Christopher Nolan dies at 43

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Super Yo

New Yorker
Novelist and U2's 'inspiration' dies at 43

Christopher Nolan, an Irish poet and novelist who helped inspire super-group U2, has died at 43.

Nolan choked on a piece of food on Friday at Beaumont Hospital in Dublin, according to a statement from his family carried in the Irish media. The hospital confirmed his death on Saturday.

"Christopher Nolan was a gifted writer who attained deserved success and acclaim throughout the world for his work," Irish President Mary McAleese said in a statement, adding that his achievements were "all the more remarkable given his daily battle with cerebral palsy".

Nolan attended high school with members of U2 and the band paid tribute to his achievements in Miracle Drug which appeared on their album, How to Dismantle An Atomic Bomb.

Nolan's brain was starved of oxygen during birth, leaving him unable to speak or control his arms or legs. He might have remained isolated from the outside world were it not for a drug, Lioresal, which restored some of his muscle function. His parents nurtured their partially paralysed son's literary talent.

Using a "unicorn stick" strapped to his forehead to tap the keys of a typewriter, Nolan laboriously wrote out messages and, eventually, poems and books as well.

Bernadette Nolan, Christopher's mother, said her son was 11 when his writing first turned lyrical.

"He wrote of a family visit to a cave that was illuminated by electric lights: He said it was 'a lovely, fairy-like effect to the work of nature,'" she told The Associated Press in a 1987 interview. "It was just that turn of phrase," she said. "I thought, that's unusual for a kid of 11."

The next day Nolan wrote a poem packed with metaphors and peppered with alliteration, which his mother said showed a mind "just like a spin dryer at full speed".

His father Joe read his son poetry and passages from James Joyce's Ulysses. Christopher took to writing early: He published Dam-Burst of Dreams, a collection of poetry, at the age of 15. Even then critics compared it to Joyce.

His autobiography, Under the Eye of the Clock: The Life Story of Christopher Nolan won the prestigious Whitbread Award in 1988. The third-person account describes Nolan's longing for an education and the liberation of finally being able to type out his feelings.

The book was a frank but sometimes hilarious account of his disability: he described his arm flying out to grab a woman's skirt and how his mouth sometimes remained stubbornly shut when he wanted to take communion.

As novelist Margaret Drabble noted, the book was "not merely another tale of brave strife against odds", adding that Nolan was "a writer, a real writer who uses words with an idiosyncratic new-minded freshness".

Nolan disliked sentimental stories about his disability. Although the Under the Eye of the Clock drew offers to have his book made into a movie, Nolan refused on the grounds that the production would be a sympathy piece, according to the Irish Independent.

"I want to highlight the creativity within the brain of a cripple and, while not attempting to hide his crippledom, I want instead to filter all sob-storied sentiment from his portrait and dwell upon his life, his laughter, his vision, and his nervous normality," the newspaper quoted him as saying.

YouTube - U2 Miracle Drug Live From Chicago

I would be the happiest person in the world if, with my healthy body, could do something half as inspiring as this guy did. R.I.P.
Man, this just sucks.

Yes very sad news.

Miracle Drug is a great song as well very under appriciated.

That's really horrible to hear. I'm also listening to Miracle Drug in his honor. Great little tune.

One of the best songs on Bomb and will be a great reminder of how special Mr Nolan was to the world.

Back
Top Bottom