Could The Edge be one of the 5 greatest guitarists of all time?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have been playing the guitar for over 20 years and I could never play like Nuno. He can do things most cannot. However, GOD was that BORING!!!! What is the point? I prefer guitar players who can play well in the context of a real song.

Paul Simon is a great guitar player.

These discussions are totally pointless at the best of times, but it would at least be more focused if we were to isolate some specific aspect of guitar playing, or (better yet) identify the criteria or what makes someone "best". Clearly, if you're interpreting "best" as best solo-ist or most dominant and flashly musician, The Edge would not be on any list. If you're identifying "best" as most innovative and influential, maybe Edge would be on the list. If you're identifying it as "all around songwriter / musician / player", Edge should undoubtedly be in the top 10, because he's a far better writer / composer than almost anybody else mentioned on this thread (he's miles ahead of people like Hendrix, Clapton, et al.).

I think the most innovative guitarists were Chuck Berry and Jimi Hendrix.

My favorite soloist would be John Squire (a lot of people like Duane Allman in this category.)

As overall writers/composers/players, Edge is certainly up there, as is Lennon and McCartney, Joni Mitchell, etc., etc.

At the end of the day, it's rarer to find musicians who can write and compose great songs than it is to find great instumentalists.

(I also note that this thread is now 9 pages long and not a single woman mentioned, except when someone said Joan Jett sucks. The guitar is indeed the ultimate phallic instrument.)

exactly....that's why Van Halen sucks :up:

You were agreeing with me, which is why it pains me to disagree with you here but:

I love Van Halen (Roth era only). It's just fun music. I don't look at it as serious art (which is what they tried with Hagar and failed at miserably). It's just fun little rock n' roll ditties. Nothing wrong with a little light entertainment every now and then.

im sure even bono can play that. its all rhythm, check this out. its nuno bettencourt (extreme) he plays fast but its all melody and sweet playing.listen to it when it gets all slow and soulful at the end. saw these guys last week in LA fucking insane, Best guitar player!!
YouTube - Extreme / Nuno's "Flight of the Wounded Bumblebee" 1991

That guy's tone is awful.

His technique is brilliant, BUT MY GOD, it sounds like he's plugged his guitar into a shitty Ibanez practise amp.

Back
Top Bottom