CONGRATULATIONS! You are smart!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

phommel

Refugee
At least smarter than Coldplay fans! :):lol::lol::lol::wave::wave::wave:

LONDON, March 13 (UPI) -- A study by a doctorate student who looked at the music U.S. students like and their Scholastic Aptitude Test scores suggests U2 fans are generally smart.

The Sun newspaper of England said Virgil Griffiths' comparison of students' SAT results and the artists they list on social networking Web sites showed fans of Beethoven were rated the most intelligent, while devotees of U2, Radiohead and Bob Dylan also scored highly.

People who love Queen, The Beatles, Jimi Hendrix, Frank Sinatra and Bob Marley scored around average and above in the study, The Sun noted, while followers of the singers Beyonce, Justin Timberlake and Jay-Z had lower than average SAT scores.

Lil Wayne's followers reportedly had the lowest test results.

music-sat.jpg

I like quite a few of the smart bands, which is pretty awesome. I wasn't that great at school, but handling University well, so maybe there's some truth to it... or not, I'm hardly doing medicine or anything. Maybe you have to be a Beethoven listener for that.

According to this you have to be smarter to like The Killers than you do to like Pink Floyd. What a load of shit :down:

Sufjan Stevens?
Nonsense.

You know how people will tell you about how "all U2 sounds the same to me"?
Well every song by this guy sounds the exact same...it's just banjo music with some idiot whispering nonsense over it.

Sufjan Stevens?
Nonsense.

You know how people will tell you about how "all U2 sounds the same to me"?
Well every song by this guy sounds the exact same...it's just banjo music with some idiot whispering nonsense over it.

:lol: you'll probably get a lot of shit for that here but I basically agree...Sufjan Stevens bores me to no end. His voice is the main reason, and the music itself is just uninteresting to me. But just about everyone i know likes him, and most of my friends are smart so :shrug:

I don't think this is super scientific buuut it's still pretty cool. Lil Wayne coming in last made me :lmao:

well, go U2 go

I posted somthing like this about U2 Fans SAT results:reject:

The day after I read the article I took my first SAT (*Dear God)

According to this you have to be smarter to like The Killers than you do to like Pink Floyd. What a load of shit :down:

This is probably because more Killers fans are younger than Pink Floyd fans, and the SAT has become increasingly easier for students (probably the College Board dumbing it down, but that's beside the point.) The bands' average scores are 6 points apart, which is borderline negligible, but the age disparity is probably the root of this.

Actually, that's a misinterpretation of the results. :sexywink:

What the results say is that students who listed The Killers as one of their main artists they follow scored better on the SAT test, than those who listed Pink Floyd.

It does NOT say that one has to be smarter to like The Killers more.

How to interpret that? Many guesses, but none may be accurate.

If a higher score on the SAT is equivalent to higher intelligence, then generally more intelligent students like The Killers. But I debate that hypothesis.

Bottom line, it's an interesting study and there may be some correlation with intelligence and certain genres of music, but it's not defined.

Keep in mind that U2 exists in part because Bono kept failing his Gaelic exam and couldn't get into college. His inability to get into college may label him as "less intelligent". Yet, not only is U2 one of the most influential bands in the world, they are one of the biggest. Furthermore, Bono has met with world leaders numerous times and has been nominated for several Nobel Peace Prizes. Ergo, doing well on a standardized test is hardly qualification for intelligence.

O.K., I'm done. :yes:

This is stuff people listed on a social networking site, maybe it's just that dumber people want to fit in more therefore list popular artists,while smart people would never list someone like Lil Wayne as their favourite. I mean the list goes from cool to uncool. I'm curious how much social stereotypes and conformity fit into it. I don't think it's as clear cut as the test suggests

Music that makes you dumb (or smart)

Comparing music preference to average SAT scores. Not very scientific, but pretty interesting and some surprising finds - Beethoven's at the top and rap is towards the bottom (no surprise there).

U2 ranks lucky #7.

I've never done an SAT but given the heavy weighting of my preferences within the first section of the list maybe this means I'm a smart cookie after all. :hyper:

Musicthatmakesyoudumb: Music

I listened mainly to top 40 crap back when I took the ACT (similar to the SAT, but taken instead in some states, including Michigan), and I got one of the highest scores in my class. I do think there could be something to that study, though.:hmm:

Musicthatmakesyoudumb: Music

Here is the full list U2 ranks 7th for best scores :)

The list of schools is what interests me most

Musicthatmakesyoudumb: Schools

3. Yale - #1 U2
4. Harvard - #2 U2
5. Princeton - #2 U2
6. MIT - #4 U2
7. Duke - #2 U2
11. Stanford - #2 U2
12. Brown - #4 U2
16. UPenn - #1 U2
17. Columbia - #1 U2

etc ...

a few things have been made clear to me

1. I now know my grad school options - Columbia or Yale here I come!
2. I'm at the wrong school.

266. Indiana University Bloomington

1. Jack Johnson 2. Coldplay 3. The Beatles 4. The Fray 5. Pink Floyd 6. John Mayer 7. Red Hot Chili Peppers 8. The Killers 9. Bob Marley 10. Radiohead

:doh: Jack Johnson, Coldplay, John Mayer, THE FRAY... could be worse but no wonder I know zero people who like U2

Back
Top Bottom