Crumbs From Your Table = AWESOME

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rob33

Rock n' Roll Doggie
Ok this song fucking owns...it should've been played more on Vertigo Tour...check out this version from New York:

(pay attention to the verse "where you live should not decide...." and the 3:48 mark when Bono sings "from your table" - that note is ZooTV-like coolness and just beautiful the way he says table!) :lol:

YouTube - U2 - Crumbs From Your Table (Vertigo New York)

Anyone think they'll be bringing it back next tour? I think it would be awesome...more people need to hear this one live!

Nope. Didn't really work live, in my opinion... although it wouldn't surprise me if it turned up in an acoustic reinvention.

This song does nothing for me. I admire the intention, but the music doesn't inspire me in any way. The song seems a bit clumsy, especially live.

I have always loved Crumbs and this is a killer performance of it. Bono's vocals on the song are fantastic, and the music has so much energy.

Thanks for sharing this Rob! :wave:

Oh, and I must admit I played the 3:48 mark over and over. Very cool indeed. :drool:

The song seems a bit clumsy, especially live.

You know, I think Bono's voice and singing style are not well suited to these sort of fast, up-tempo, high key verses. Actually for being a song with such verses, for me they really pull it off without it sounding clumsy -- but the potential for it is noticeable. The one song that really suffered because of such verses in my opinion is All Because of You. I love the music (esp. Edge's guitar), the chorus, and adore the "I'm alive/I'm being born.." bit at the end, but the verses just sound awkward as hell, especially live. Bono's voice is much better suited to more melodic stuff in the verses imho. :)

You know, I think Bono's voice and singing style are not well suited to these sort of fast, up-tempo, high key verses. Actually for being a song with such verses, for me they really pull it off without it sounding clumsy -- but the potential for it is noticeable. The one song that really suffered because of such verses in my opinion is All Because of You. I love the music (esp. Edge's guitar), the chorus, and adore the "I'm alive/I'm being born.." bit at the end, but the verses just sound awkward as hell, especially live. Bono's voice is much better suited to more melodic stuff in the verses imho. :)

I agree with your criticisms, and like you, enjoy the song despite them. I always felt the verses were sung awkwardly, but really couldn't put my finger on it. And I think your comparison to ABOY is apt as well. This song may not be as "fun" as ABOY but it has a lot more depth, and the chorus does save it, especially with Bono's shouted "HEY!" after the final one. The joy is contagious.

This certainly deserved more performances on the tour, but you could say the same thing about the great versions of Fast Cars and Discotheque that are available, not to mention the electric guitar version of Original of the Species that is to the acoustic version what filet mignon is to dogshit (and we're not talking purebred dog, either).

The never quite got this song down live, but the studio version will always be a favorite of mine. It's a very good song.

Best song from the second half of HTDAAB, easily. The apathy-to-antipathy toward it in certain fan circles makes as much sense as crop circles to me...

Top tune, but then again, all songs from HTDAAB were top tunes. They just sounded awkward being slapped together on the same disc.

Pretty cracking chorus, and awesome outro.

intedomine: THANK YOU. That's what I've been saying forever and no one wants to listen. HTDAAB is full of great songs, it's just that it lacks a certain cohesion that, say, ATYCLB has.

"Crumbs From Your Table", however, is iffy to me. I think it's a great tune, and I think it's a fantastic chorus.

I'll go out on a limb and say that, while some of the people on here call Bomb "overproduced", I think Crumbs isn't produced ENOUGH. It sounds too...standard. I know it sounds strange to call a song "too U2-sounding", especially in the Bomb/ATYCLB era, but this one doesn't have any sonic quality that makes it sound outstanding to me. Echo-covered slightly-distorted ringing guitar? Check. Mid-pace tempo? Check. Descending-note-guitar-solo-into-huge-chorus? Check. It all seems too stock.

I think Crumbs needed a little more studio "magic" that could turn it into something more otherworldly. Chords, arrangement, and melody are fine, but the sonic element leaves something to be desired.

And the lyrics? Bono needs to rewrite these. I am the first to say that Bono is my favorite lyricist, and I don't care what anyone says. But these past two albums have been iffy, lyrically. "With a mouth full of teeth, you ate all your friends?" "Where you live should not decide whether you live or whether you die?" Cringe-worthy.

Oh yeah the Amsterdam performance is probably my favorite version of the song ever. From what I remember, Bono thought so too. :cute:

Interesting...is there a bootleg of this at least? I'd love to hear this version. :hmm:

Definitely definitely definitely get this boot Rob. If you go on u2start, it's 07/16/05, which is the third Amsterdam boot in the list. Wow, I just looked it up and it has like a million parts to download, but it's so worth it!

hahaha...I'll definitely do this...in fact I'm going to download this thing right now...thanks soooo much :)

i thought it was a filler song. most songs on bomb are just average tunes.
also bono's voice is just fucking annoying on this track, maby a good instrumental.

OOTS has to be the only good song on Bomb.

Definitely definitely definitely get this boot Rob. If you go on u2start, it's 07/16/05, which is the third Amsterdam boot in the list. Wow, I just looked it up and it has like a million parts to download, but it's so worth it!
They did NOT play Crumbs on that particular night and that's for sure cause I was there:wink: The setlist was spectacular anyway.:up:

Crumbs is my 2nd favorite song from Bomb. I got the chance to see them play it live when I saw them at The Garden in Fall of 2005. :up:

For some reason I felt "Crumbs.." should have been track 2 on the album. It would have made the song a more house-hold U2 song while giving HTDAAB that punch it lacks after Vertigo.

I do enjoy "Crumbs", as it starts what I think is one of U2's strongest B-sides to an album. Hope they play it next tour :)

Crumbs and Original are the best two songs on HTDAAB. Original took longer to grow on me, but Crumbs I loved from the very first listen.

The first time I heard those opening notes of Edge's, I was transported right back to 1987, I felt the song could easily have fit on Joshua Tree. I know probably noone will agree with me.

I really loved it live too, maybe it was rough, they only did it a few times?

Back
Top Bottom