Comprehensive, fascinating look at U2's earliest recordings

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm not surprised they struggled in their first times at the studio. Performing live is relatively similar to playing in rehearsal. Set everybody up, synchronize volumes and play a live set. Working in a studio is a completely different beast. And probably even more back then as they still worked with analog tape back then. It's not for nothing that computer editing has revolutionized recording, allowing ordinary musicians to do what previously could only be done in studios.

u2songs | U2 Inside Out: Early Demo Recordings (Part I) |

U2Songs is killing it these days. There are some real gems here, and lots of info I've not come across before. Stories of an angry Larry Mullen Sr, one off recording sessions, failed songs, etc..

Well worth a read!

Amazing stuff ! U2 were so Punk and sound nothing like the U2 we've known since Boy !

Do you hear the Surf song "Wipeout" inspiration in the main riff from "Inside Out" ?

Last edited:
What I noticed in some of these really early demos that really surprised me is that The
Edge is actually doing "normal type" guitar solos! Bono's vocals are a bit scary. He was struggling to find his "voice" and it showed. Still, these early recordings are a treat! :applaud:

What I noticed in some of these really early demos that really surprised me is that The Edge is actually doing "normal type" guitar solos! Bono's vocals are a bit scary. He was struggling to find his "voice" and it showed. Still, these early recordings are a treat! :applaud:

I can't say I'm that surprised though. Every beginning guitarist basically starts with learning the basic chords and the pentatonic blues scale. And he has said that Rory Gallagher was a big influence on him back then.

i love pete the chop. you can hear so many of their future songs in tiny little snippets of this one. a seed that grew many different plants, so to speak.

Back
Top Bottom