"City of Blinding Lights" at O'Inauguration sealed "Streets" fate on next tour

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Personally I can't imagine a U2 concert without steets in it. I would personally feel ripped off.....Bullet the blue sky, on the other hand, deserves to seat this one (and the next one) out, the same goes for elevation and vertigo.

As much as I love pride, streets, one, sunday bloody sunday, etc, they have a really deep library of songs now and theres a ton of good songs which they haven't played that much/at all on the last tour which I'd like see:

Bad
One Tree Hill
In God's Country
Please
Sweetest Thing
Angel of Harlem
Even Better Than the Real Thing
Wild Horses
Love is Blindness
Stay
Daddy's gonna pay
Dirty Day
Discotheque
Mofo
Gone
Walk On
Kite
In a Little While
Hold me, thrill me
Ground Beneath Her Feet
Electrical Storm

I know those aren't all of the most well known songs but IMO theres more than enough material to fill out the set list for the tour without having to go back to the "greatest hits". I guess Streets/One would be okay, but I definitely don't want to see a block of Bullet-Sunday Bloody Sunday-Pride-Streets-One (or something to that effect) when I go to see them on the next tour.

I love COBL, but as an opener, it's amazing as an opener, but I don't want to see it take the place of Streets. Streets is an iconic U2 live song and I could not imagine seing it go. On the other hand, there are so many other great songs U2 could play live.

At the inauguration show, parts of COBL were certainly NOT live. I don't know how much was live except Bono's vocals. As for the green guitar: When I was at the P8 concert in June 2007, the green guitar was also leaning around on stage and everyone expected Bono to play One, but he didn't. So maybe he just likes to carry that guitar around. :wink:

i love both cobl and streets, i honestly don't think they'd ever fully retire streets from their setlists. they might give it a rest for a bit (not that i think they need to), but i doubt it'd be not played for an entire tour.

honestly, out of all the songs they play at pretty much every show (streets, pride, others i can't think of...) streets is my favourite.

they should open the show with streets - it may seem like peaking early but if they follow with boots and vertigo - a couple basic rockers - it would a pretty good momentum for the rest of the show

either that or city transitioning into streets as the first encore

They can drop Pride, Still haven't found, SBS, WOWY any time they want, but Streets is a live song and deserve to be in the setlist until U2 doesn't play live gigs anymore!

they should open the show with streets - it may seem like peaking early but if they follow with boots and vertigo - a couple basic rockers - it would a pretty good momentum for the rest of the show

either that or city transitioning into streets as the first encore

It has nothing to do with peaking too early, it's just that U2 likes to open with something off the new album.

Streets should remain in the middle as the "God walks through the room" moment. COBL....I dunno. It's so heavily associated with opening the Vertigo Tour, and I can't really see it sitting smack in the middle of a set. I could, however, see it opening an encore set. Honestly, I think that's just about the only place it can go without losing the nice intro.

As much as I think that they should rotate or temporarily retire several of their old standards, I don't think that Streets could or should be one of them.

wow I hope this doesn't happen....COBL is amazing, but you simply cannot replace Streets with it :shrug:

I agree, I think they should keep streets in the middle of the set and then have COBL open the encore. Actually that would be quite an epic encore intro...it would be like a whole new wall of energy to finish out the show...perfect :drool:

And I'd like them to bring back the RTSS ----> Streets transition from ZooTV, that was pretty much perfect...either that or Please -----> Streets which would also be incredible....but it has to be one of these, either RTSS or Please....unless there is something off the new record that transitions into Streets beautifully :shrug:

Id be shocked if Streets is ever dropped in a U2 show ever again. Too much of a crowd pleaser.

I have no desire whatsoever to hear COBL on the next tour,

V disappointed (tho not surprised) to hear it at the inauguration tbh

Actually, I thought the COBL renditon sounded different at the inauguration but I'll accept the collective wisdom of everyone on here. Anyhow, I would like to see COBL in the setlist because it did take-off on stage. Apart from Vertigo, it's the only HTDAAB song I'd be happy to hear.

I think Streets should definitely go- you can't keep songs in for sentimental reasons, you keep them in because they work and Streets hasn't worked in a long long time. I heard several renditions on the Vertigo tour and each one of them sounded flat and perfunctory. The only argument for keeping it is that Bono's "new" voice would do it justice. I am not too sure if that outweighs the drawbacks, however, not when you have plenty of songs from the JT era that dserve a rendition- Exit, especially.

wow I hope this doesn't happen....COBL is amazing, but you simply cannot replace Streets with it :shrug:

I agree, I think they should keep streets in the middle of the set and then have COBL open the encore. Actually that would be quite an epic encore intro...it would be like a whole new wall of energy to finish out the show...perfect :drool:

And I'd like them to bring back the RTSS ----> Streets transition from ZooTV, that was pretty much perfect...either that or Please -----> Streets which would also be incredible....but it has to be one of these, either RTSS or Please....unless there is something off the new record that transitions into Streets beautifully :shrug:

Zoo TV version of RTSS.

Personally I can't imagine a U2 concert without steets in it. I would personally feel ripped off.....Bullet the blue sky, on the other hand, deserves to seat this one (and the next one) out, the same goes for elevation and vertigo.

Agree with this post and alot of others here. Bullet would be the best song to drop as this has been, to my knowledge(Axver please correct if need be) has been the only song besides One and Beautiful Day to never miss a gig since it debuted(excluding Vertigo tour nightlies). I think they should rotate Pride, WOWY, One, SBS, NYD, Still havent found, etc as opposed to completely dropping any of these songs. All are still good(they are, we just are all hard core fans who pick apart particulars for fun, casuals/critics love them). Fact is, dropping any of the above group for an entire tour just will not happen.

Streets needs to be in the set every night, it is the high point of the show, has been since Zoo TV. The experience just would not be the same. I like RTSS-Streets-Pride to close a main set or open the encore with red screen and long intro for Streets. This song is too good to drop and is bound to fit in well with magnificent or moment of surrender or another song on NLOTH.

Elevation and Vertigo: Do 1 of the 2 per night. Both is overkill.

City, as others have pointed out, was played only because it was Obama's song. If it had not been his song, Pride and One would most likely have been played.

I truely hope they won't drop Streets. But I like COBL as well, why can't we have both?

If I'm not mistaken, Bono said one they he had a different set of lyrics for Streets and maybe we would here them some day. Anyone else remember this?

Agree with this post and alot of others here. Bullet would be the best song to drop as this has been, to my knowledge(Axver please correct if need be) has been the only song besides One and Beautiful Day to never miss a gig since it debuted(excluding Vertigo tour nightlies). I think they should rotate Pride, WOWY, One, SBS, NYD, Still havent found, etc as opposed to completely dropping any of these songs. All are still good(they are, we just are all hard core fans who pick apart particulars for fun, casuals/critics love them). Fact is, dropping any of the above group for an entire tour just will not happen.

Streets needs to be in the set every night, it is the high point of the show, has been since Zoo TV. The experience just would not be the same. I like RTSS-Streets-Pride to close a main set or open the encore with red screen and long intro for Streets. This song is too good to drop and is bound to fit in well with magnificent or moment of surrender or another song on NLOTH.

Elevation and Vertigo: Do 1 of the 2 per night. Both is overkill.

City, as others have pointed out, was played only because it was Obama's song. If it had not been his song, Pride and One would most likely have been played.

Bullet has not been played at every gig since its live debut; it missed five LT shows and an Elevation show. The songs that can claim that mantle are One, Beautiful Day, Elevation, Vertigo, SYCMIOYO, City, and, in theory, Window in the Skies.

But I agree with your post, for the most part.

Edit: I realize I'm not Axver. Just a devoted user of his website. :wink:

Bullet has not been played at every gig since its live debut; it missed five LT shows and an Elevation show. The songs that can claim that mantle are One, Beautiful Day, Elevation, Vertigo, SYCMIOYO, City, and, in theory, Window in the Skies.

Haha, thanks. :up:

Incidentally, I'm working on a bit of a FAQ about these sorts of things to go on U2gigs (in fact, by the phrasing of your post, I wonder if you're a devoted enough user of the site to have found it already!). It will go properly live ... soon. Whenever I decide it's satisfactory, really.

As for my own feelings on Bullet, if they play it like the ZooTV version (or even the Elevation version), I'd be fairly content if it stayed as a setlist regular. The more it resembles the Vertigo version, though, the more I want its live career to die a swift death.

i love both cobl and streets, i honestly don't think they'd ever fully retire streets from their setlists. they might give it a rest for a bit (not that i think they need to), but i doubt it'd be not played for an entire tour.

honestly, out of all the songs they play at pretty much every show (streets, pride, others i can't think of...) streets is my favourite.

ugh, i hate it when i agree with you because some people think it's sucking up.

streets is still so-ooo cracking live, i don't see a need to drop it.

No worries on not being Axver!! I am glad he has a following that includes both of us. Was not sure on Bullet, thanks for checking on that for me, I was lazy and could have checked myself. I knew it had been given a hell of alot of play in their live sets. 5 Lovetowns and an elevation probably means that it has been played at 99% of concerts since its debut. Great song, dont get me wrong, and as Axver says, Zoo and Elevation performances were top of the line, but it is a little bit out of proportion in terms of how often it shows up in setlists. This is clear when we consider: Please, EBTTRT, IGC, THBAO, Silver and Gold, Exit, RTST, Desire, Stay, the list goes on all missing all or significant parts of tours. Some even not being played since the late 1980s.

I just found said FAQ.

Ha, well done. Might just add a note about Bullet to it ...

If you have any suggestions of questions to add, I'd love to hear them.

Great song, dont get me wrong, and as Axver says, Zoo and Elevation performances were top of the line, but it is a little bit out of proportion in terms of how often it shows up in setlists. This is clear when we consider: Please, EBTTRT, IGC, THBAO, Silver and Gold, Exit, RTST, Desire, Stay, the list goes on all missing all or significant parts of tours. Some even not being played since the late 1980s.

I'm with this. Hard to believe the neglect of a song such as Exit, which has the same status to Bullet in terms of official releases and rocks so intensely live. In fact, I've always thought Bullet and Exit would make an incredible live pairing. Throw God Part II into the mix and make a trio, in fact. Who needs Streets when you've got Exit --> God Part II --> Bullet?

drop streets, bullet, WOwY, uteotw and pride. ain't gonna happen though, these walls need wallpaper.

I don't think they should drop these songs completely, but a. overwork them thoroughly and b. rotate them more, not play them EVERY single night. I think it would be very disappointing for the casual concert goer to go to a U2 concert and not find any of the classics. Most concert goers are not die hard fans who know every single snippet Bono is singing up on stage or how often U2 have played each of their songs throughout their carreer. They don't care for that, they want to see some classic U2 stuff.

But I agree that most of this songs need to be reworked live and not played so often.

I don't think they should drop these songs completely, but a. overwork them thoroughly and b. rotate them more, not play them EVERY single night. I think it would be very disappointing for the casual concert goer to go to a U2 concert and not find any of the classics. Most concert goers are not die hard fans who know every single snippet Bono is singing up on stage or how often U2 have played each of their songs throughout their carreer. They don't care for that, they want to see some classic U2 stuff.

But I agree that most of this songs need to be reworked live and not played so often.

your quite right of course. these songs sound wornout and most of the times if you look at the band they seem to just be going thru the motions. add SBS to the list.

Why is everyone so convinced that Elevation is a dead cert? Its been played every night on Elevation and Vertigo tours so I can imagine them now wanting to give it a rest. Particularly if the new album contains some heavier tracks, them plus the obvious inclusion of Vertigo might mean its a bit too one-sided unless they drop it.

As for the main topic, as someone who is avidly awaiting seeing the boys for the first time later this year, I would be mortified if they were to drop Streets. Its my favourite live track ever, probably the only song that gives me those 'chill's or goosebumps or whatever when watching/listening to a live version, its just that powerful.

I think the guys rely on Streets quite heavily. Bono's said it himself, you can be in the middle of the worst show of your life but the second you start playing Streets the entire place explodes and the whole concert is elevated to another level. It is something of a safety net for them, so I think although they may toy with the idea of dropping it, I don't ever see them actually putting the notion into practice, it seems a bit risky IMO.

I wouldn't mind them leaving it out for a few shows though, unlike most fans I haven't found most of the 00's renditions all that memorable, I tend to feel the song hit its pinnacle from 89-92, (particuarly the Lovetown tour :drool:) the sheer energy and power they managed to perform it with has gone pretty much unbeaten since then IMO.

It sounded a bit tired on Vertigo and as I've said before if a song is sounding lacklustre and uninspired, don't play it for a while, its only the tune that's suffering and some of the big eighties classic's deserve to be treated better than that.

Back
Top Bottom