to me that shows a level of regret.

But I certainly can't see him in the same light as someone like Trump, who has zero conscience or ability to feel even the slightest bit of empathy.

Comparing a fart to a shit, perfect. Also, farts are funny and Bush II was amusing in a variety of ways - Trump is not.

Your assessment of him being more incompetent than evil is probably accurate, and I agree that there is a clear difference between him and Trump. Trump is a monstrous person.

Fair.

yup

Unfortunate for who?

It was a bad attempt at sarcasm, meaning Bono has drawn the line at working with Trump, which makes sense and I am glad he chooses not to (it likely wouldn't be successful anyway). As awful as Jesse Helms and Bush were, I imagine Bono was able to connect with them due to their faith. Trump has none, not to mention has no idea how government works in general.

Last edited:
It was a bad attempt at sarcasm, meaning Bono has drawn the line at working with Trump, which makes sense and I am glad he chooses not to (it likely wouldn't be successful anyway). As awful as Jesse Helms and Bush were, I imagine Bono was able to connect with them due to their faith. Trump has none, not to mention has no idea how government works in general.

On this we agree.

Fair enough, although I do think Bush wanted to invade Iraq himself, I don't think that was just all the neocons in his administration pressing him to do so. Hell, he chose all those people for a reason.

You mean Cheney chose all those people for a reason.

Agree on Bono, just give it a rest. Focus on the music more, it seems his activism has led him astray to being a full time band member.

Gee never heard that one before. Is this Reddit? ;)

Being over 50 with a family is what's led him astray from being a full time band member. They're not kids anymore, U2 is only a full time band when they're touring. I don't believe U2 would record with any more speed or prolificacy without Bono's activism.

it's been an issue since ATYCLB.

Given their propensity to second guess, and burn through producers, and produce records to death, do you really think Bono's activism is the reason we haven't had more U2 records since 2000?

U2 released five records in past seventeen years (ATYCLB-SOE), which is a record roughly every 3.5 years. In the seventeen years prior, they released seven records (War-Pop), or a record roughly every 2.5 years. A drop off to be sure, but relatively small, and understandable one. I don't see any reason to believe they'd be significantly more productive (in terms of studio records) had Bono been golfing instead of saving the planet. In fact, their post-2000 pace is roughly on par with REM, and while I haven't looked, I'd say their other contemporaries have fared more or less the same.

In terms of touring, according to Axver's site, they played 632 shows between 1983-2000, and have played (or will play) 629 shows 2000 through the first two legs of E.+1. Pretty astonishingly comparable.

No doubt, Bono's activism may have been an issue with the band, and an annoyance to Larry, but I don't think we'd have more U2 without it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom