Could The Edge be one of the 5 greatest guitarists of all time?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hasin73

Refugee
Street mission, Bullet live, Fly, One tree hill, Kite live, Holy joe, Knocking on heaven's door live[Sydney 18-11-1989],Dancing barefoot, All along watch tour live, Hawk moon live, WGRYWH live in East Rutherford in 92, Silver and gold live------

solos from those songs clearly shows that if EDGE wanted, he could be one of the top 5 guiter players. But he concentrates more on being part of the song then show off. In my opinion he is a true genius.

the The Edge comes in at 24. Not enough solos from the The Edge to get him higher on the list.

Rolling Stone 100 Greatest Guitarists

1 Jimi Hendrix - Can't argue with this. With his output cut short, he could have been much greater.
2 Duane Allman of the Allman Brothers Band - Cetainly the greatest slide guitarist ever. Another career cut short.
3 B.B. King - I assume he's this high because of influence and what he accomplished in a long career. Technically, he's got the blues chops but doesn't really waver much from that.
4 Eric Clapton - I probably differ in opinion from many, but to me, Clapton peaked on Dekek and the Dominos and his solo records have been spotty at best. He was great for a time but never really blows me away.
5 Robert Johnson - Blues legend. Recordings aren't very listenable. Created so much but relatively unheard. I have trouble with this only because he really wasn't as good as many below him but without him, they wouldn't exist.
6 Chuck Berry - Should be no. 1 in my opinion. Created rock and roll guitar. People still try to copy his licks.
7 Stevie Ray Vaughan - Many people differ on Stevie. Some call him a Hendrix rip off. Either way, he was certainly a phenomonal guitar player.
8 Ry Cooder - Played so many different instruments and in so many different styles, it tends to water down his influence. Great player.
9 Jimmy Page of Led Zeppelin - Always thought him a bit sloppy. Came up with great riffs and the Stairway solo is probably one of the greatest of all time.
10 Keith Richards of the Rolling Stones - Not sure about this. Great rhythm guitar player. Great song writer. Great guitar player? I'd put him around 25.
11 Kirk Hammett of Metallica - Some great stuff. Some crappy stuff. Would I put him this high? Probably not. Master of Puppets is a great guitar album though.
12 Kurt Cobain of Nirvana - No way. Yes he started grunge and alternate music. Was NOT a great guitar player. Wrote great songs. Should be around 50.
13 Jerry Garcia of the Grateful Dead - Never been a fan of the Dead so I feel that might unfairly lower my opinion of Jerry. I like some stuff but I've never listened to a Dead song and had the guitar work jump out at me.
14 Jeff Beck - Great player. Small amount of impressive recorded work. Besides Blow by Blow, not a lot of listenable stuff.
15 Carlos Santana - Very good. Impressive output. A bit repetitive in solo work. Great feel player.
16 Johnny Ramone of the Ramones - Started punk rock in America. Great player? Since any guitar player can learn a Ramones song in about 2 minutes, I would disagree. Influential but not great.
17 Jack White of the White Stripes - I have no idea why he is on the list at all let alone this high. The fact that Eddie Van Halen is at 70 and Jack White is 17 is a travesty. Rolling Stone has a huge bias towards this group.
18 John Frusciante of the Red Hot Chili Peppers - Good player. Fun licks. A little high but Rolling Stone had to put some names on here that some of their readers would recognize.
19 Richard Thompson - Good player that not alot of people have heard of. Hard to find his CDs as many are out of print.
20 James Burton - Country guitar picker. I haven't heard anything from him so I won't comment.
21 George Harrison - Way too high. Nice slide guitar player. Not a great guitarist.
22 Mike Bloomfield - Great blues player.
23 Warren Haynes - Joined the Allman Brothers in 1989. Nice player. A little high on the list.
24 The Edge of U2 - Hard for me to comment on Edge. Created a style of playing. Did some really nice stuff. Not a great solo player though.
25 Freddy King - Another early blues player.
26 Tom Morello of Rage Against the Machine and Audioslave - Always thought every Rage song sounded exactly the same. Too high on the list.
27 Mark Knopfler of Dire Straits - Should be higher. Great style. Great solos. Amazing stuff.
28 Stephen Stills - Very good player. Doesn't show off a lot but has the chops. Some acoustic work is very complex.
29 Ron Asheton of the Stooges - Sigh. I guess he's here for the same reason the Johnny Ramone is here.
30 Buddy Guy - Great blues player.
31 Dick Dale - The King of Surf Guitar. Great player. One of the fastest ever.
32 John Cipollina of Quicksilver Messenger Service - Never heard any of their music. Can't comment.
33 & 34 Lee Ranaldo, Thurston Moore of Sonic Youth - Great at making feedback noises. Created a new guitar style.
35 John Fahey - Brilliant folk guitar player. Probably only about 10 guys on this list could even play his stuff.
36 Steve Cropper of Booker T. and the MG's - Played as a studio musician on countless records. Great solo player.
37 Bo Diddley - Blues innovator.
38 Peter Green of Fleetwood Mac - Haven't heard a lot of his stuff, but what I have was pretty good.
39 Brian May of Queen - Love his guitar work and sound. Amazing stuff. Should be way higher. Listen to the Sheer Heart Attack album (not the song) if you don't agree. Metalica even covered a song from it.
40 John Fogerty of Creedence Clearwater Revival - Swamp guitar at its finest.
41 Clarence White of the Byrds - Hard for me to pick out exactly what he played on the Byrds songs. Not sure about him.
42 Robert Fripp of King Crimson - Another group I never liked but he's obviously good.
43 Eddie Hazel of Funkadelic - Should be in the top 10. Equal to Hendrix.
44 Scotty Moore - Pioneer guitarist on many Elvis songs.
45 Frank Zappa - Should be in the top 10. Insane at 45. Half the guys above him couldn't play his stuff with a year of practice.
46 Les Paul - Most people only think of him as making the guitar. Was a great player also.
47 T-Bone Walker - Early blues player.
48 Joe Perry of Aerosmith - Some good stuff. Some stuff recorded while stoned and sounds horrible.
49 John McLaughlin - Influential jazz guitar player. Should be higher.
50 Pete Townshend - Created the windmill and some of the greatest guitar songs ever. Not a great soloist but should be higher.
51 Paul Kossoff of Free - Ok with this placement.
52 Lou Reed - I don't think even Lou Reed would put himself this high. Wrote some great songs though.
53 Mickey Baker - Early guitarist that played a lot of session work. Was on many big hits.
54 Jorma Kaukonen of Jefferson Airplane - Love Jorma. Brilliant player. Should be higher. Solo work and Hot Tuna stuff better than Airplane songs.
55 Ritchie Blackmore of Deep Purple - Great soloist.
56 Tom Verlaine of Television - I like his stuff alot, especially the Matthew Sweet Girlfriend album.
57 Roy Buchanan - Great blues player.
58 Dickey Betts - Held his own with Duane Allman, I think that counts for higher than 58.
59 & 60 Jonny Greenwood, Ed O'Brien of Radiohead - Here because the band is popular. I love Radiohead but not "greatest" guitar players.
61 Ike Turner - Not a fan.
62 Zoot Horn Rollo of the Magic Band - Played on Trout Mask replica. Not sure why here's on the list.
63 Danny Gatton - Virtuoso player, mostly rockabilly.
64 Mick Ronson - Played with Bowie and Ian Hunter. Not as well known as he should be.
65 Hubert Sumlin - Blues guitarist for Howlin' Wolf.
66 Vernon Reid of Living Colour - Really like his playing. Relatively short life span of the group affects his rating.
67 Link Wray - If you've seen a Quentin Tarantino movie, you've heard Link Wray.
68 Jerry Miller of Moby Grape - Moby Grape has some nice guitar work but I'd put 20 other guys on this list first.
69 Steve Howe of Yes - Should be way higher. Very complicated intricate guitar work.
70 Eddie Van Halen - Should be in the top 10. This is insane.
71 Lightnin' Hopkins - Early blues player.
72 Joni Mitchell - Very complicated player. Lots of strange tunings. Very melodic. Not a soloist though.
73 Trey Anastasio of Phish - I like Try a lot. Should be higher.
74 Johnny Winter - Should be in the top 20 or at least ahead of the other blues players. Great player.
75 Adam Jones of Tool - Like Tool's songs. Guitar never stood out to me. Guess i need to listen more closely.
76 Ali Farka Toure - West African player. Never heard of him. Can't comment.
77 Henry Vestine of Canned Heat - Uggh. Going to the Country is one of my all time least favorite songs. Maybe other stuff is good.
78 Robbie Robertson of the Band - Very underrated. Great "feel" guitarist. His guitar sounds searing on The Last Waltz. Should be higher.
79 Cliff Gallup of the Blue Caps - Played guitar for Gene Vincent (Bee Bop a Lula). Early impressive guitarist.
80 Robert Quine of the Voidoids - Also of Television. Like his work of Matthew Sweet's albums.
81 Derek Trucks - Nephew of Virgil. Competent player.
82 David Gilmour of Pink Floyd - Comfortably Numb is one of the greatest solos ever. Should be way higher.
83 Neil Young - Not a great player but well known. I like his songs a lot but it doesn't make him one of the greatest 100 guitarists.
84 Eddie Cochran - Died early. Good pinoneer guitarist (Summertime Blues).
85 Randy Rhoads - Should be in the top 10. Amazing player. Died too young.
86 Tony Iommi of Black Sabbath - More of a riff player than known for solos. Probably why he's at 86.
87 Joan Jett - I have no idea why she's on this list. Where's Bonnie Raitt? She could play circles around Joan Jett. Looking good in leather pants gets you on the list I guess.
88 Dave Davies of the Kinks - I love the Kinks. Dave created some of the great early guitar styles.
89 D. Boon of the Minutemen - Haven't heard any of his stuff. Can't comment.
90 Glen Buxton of Alice Cooper - Very good player.
91 Robby Krieger of the Doors - Hate the Doors but respect Kreiger.
92 & 93 Fred "Sonic" Smith, Wayne Kramer of the MC5 - On here for one song - Kick Out The Jams.
94 Bert Jansch - Never heard his work.
95 Kevin Shields of My Bloody Valentine - Like Sonic Youth, the wall of distortion and sound. Not technically impressive.
96 Angus Young of AC/DC - He's better than you think.
97 Robert Randolph - Pedal Steel player. Have not heard him.
98 Leigh Stephens of Blue Cheer - ????
99 Greg Ginn of Black Flag - Good punk guitarist.
100 Kim Thayil of Soundgarden - Pretty good guitarist.

He could be. It's all a matter of opinion. I find him a great guitarist, but I do realise compared to other guitarist his style can be described as ' simple' and dependant on effects and such, and yea the solo's aren't huge and bombastic.. :shrug: fine by me, it suits u2's music

Oh yes, Rolling Stone is the word of God.

Exaclty SP, they are anything but aka the comments I have made about their choices.

My top Guitarists are:-

Les Paul
Django Reinhardt
Alex Lifeson
Al Di Meola
Robert Fripp
Chet Atkins
Bo Diddley
Steve Hackett
Adrian Belew
Tim Sult (simple & powerful)

He is if you ask me :shrug:

Mark Knopfler :love: Want your mind blown? Listen to Sultans of Swing from the Alchemy live album.

And that list is redundant with Dave Gilmour that low. Shine on You Crazy Diamond? Time? The entire Animals album? Comfortably freaking Numb???

These are always interesting threads. They're also quite useless when there are no criteria to check against.
What makes someone THE number one guitar player of the world? How can we measure that?
Is it the number of notes he can play in 5 seconds, is it the avarage length of a solo, is it the number of effects used, or does it all come down to taste? Music is not like sports, you can't be the best at making music.

As for the "notes per second": listen to some of the solo's played during Desire (love town version). It seems like Edge can be real quick if he wants to.

Dik Evans is the best guitarist in the world.

Great in the Hype.

Great for the Virgin Prunes.

Fantastic in The Screech Owls.

Edge is definitely among the top 2 guitarists in U2, and even probably the number one guitarist, for most pundits.

Whether he is among the top 5 all-time great guitarists is a matter of competition since you cannot compare based on musical styles because all guitarists try to fit in with the musical genre of their group.

The only way to find out is to set up a competition. My guess is that there are probably 100 unknown YouTube guys who would beat most of the guitarists listed here in a competition.

Imo, The Edge is definitely way way up there in terms of inventiveness and creativity but to have him above Gilmour - way down at 82 - is crazy. A lot of Floyd fans believe The Edge ripped his entire sound from the 'Run Like Hell' guitar work. I woulnd't agree but there you go.

Truly inventive guitarists like Jonny Greenwood of Radiohead, Nick McCabe of The Verve and so many more that I can't grab from the air at the moment, are always underrated in lists like this in comparison to 'guitar-hero' shredders who judge greatness by how fast they can play a solo.

He could be. It's all a matter of opinion. I find him a great guitarist, but I do realise compared to other guitarist his style can be described as ' simple' and dependant on effects and such, and yea the solo's aren't huge and bombastic.. :shrug: fine by me, it suits u2's music

I agree with Galeongirl,
So what if Edge can't play a 30 min solo, he can give more to a song than most of those players can imho, he is one of the best at creating a mood and feel for a song to accompany the lyrics and overall meaning and purpose , which I think is far more impressive than someone who can play fast solos all day. so for this reason I think Edge is one of the best, he gives a song what it needs! also I believe his simple but effective style of playing gives him the tag "a guitar hero" because he is influential to so many young guitarists in that he didnt know much about theory or complex guitar playing when he started and he still managed to create a unique and distinctive sound of his own!

Eddie Van Halen at #70 is a much bigger travesty than Edge being at #24....and I loooove Edge, but Eddie has to be top ten, if not #2!

My personal top five:

Hendrix
Gilmour
Townshend
Page
Frusciante

The Edge is in about the right spot.

My top 10 all-time:

1. Jimmy Page
2. David Gilmour
3. Jimi Hendrix
4. Pete Townshend
5. Steve Howe
6. The Edge
7. Mick Ronson
8. Duane Allman
9. Joe Perry
10. Eddie Hazel

Hendrix
Vaughan
Allman
Page
Townshend
Gilmour
Reinhardt
Clapton
Richards/Jones/Wood (they cannot be separated)
Santana

My top 3 ,

01 John Frusciante ( the man`s a genius )
02 The Edge ( same goes for him...genius )
03 Jimmy Hendrix ( absolute genius too )

No one comes near these three.

Cheers ,

Mauwer

The Edge and Charlie Burchill are Top 5. It's not about being fast. It's all about creativity, moods and textures.

Honestly, I've never heard anything that makes John Frusciante stand out as a guitarist. Maybe, like Edge, it's not so much his technical skill that makes him special, but I don't like the songs much either. :shrug:

Stephen Malkmus not being on that RS list is a travesty. I'm not saying he's Top 5 material or anything, but to me he's the best around still making decent music.

Aside from Mercy what has Edge even done in the last 10 years that's very noteworthy or fresh?

Back
Top Bottom