conflicting 1st gig stories

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marik

Refugee
Over my time I've come across conflicting 1st gig stories. Its common knowledge that it happened at a talent contest at Mount Temple school- but i've heard that it was in the gymnasium, in the cafeteria, and then in It Might Get Loud- Edge himself walking on mt Temple grounds points out that it was outdoors on that elevated slab of concrete (there a picture of this show, some audience members standing on the side of the platform beside the band, Bono with arm up in the air i believe)

Now i thought this outdoor show was a coule months into their performing life. Could Edge just be remebering it wrong?

that's a good question. i have no knowledge of this, but i would like to complain about the setlist.

You know what would be crazy if someone from the 2009 was at this gig (time traveler) and told the band after the gig:

Time Traveler: You will play this stage in the year 2009, also know as....The Claw.

Time Traveler hands them a picture of the Claw.

1st gig was at Mount Temple.

I think the gym thing might have been that contest they won.

How could a band not remember their first gig? That is the biggest event in a young bands life! I was in a band in high school, we were 15 just like U2, and our first gig was the biggest event in my life up to that point. We had been practicing for a year, all leading up to this big moment. It was our high school talent show, playing for probably 400+ people. It went over okay, considering only 2/5 of the band actually ended up onstage! (Drummer & Rhythm guitarist chickened out, singer wasn't allowed to participate since he went to a different school). Obviously, we never made it as far as U2 (we made a CD and sent it to 1 radio station that played a couple of the songs for about a week), but I'll never forget a single detail about my first gig ever.

They played several time at Mount temple.
The first time, was the contest.
It's well doncumented in Neil McCormick's book.

As the 1976 autumn term drew to a close it was announced that a talent contest would be staged in the school gumnasium.
p22. Here they were still called Feedback.

The Hype were becoming legends in their onw lunchtime. During noon break one day they played a gig in the sixth-year common room.
p42.

As the school year drew to a close, U2 were invited to perform an outdoor concert during a Mount Temple open day..
p62

so Marik, basically Edge is not wrong to say their first (U2) performance was outdoors on that slab of concrete, cus the other performances in MT were under their previous bandnames.
Hope that solves the problem :)

How could a band not remember their first gig? That is the biggest event in a young bands life! I was in a band in high school, we were 15 just like U2, and our first gig was the biggest event in my life up to that point. We had been practicing for a year, all leading up to this big moment. It was our high school talent show, playing for probably 400+ people. It went over okay, considering only 2/5 of the band actually ended up onstage! (Drummer & Rhythm guitarist chickened out, singer wasn't allowed to participate since he went to a different school). Obviously, we never made it as far as U2 (we made a CD and sent it to 1 radio station that played a couple of the songs for about a week), but I'll never forget a single detail about my first gig ever.

Massive quantities of alcohol over the years? :wink:

And I imagine playing over a 1000 other gigs over the past 30+ years has something to do with it too.

That said, there seems to be one other thing in error in It Might Get Loud. Edge mentioned that he was set up right here (left side of the stage to the crowd watching) and has been ever since. But in the picture of that gig that they show, he is pictured on the right side of the stage.

So maybe the memory is a bit fuzzy?

Back
Top Bottom