Compared to Bono, do you think the others remember better?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mrs. Garrison said:
Though i doubt that. I suspect music was an escape from reality for him, and despite wanting to be cool or "thinking it'd be cool", he didn't fit in anywhere else. No school, no group of friends, whatever.

He had a hot girlfriend whom he deemed worth keeping forever.

Well don't you think it's easier to remember patterns than it is words?

3 chords for the verse, 2 chords for the chorus, same 3 chords for the verse, same 2 chords for the chorus, and maybe one extra chord thrown in to make a bridge.

Now compare that to remembering 14 different lines with only the chorus repeating...

Which do you think is easier?

:shrug:

:shrug: Dunno. Do you think he maybe cyclothymic like Stephen Fry? Memory can be a problem for those with bipolar. It would explain a few things if he was cyclothymic. I think Fry and Bono are quite similar in quite a few ways.

Bono has a perfect memory. In many articles it's shown that he's amazing at remembering tiny details on people and their names and meetings and what they told him 20 years ago. He remembers all that.

He just doesn't remember song lyrics. Some people have that. It doesn't make you bipolar or cyclothymic or whatever.

But let's be honest, Bono got into a band because he thought it'd be cool, not because he's a particularly passionate musician, so why are we surprised?

:laugh: Let's be honest, you're not making sense...

Well 500 songs is a lot but you'll be surprised at how many songs a musician can remember right off the top of their head. In fact our band brought back a song we hadn't played in a LOOONG time and we nailed it, with the exception of missing one chorus. It's almost like that once you learn something you can't really forget it.
Ah, youth. Try it 30+ years from now.

Well, I've been listening to U2 since 2001 and know pretty much every song by heart and Bono has been the writer and singer in U2 for 30 years and doesn't remember a lot of his songs...

I'd be willing to bet that if they actually played their back catalogue somewhat regularly they'd have no problem, but since they don't they'd be unable to play half their songs in concert on the fly... which kind of sucks, so I'd mainly chock it up to laziness. I remember going to a Fugazi concert a while back and they basically made the setlist up as they went and took requests from the crowd. Also the two guitarists switched guitar parts periodically. I honestly think U2 is less technically talented band than many others out there (although they write some of the best music) , so it's harder for them to play certain songs without rehearsing.

I just wish they'd play more of their back catalogue. I doubt most of the band would have much of a problem... except maybe Bono, who just can't seem to remember a good amount of his lyrics.

He may be shite at remembering the lyrics, but he wrote 'em in the first place, so he's probably not overly fussed to be honest!
I probably know hundreds of song lyrics off by heart, but I can't write songs or sing to the standard that Bono can, so it's irrelevant really!

Well, I've been listening to U2 since 2001 and know pretty much every song by heart and Bono has been the writer and singer in U2 for 30 years and doesn't remember a lot of his songs...

I'd be willing to bet that if they actually played their back catalogue somewhat regularly they'd have no problem, but since they don't they'd be unable to play half their songs in concert on the fly... which kind of sucks, so I'd mainly chock it up to laziness. I remember going to a Fugazi concert a while back and they basically made the setlist up as they went and took requests from the crowd. Also the two guitarists switched guitar parts periodically. I honestly think U2 is less technically talented band than many others out there (although they write some of the best music) , so it's harder for them to play certain songs without rehearsing.

I just wish they'd play more of their back catalogue. I doubt most of the band would have much of a problem... except maybe Bono, who just can't seem to remember a good amount of his lyrics.

I think you don't understand what jamming is, they play from a very different musical concept to what you're talking about, their approach to music is in that sense more similar to jazz musicians than to rockers.

You've probably listened to ________ (insert your favorite song) hundreds of times, so of course you have learned the lyrics.

I don't think Bono spends a lot of time listening to U2 songs once they have the album wrapped up.

It's a completely different perspective, also I'm sure a lot of his older songs he doesn't feel quite connected to in the way he did 20 or 30 years ago.

Fans have different relationships with the songs than artist do.

I honestly think U2 is less technically talented band than many others out there (although they write some of the best music) , so it's harder for them to play certain songs without rehearsing

... and they've pretty much admitted to this in the past. they're the ones who said they created their sound because of an inability to copy anyone else's.

u2's greatness is in their synergy. none of the 4 would be able to be great on their own, but together they produce something special and unique. they've all gotten better at their craft over the years, but they are not a single one of them can claim to be at or near the top of their field as individuals... only as a group.

I fucking hate Bono.

:lol:

Seriously, for all the u2 songs that we know and are aware of, think of how many more exist. Everytime they release an album of 11 songs, there's always a big deal made about how "we've got 50 or 60 songs"...etc. So if they had 500 songs released, how many more do they have as unreleased demo tracks?

Lots of Hits

maybe....we'll see

... and they've pretty much admitted to this in the past. they're the ones who said they created their sound because of an inability to copy anyone else's.

u2's greatness is in their synergy. none of the 4 would be able to be great on their own, but together they produce something special and unique. they've all gotten better at their craft over the years, but they are not a single one of them can claim to be at or near the top of their field as individuals... only as a group.

I agree, they're great, but not the same kind of great as a lot of other bands. If U2 tried to pull a King Crimson or Led Zeppelin and extend a song or play something unplanned like jamming together and adding snippets of other songs on the fly it would probably end up sounding like poo because they don't have the raw technical talent. They're more like The Beatles in that they know how to make good songs with simple instrumentation but they won't be able to pull the music off if they don't think up and practice what they're going to do repeatedly.

Totally agreed, I have seen Glen Phillips and Fran Healy over the last couple of years and people request some rare stuff and they can remember the songs.

I'm a big Glen Phillips fan and solo, he has a tendency to forget lyrics, chords, makes flubs, etc. on a fairly frequent basis. There are quite a few songs that people call out for him to play and he claims he doesn't remember them (or course it could also be because he doesn't want to play them too).

Anyway, I think as BVS pointed out, fans have a different connection to songs and I can't really fault a lyricist or song writer for forgetting songs they haven't played or though of for years.

In defense of Bono: I write songs, and I perform 3-4 nights a week, sometimes more. It's easy when you're sitting in your car singing along, or listening to your iPod. But when you're performing, your mind is on so much more. You're feeling out the crowd, you're emoting, you're trying to make sure you're in key, that the band's in time, that you know the next chord or the next section, and sometimes the next word gets lost. Sometimes you lose your place. And that's just me playing to a bar full of drunks. I can't imagine the pressure of playing to a stadium.

Also, you don't notice it as bad with Larry, Edge, and Adam because musicians have little tricks up our sleeve for when we lose place. If I was, say, The Edge and I forgot the next chord during a song, I could still miss the chord but play a little lick in the same key and things would turn out at least alright, if not perfect.

In defense of Bruce: in that clip of "Racing in the Street", Bruce was reading off of a teleprompter, but it's not noted that this was during the "Stump the Band" portion of his show where he takes requests. Racing in the Street wasn't a regular part of that set, at best it was a rotating song and only really got regular play during the few shows where he played the entire Darkness album. I think we can cut the Boss some slack, especially considering how wordy his songs are.

I honestly think U2 is less technically talented band than many others out there (although they write some of the best music) , so it's harder for them to play certain songs without rehearsing.

You said many bands out there. How many technically great rock bands do you think are they? Indeed some of the best and most successful rock bands such as The Rolling Stones, The Beatles, Oasis, Kings Of Leon, REM and Nirvana aren't technically trained. This isn't the 70's where prog rock rules. Rock music isn't about great technical efficiency and neither is pop. In fact technical efficiency can be a hindrance in rock and pop music. Besides practice and constant pushing musical boundaries over 30+ years can be just as good as classical training. Nowadays prog rock is sometimes regarded as being uncool and pretentious.

Anyway, I don't think technical ability has anything to do with remembering your songs. That's just a memory problem.

...If U2 tried to pull a King Crimson or Led Zeppelin and extend a song or play something unplanned like jamming together and adding snippets of other songs on the fly it would probably end up sounding like poo

I was going to say that Bono drops in snippets of their and other people's songs all the time, but never mind.

because they don't have the raw technical talent

The words raw and technique are on opposites side of the same coin. Technique has something to do with a piece of paper you gain from a stage school whilst raw talent is some natural musical ability that you're born with. U2 do have that.

Earlier someone mentioned that they are more like jazz than rock musicians. I like jazz

can you play 500 songs off the top of your head? And not just the riff, but the entire thing, from top to bottom?

Well, I don't see how remembering every element of a given song should be my responsibility. There are four members of the band.

I can probably play 30 or 40 U2 songs off the top of my head on an acoustic guitar, lyrics included, and I didn't even write them. I don't see why their entire catalogue has been condensed down to that over the past few tours. Laziness, I suppose, or lack of interest in the material, but saying that makes me come across as a dick.

Well, I don't see how remembering every element of a given song should be my responsibility. There are four members of the band.

I can probably play 30 or 40 U2 songs off the top of my head on an acoustic guitar, lyrics included, and I didn't even write them. I don't see why their entire catalogue has been condensed down to that over the past few tours. Laziness, I suppose, or lack of interest in the material, but saying that makes me come across as a dick.

Right and again I thought initially the comments made were implying extemporaneous playing, in which case I doubt anyone can play any given song extemporaneously without screwing up, live in front of a crowd (of 70,000+ people at that).

Back
Top Bottom