Chris Thomas Version How To Dismantle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

soctheo

The Fly
Sorry if I have missed this discussion in the past but have U2 or Chris Thomas ever discussed the exact track listing and songs they were initially being considered for How To Dismantle in 2003 before Steve Lillywhite became involved.

I have been enjoying Native Son, Xanax and Wine etc. and always wondered what the proposed album that was vetoed consisted of.... The material released definitely had a raw hard rocking vibe....

Thanks Everyone

I have never seen what would be the Chris Thomas version of HTDAAB. And given how similar those songs are to the actual songs on the album, I don't think the change is that dramatic (more lyrical than musical).

However, if someone has that information, I'd be happy to see it.

OK - thanks guys for your help.

Its too bad a tracklisting was not discussed by the band publicly as it would be interesting to see what they ended up rejecting in favor of going back into the studio and re-working the album.

The one track I think shouldn't have been touched was Xanax and Wine. Fast cars doesn't have the energy or feel that Xanax has. I guess maybe they were concerned about the title/subject matter.

we also know that Yahweh, All Because of You and Sometimes, Crumbs and One Step Closer all carry/carried the Chris Thomas stamp.. Mercy may have been him as well, for a we know.. and Smile?

I'm sure someone can piece together a Chris Thomas version of the album

I'm sure someone can piece together a Chris Thomas version of the album

Already done. Nine tracks.

Native Son
Sometimes You Can't Make It
Love and Peace
City of Blinding Lights
All Because of You
Xanax and Wine
Smile
One Step Closer
Yahweh

IMHO, not as strong.

In the book that came with How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb (in some editions) there was some sort of timeline where song titles were written down. To go with it, there seems to be a rough tracklist included in red:

htdaab19.jpg

Source: http://www.u2interference.com/forum...-edition-u2-art-mercy-207617.html#post6933137

It seems to say something like:

Vertigo
Crumbs
Sometimes
Firefly
(presumably an early incarnation of City Of Blinding Lights) / Love and Peace
Miracle drug
Mercy
Man + Woman
One Step
All Because of You
Original
Yahweh
Xanax

For some titles there are numbers which lead me into thinking that was a possible tracklist order but I'm not as sure as there are a couple of 3's in there and some don't even have numbers associated with them.
With special thanks to bonocomet for the original scan! ;)

The original 'Original of the Species' was described as 'a slinky pop song built around a primitive riff, with shades of Bowie's "Aladdin Sane.' I know from speaking with an engineer who worked on the album that this song in particular went through many changes until it arrived at the 'Beatles-lite' version we have today. It was actually full on glam rock at one point.

In the book that came with How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb (in some editions) there was some sort of timeline where song titles were written down. To go with it, there seems to be a rough tracklist included in red:

It seems to say something like:

Vertigo
Crumbs
Sometimes
Firefly
(presumably an early incarnation of City Of Blinding Lights) / Love and Peace
Miracle drug
Mercy
Man + Woman
One Step
All Because of You
Original
Yahweh
Xanax

For some titles there are numbers which lead me into thinking that was a possible tracklist order but I'm not as sure as there are a couple of 3's in there and some don't even have numbers associated with them.
With special thanks to bonocomet for the original scan! ;)

so i tried the above tracklisting excluding LAPOE and it actually flowed really well.

Back
Top Bottom