Collecting U2 on Vinyl

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Anu

Editor
Staff member
There ain't no place I'd rather be, baby won't you
I thought about putting this in the "All I Want" section but I am not really wanting to scout to buy, but rather just find out if anyone has decided to collect U2 on vinyl recently, and if so, what do you have?

I lost all my old albums, and I only had up to UF anyways, so I decided the renewed JT craze meant it was time to get some LP vinyl records.

Now that I am getting my 80s collection re-established and have noticed that some 90s and 00s releases are really really expensive on vinyl.

Do we think they will re-release some of their AB through ATYCLB stuff on vinyl?

I thought about putting this in the "All I Want" section but I am not really wanting to scout to buy, but rather just find out if anyone has decided to collect U2 on vinyl recently, and if so, what do you have?

I lost all my old albums, and I only had up to UF anyways, so I decided the renewed JT craze meant it was time to get some LP vinyl records.

Now that I am getting my 80s collection re-established and have noticed that some 90s and 00s releases are really really expensive on vinyl.

Do we think they will re-release some of their AB through ATYCLB stuff on vinyl?

Good thread Anu!

My wife gave me a copy of ATYCLB for Xmas, which completed my collection of all of the albums. Some of the 90s and 00s are/were crazy expensive, but I was lucky that I bought a copy of HTDAAB when it came out (for about $20AU). Pop, Zooropa, and NLOTH were between $50 and $120US for decent copies, and ATYCLB is often close to $200US.

When I started collecting them in the early 2000s, I had original releases of all the 80s albums
but I shared the collection with my brother, who took the turntable when he moved out of home, so he took the records too. I re-bought the remasters when they were released.

IMG_1797_1.jpg

1. Boy - 2008 Remaster
2. October - 2008 Remaster
3. War - 2008 Remaster
4. Under a Blood Red Sky - 2008 Remaster
5. The Unforgettable Fire - 2010 Remaster
6. The Joshua Tree - 2007 Remaster
7. Rattle and Hum - 2009 Re-release
8. Achtung Baby - UK 1st pressing (with naked Adam)
9. Zooropa - Spanish 1st pressing
10. Pop - UK 1st pressing
11. ATYCLB - UK 1st pressing
12. HTDAAB - UK 1st pressing
13. NLOTH - UK 1st pressing
14. Wide Awake in Europe - RSD exclusive
15. SOI - UK 1st pressing
16. U218 singles - UK 1st pressing.

I still don't have the best of 80-90 or 90-00 - both are crazy expensive.

Next I suppose is to collect the singles!

Re future re-releases - I really can't see them not doing it one day. I am surprised they haven't cashed in on the vinyl revival yet, but maybe they are waiting to remaster the 90s albums before they release?

yeah the Best Of's are so expensive, I remember looking for a copy of 80-90 twelve years ago and it was going for stupid money even then!

It was simply for completion and I'm not so fussed now but back then I was very surprised and regretted not having got the 90-00 set by that point either as that had gone from 20 pounds on release to one copy sitting in Fopp unsold for about 40-50.

I was born in '71. I was raised on vinyl, but when it came time to buying music for myself, I was mostly into cassettes (walkman and boom boxes). By 1990, I had switched to CDs full on. I still have my original JT vinyl and all my 45s (about 50, including 7 U2 singles). I don't know what happened to the rest of my vinyl collection. It wasn't very big to begin with. I know I had WAIA and Rattle and Hum at one point.

When WAIE was released for RDS 2010, I made my first vinyl purchase in forever. I didn't even have a record player, but I liked the idea of getting this because I'm a serious collector of obtaining official U2 live releases.
Fast forward to RSD 2015. SOI had a limited release that I felt was worth obtaining due to that simple all white look. Since the songs are mostly about the band's youth, it opened my eyes to my youth and how I loved listening to records with my dad. So, I purchased Boy remastered on vinyl shortly after (SOI has greatly improved my appreciation for Boy) and THEN I purchased a new record player. lol

Boy (rm)
UABRS (rm)
UF (rm)
JT (rm)
AB (rm)
NLOTH
WAIE (RSD)
SOI (RSD)

All I have for the albums at moment. War will be my next one in a couple of months. Would love to have ATYCLB & Zooropa, but I think I'll wait for a re-release.

A unique buying experience presented itself for a sealed copy of a AB 4LP box last year.
"Jane Geerts, who worked alongside Brian Eno, sadly lost her fight to cancer on the 5th of April. Jane’s final wish was to donate the proceeds from her belongings to Martlets Hospice. To honour this, 100% of the proceeds will be donated to the Hospice." She was Eno's assistant and received a copy of this box set as a gift. It was a $200CDN purchase that I glad to make.

I'd really love to grab a copy of Achtung Baby on vinyl without resorting to buying a used copy or the ridiculous reissue bundle.

While I own a few albums on vinyl, like War and JT, this is by far the rarest piece of vinyl I own, by U2 or anyone else. I found it at a record fair for $6. And it's still in great condition!

Attachments

• Captive.jpg
    Captive.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 13
Back
Top Bottom