'Crazy Tonight': Live 360 remix version or album version?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Valoria

The Fly
Hi everyone,
I was just wondering what you all thought of the metamorphasis of "Crazy Tonight" from the album cut version to the 360 remix version. Do you have a preference, and if you do, why?
Personally, I prefer the remix version showcased on this tour. I felt the album version was rather ordinary-sounding, but the remix version was something of a revelation: I think it captures some of the experimental side they could have explored--I actually think the remix might have fit more on "NLOTH" with the African drumming vibe; in a live setting, in particular, though, it seems really to "catch fire" with the audience.
Anyway, just wondering what you all think...:wave:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=civVFk2pI9s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msCCBPy8iCk

I kind of reluctantly like the album version - I think it's one of the weakest songs on the album, and yet it earworms its way into my brain and I'll find myself singing it.

I think the live remix version is amazingly fun. Just love it. Definitely a highlight of the shows.

I also like the other remixes of it.

Very easy question - live version every time. Especially the Croke Park cut from Artificial Horizon.

I love them both, but in different ways. The album version is just really joyful...and when I first heard the remix via YouTube, I did not like it at all. But after hearing it live, it ended up being one of my favorite parts of the show. Remix is definitely better for playing live.

The remix. The album version is an okay pop song; the remix is one of their all-time best transformations of a song live.

Live version hands down!!!! It has great energy and makes me want to :dancing:!!! Great song to listen to on the way to work!!!

the album version
live version - Letterman show
live remix

that being said, I still think the remix is good fun and a bit of a live highlight

Remix. You cannot judge it until you've actually heard it live yourself. It's awesome.

I do like the album version though, it's one of my favourites off NLOTH.

they both suck

Yep. The studio version is a silly little song that could have been fun as a sing-along, something like Elevation, but that remix came on, and I really dislike it. Just don't find anything remotely interesting about it.

Remix hands down. Never big on the album version myself. I remember hearing it and thinking it was sort of a safe version of Walk On. The remix live was one of the highlights of the show I went to last fall as well, which says a lot.

For an album, the studio version
For a live setting, the remix version

Neither would really fit if they both switched places. They are exactly where they should be. They could have probably done the same treatment to any number of their songs though, to be honest. So I really can't give the remix any more credit than the original.

Live version, hands down, no questions asked. Admittedly, the album version is fun in a "silly pop song" way, but the remix is one of the coolest excursions into electronica they've ever done...and I include the entirety of the nineties in that statement.

At first I actually didn't like the album version at all, but loved the tour version because of the energy. It just really gets you going and it's definately one of the most anticipated moments of the show (hey, at least you get Larry out behind of those big drums!). But somehow thanks to it, I came to appreciate the album version too, so now I like both, but remix still remains my favourite :)

Live remix version, for sure.
Recorded version does nothing for me. It is one of my least favourite songs on the album. To me, the album version just sounds like a song that can be delivered by anyone.

I mean, from the lyrical point of view song remains weak no matter what, but at least live version creates a great atmosphere and makes you wanna dance.

Album version ALL the way for me. Im not a fan of dance music/remixes really, and i pretty much dislike all u2 dance remixes.

Was it you who started the original "What the fuck did they do to Crazy Tonight???" thread? :wink:

Album version = 00s U2 in the vein of ATYCLB's side 2, missing the poignant political times, mixed with a long, wet fart

Live version = WTF novelty factor quickly wears off after one sitting, I think the band knows that this song is pretty below-average

The live version is verrrrry slowly growing on me (I absolutely hated it at first - now I'm neutral), but I still much prefer the album version.

Live version = WTF novelty factor quickly wears off after one sitting, I think the band knows that this song is pretty below-average
Do you mean the live version or the album version, or both? Cos I think they love the live version.

Was it you who started the original "What the fuck did they do to Crazy Tonight???" thread? :wink:

it was.

i haaaaaated it on first listen. now i merely dislike it.

i'd really like it if they gave the album version a shot, and ditched the remix version live. if it really doesn't work then just ditch it all together. if they need a trippy song to play as a transition and get the crowd going, i'd much rather see some Pop in that spot of the setlist... some discotheque or mofo.

Back
Top Bottom