Cosmos Thoughts III: U2 "WTF were they thinking" moments

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Can't go wrong with Vertigo live, especially when it was between City of Blinding Lights and the Crazy Tonight remix. So good.

Im not a fan of Crazy Tonight, remix or other, but specifically the remix is probably one of those "WTF" moments for me. I know im in the minority but i guess thats all good.

Im not a fan of Crazy Tonight, remix or other, but specifically the remix is probably one of those "WTF" moments for me. I know im in the minority but i guess thats all good.

There were some brilliant parts to it. The chorus, the end, and whenever they snippet any Pop material. But the rest is so-so. The Artificial Horizon version is pretty good. But I usually just skip the first 4 minutes.

Ok. So yeah. Just listened to the U22 version of EBTTRT. Then listened to the Glastonbury version. Yeah. That was pretty awful.

Not quite strange when you know they lost their IEM feed and everything since the idiot DJ that was on stage before them knocked over Terry's laptop and set. U2 really are nothing without their electronics, sadly.

Not quite strange when you know they lost their IEM feed and everything since the idiot DJ that was on stage before them knocked over Terry's laptop and set. U2 really are nothing without their electronics, sadly.

Yeah, talk about dependence.

Yep, I'm surprised that they managed to keep everything on time without it. It just sounded very thin because a bunch of layers were missing. Throughout the final leg, the song was full of exciting bells and whistles, including some light sampling.

The U22 version is just...my God, they really got this remix right:

U2 Even Better Than The Real Thing (360° Live From Mexico City) [Multicam By Mek with U22's Audio] - YouTube

I wish Bono's vocals were a lot stronger but it's :drool: otherwise

Okay, another WTF moment.

U2's Slane Castle gig.

You may be going "what the fuck man, you're insane! That DVD's excellent and emotional, and the performance of A Sort Of Homecoming is magic, if ragged!" And I'd agree.

Because I'm not talking about their 2001 appearance.

I'm talking about their 1981 appearance, with all the new October songs prior to their release...or Bono writing proper lyrics for them.

I think it's sort of amazing, but what the fuck were they thinking?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klVTX_qiGuI

U2's Slane Castle gig.

You may be going "what the fuck man, you're insane! That DVD's excellent and emotional, and the performance of A Sort Of Homecoming is magic, if ragged!" And I'd agree.

I'm talking about their 1981 appearance, with all the new October songs prior to their release...or Bono writing proper lyrics for them.

Musically, most of the performances pass muster, but Bono is basically mumbling his way through I Threw a Brick and October, the latter is which is sunk by an ill-advised a capella section.

Rejoice sounded fantastic even then. Apparently the awesome "I can't change the world/but I can change the world in me" line had been kicking around for a while.

Last edited:
Yep, I'm surprised that they managed to keep everything on time without it. It just sounded very thin because a bunch of layers were missing. Throughout the final leg, the song was full of exciting bells and whistles, including some light sampling.

The U22 version is just...my God, they really got this remix right:

U2 Even Better Than The Real Thing (360° Live From Mexico City) [Multicam By Mek with U22's Audio] - YouTube

I wish Bono's vocals were a lot stronger but it's :drool: otherwise

:drool:'ing with you there. It was amazing to see live, definitely the highlight of 2011 with Zooropa for me.

U2's Slane Castle gig.

I personally think the october album is a wtf album( bar gloria) its u2's only crap album in my opinion.

I personally think the october album is a wtf album( bar gloria) its u2's only crap album in my opinion.

I cut it slack cause its early. I love I Fall Down, October and Tomorrow. I think Tomorrow is one of their best songs of the 80's. But the rest is so-so. Is that all? is a really strange album closer. I always turn it off after Scarlet. October would've been a much better closer. So I guess my wtf moment is closing with "Is that all?"

I cut it slack cause its early. I love I Fall Down, October and Tomorrow. I think Tomorrow is one of their best songs of the 80's. But the rest is so-so. Is that all? is a really strange album closer. I always turn it off after Scarlet. October would've been a much better closer. So I guess my wtf moment is closing with "Is that all?"

I think it has to do with Bono looking at the band and thinking about their purpose and feeling "Is that all?" The answer of course was the War album. The song is kind of a crossroads.

Vertigo is one of those songs, love it or hate it, that just blows up when played live. It was a great single at a great time for the band, sounded great on radio and got some people interested again who had wandered off.

I've seen it played live 5 times now and its never disappointed. I think the best one had to be in Nashville 2011, after a long HOT day of waiting in line in the July heat, the band came out and played with such intensity like nothing i had ever seen before. You wouldn't believe the looks on the faces of the crowd, young and old, as u2 went through their setlist. Lots of people completely blown away like they had no idea u2 were so good live. These are among the moments i live for.

You know, those Spring/ Summer shows of 2011 were pure magic. I've seen at least 25 shows since 1997, and the one in Jersey in 2011 was probably top 3. The weather was scorching, and so were they. It seems everyone on this board who had gone to those shows has given stellar reviews as well.

You know, those Spring/ Summer shows of 2011 were pure magic. It seems everyone on this board who had gone to those shows has given stellar reviews as well.

I agree, many of those 2011 shows eclipsed a good amount of 2009 and 2010 shows. Being at one of the 2011 shows was an incredible experience.

You know, those Spring/ Summer shows of 2011 were pure magic. I've seen at least 25 shows since 1997, and the one in Jersey in 2011 was probably top 3. The weather was scorching, and so were they. It seems everyone on this board who had gone to those shows has given stellar reviews as well.

Right on. Even St. Louis was pretty spectacular, though im not a big fan of that city. But the show was great. My first u2 concert was there in 1997 and the last one in 2011.

Still not as egotistical as Bono 2003-2009.

thumbsup.gif

A Year in Pop was mildly self-indulgent, but nothing near as bad as Bono in the 2003-2009 era.

thumbsup.gif

A Year in Pop was mildly self-indulgent, but nothing near as bad as Bono in the 2003-2009 era.

One on the Vertigo Tour was nauseating. I don't wanna hear a 5 minute speech on the One campaign. I think 1985 Bono would wanna punch 2005 Bono in the face.

One on the Vertigo Tour was nauseating. I don't wanna hear a 5 minute speech on the One campaign. I think 1985 Bono would wanna punch 2005 Bono in the face.

I agree with this.

Vertigo was my first u2 tour so bono probaly didnt grate on me as much as he grated on some long term fans. My 3rd gig on the tour was the point were i was like WTF.

Glad he toned it down abit for 360.

Another WTF moment was the first time i saw the claw at croke park. But it was a good WTF moment. Amazing set up!

You clearly don't know much about 1985 Bono..his speeches in the 80s were far longer than the average minute-minute and a half (not 5) that he spoke to introduce One on the Vertigo tour.

Wasn't there a gig in DC on either the Elevation or Vertigo Tour where he really did blather on for about seven or eight minutes before One?

And I haven't listened to any bootlegs from any era in literally years, but I don't recall speeches at most eighties gigs that got even close to the verbosity of 2001-06 Bono. Plus his rants back then were a whole lot more entertaining, be they high quality (SBS on Rattle and Hum) or hilariously misguided (at that free gig in San Francisco a week later).

Back
Top Bottom