Cities that U2 have NEVER stopped in while touring

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HBK-79

War Child
Hey everyone. As we all know, U2 have been all over the world throughout the years while on tour. They’ve been to everywhere from Japan and New Zealand to South Africa and Israel.

However, U2 has yet to stop in cities that other global artists (like the Rolling Stones and Madonna) have been to. As it stands right now, U2 has yet to hold concerts at these venues:

Latin America:
San Juan, Puerto Rico (Coliseo de Puerto Rico)
Guadalajara, Mexico (Estadio Jalisco)

Eastern Europe:
Budapest, Hungary (Sports Arena)
Moscow, Russia (Red Square)
Athens, Greece (Olympic Stadium)
Belgrade, Serbia (Belgrade Arena)
Riga, Latvia (Arena Riga)

Asia:
Hong Kong, China (World Asia Arena)
Seoul, South Korea (Olympic Park)
Sapporo, Japan (Sapporo Dome)
Singapore (Singapore Indoor Stadium)

Middle East:
Istanbul, Turkey (Sinan Erdem Dome)
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates (Emirates Palace)

Anyone else find that odd? I mean, Puerto Rico is such a beautiful island. Surely U2 should've stopped in there.

U2 HAVE to play Red Square

and they've played Tokio Dome?.. if not, that's another place to be

They've never played in India, although I believe an Indian leg was originally schedule for either the Boy or October tour.

They've never played in Axver's backyard...

Oh wait, yes they did. Nevermind, they've played everywhere.

Even stranger, IMO, is the fact that U2 have not played in Cincinnati since 1981 at Bogart's Club. I mean, every other band in existence has at least played in Cincinnati at least a few times, if not each tour.

Also, Oklahoma. I know they had a poorly attended show there on the War tour, and never returned. Oklahoma City and Tulsa both have modern sports arenas, I'm surprised that they haven't been there in the last 25 years.

what buggs me is their constant omitting of Eastern Europe, they've been in this area before but those concerts can be counted on fingers of one hand. exactly 5. Sometimes I have a feeling that they think there's still iron curtain or what...

Even stranger, IMO, is the fact that U2 have not played in Cincinnati since 1981 at Bogart's Club. I mean, every other band in existence has at least played in Cincinnati at least a few times, if not each tour.

Also, Oklahoma. I know they had a poorly attended show there on the War tour, and never returned. Oklahoma City and Tulsa both have modern sports arenas, I'm surprised that they haven't been there in the last 25 years.

Because it's Oklahoma.

They've never played in India, although I believe an Indian leg was originally schedule for either the Boy or October tour.

That was going to be at the end of the War Tour, apparently.

I think U2 could stand to play more shows in eastern europe and south america. Otherwise, I honestly don't think the demand is strong enough for them to visit strange new places (Asia, Africa, etc)

I think U2 could stand to play more shows in eastern europe and south america. Otherwise, I honestly don't think the demand is strong enough for them to visit strange new places (Asia, Africa, etc)

While there probably aren't many African cities they could play outside of South Africa, I see no reason to believe that they COULDN'T play gigs in South Korea, Singapore, the Philippines, Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand, and India. (And Hong Kong/China if their support for a free Tibet doesn't cause problems.)

Playing countries they never played before....indeed.

See, this is exactly the kind of thing U2 should be doing to revitalise themselves.

They have completely lost interest in their art and their music and are only interested in the almighty dollar.

It's so blatantly obvious that they don't give a fuck any more.

Even in their favourite country, the US, they only play the main cities.

Jeez, Macca is more adventurous in the places he tours and he is way older.

The rot started when they started to believe their own propaganda - fatal mistake for a rock band. It's doubly ironic that this is part of what they were satirising with Zooropa/Pop.

I predict they'll play in China for their next tour. China is where everyone is going, its the next superpower, they shouldn't pass it up.

They've never been to Wichita. The Rolling Stones were there a couple of years ago, so U2 can go, too. Especially since there's going to be a brand new arena opening in the Fall of 2009.

DO YOU HEAR THAT, U2? *COUGH COUGH!*

Not that I have any vested interest, of course...

I thought they had played in Seoul, Korea before? I say this because my friend lived there and went to the concert (well, I'm sure it was in Korea, and if in Korea it must have been in Seoul, surely?)

I am surprised they've never been to Belgrade or Hong Kong (or Taipei), but actually having lived in Taiwan myself for 4.5 years I get the impression that U2 are not that big with Sino-people.

Also surprised if they haven't been to Sapporo, but it is kind of out-of-the-way if you're just passing through Japan.

Even stranger, IMO, is the fact that U2 have not played in Cincinnati since 1981 at Bogart's Club.

My sister saw that show. She wasn't even a fan -- she was in college near there and it was just something to do that night. She did remember, even years later, that they gave a really intense live show.

I thought they had played in Seoul, Korea before? I say this because my friend lived there and went to the concert (well, I'm sure it was in Korea, and if in Korea it must have been in Seoul, surely?)

Your friend must have gone to Japan to see them. U2 have never performed in Korea, or anywhere in Asia other than Japan (and Israel, if you count it).

Your friend must have gone to Japan to see them. U2 have never performed in Korea, or anywhere in Asia other than Japan (and Israel, if you count it).

Hey Ax, how are you?
I think Israel has to count as Asia, excuse my ignorance but when did they play Israel?

Hey Ax, how are you?
I think Israel has to count as Asia, excuse my ignorance but when did they play Israel?

Not bad, yourself?

Yeah, I count it too, but it seems a lot of people don't think of Israel - or even the general Middle East - as being "Asian". U2 played in Tel Aviv on Popmart, last gig of the European leg on 30 September 1997.

Not bad, yourself?

Yeah, I count it too, but it seems a lot of people don't think of Israel - or even the general Middle East - as being "Asian".

A lot of people should buy a map.

Not bad, yourself?

Yeah, I count it too, but it seems a lot of people don't think of Israel - or even the general Middle East - as being "Asian". U2 played in Tel Aviv on Popmart, last gig of the European leg on 30 September 1997.

Speaking of Popmart, didn't they plan playing in Hong Kong (and some other Asian cities) on that tour ?

Because it's Oklahoma.

Actually Oklahoma has come a long ways since the 80's and 90's. U2 hasn't played here since the 80's according to Paul McGuinness, i asked him this and why in Atlanta back in 2001. He didn't really give me a "why" as im sure he was being polite about it, but as a city we are growing by leaps and bounds and i think u2 coming to town next tour would be a good thing. Even Tulsa would be a great stop. Both cities have modern sports arenas and would surely sell-out a show. U2 generally skps the Sooner state and plays Dallas which isnt that bad of a drive for us here, but i think if we could support the Rolling Stones in Norman 10 years ago then we could easily pack a smaller arena for U2 without drawing too much from the Dallas market.

Speaking of Popmart, didn't they plan playing in Hong Kong (and some other Asian cities) on that tour ?

If I remember correctly, early copies of the Popmart programme included concerts in Singapore and New Zealand for the fourth leg, neither of which eventuated.

Back
Top Bottom