Cedars of Lebanon - Hidden Message?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mono

The Fly
So I was at the gym listening to the new album and I usually skip Cedars at the gym, since it's a slow song...Today I listened to it in full and I tried to figure out what the voice was saying in the background...Sounded to me like "onob ... " , Bono backwards...

I reverse-played the song and it sounds like it says "Bono wishes." Anyone else hear that?

Here's an mp3 of that clip played backwards:

http://www.send space.com/file/qtm60o

:hmm:

So I was at the gym listening to the new album and I usually skip Cedars at the gym, since it's a slow song...Today I listened to it in full and I tried to figure out what the voice was saying in the background...Sounded to me like "onob ... " , Bono backwards...

I reverse-played the song and it sounds like it says "Bono wishes." Anyone else hear that?

Here's an mp3 of that clip played backwards:

http://www.send space.com/file/qtm60o

:hmm:

I'm always skeptical about these supposed "hidden" messages in songs. If you hadn't told us what you thought you heard, maybe I wouldn't have been able to hear what you said you heard :hmm:

I hear it (...Bono wishes.../...no wishes...), but it could be nothing... just something weird you get from playing it backwards, and then you only hear what you want to hear :huh:

It's probably not English.

But after making various combinations of it in stereo (left channel to both), reversing it, amping it up, changing the pitch, slowing it down, slowing it down even more, then reversing it again, etc.....the only thing it sounds like to me is a cut "I..forgive her" or it's not in English at all.

What I mean is that could have been a line like "I decided to forgive her" and they cut it to "I...forgive her" because there is a hard/audible vocal sound between those supposed words 'I' and 'forgive', which would be a pretty shoddy and unnecessary edit.

So again, the most simple explanation is it's probably just not English.

I didn't hear anything in the reversals that jumped out. You can allow yourself to hear all kinds of shit when you slow it down and alter it a lot. Best to do all this shit^ and then listen to it about ten times after you've done that. All I got after that was "I..forgive her".

I did hear about 10 other things in the process though, all tricks of the ear. "I'd recruit you but..." was one

I've never heard that... what goes on in StH?

It's an urban legend coming from the 70's, it says that if you play Stairway to Heaven backwards you can hear a spell invoking the Devil, there were many similar legends at the time, from Black Sabbath to Led Zeppelin including the famous one about Paul MaCartney being dead, Stairway to Heaven sound played backwards is indeed frightening, but there isn't a word in English, of course, it's a question of suggestion. In my country there a tv programme where the presenter tells you that some singer is singing in Spanish some weird words, for example "I want my sandwich" (in Spanish) he plays the song and you hear the exact words he has told you, the funny thing is that you even do when he's palying a song you're familiar with, I've experienced it twice with U2 songs that I'm not only familiar with, songs I know the lyrics better than Bono, as I've said it's a question of suggestion.

It's an urban legend coming from the 70's, it says that if you play Stairway to Heaven backwards you can hear a spell invoking the Devil, there were many similar legends at the time, from Black Sabbath to Led Zeppelin including the famous one about Paul MaCartney being dead, Stairway to Heaven sound played backwards is indeed frightening, but there isn't a word in English, of course, it's a question of suggestion. In my country there a tv programme where the presenter tells you that some singer is singing in Spanish some weird words, for example "I want my sandwich" (in Spanish) he plays the song and you hear the exact words he has told you, the funny thing is that you even do when he's palying a song you're familiar with, I've experienced it twice with U2 songs that I'm not only familiar with, songs I know the lyrics better than Bono, as I've said it's a question of suggestion.

:wave:
:lol:
It is indeed... you hear what you wanna hear.
And thanks for the explanation... I love Led Zep but almost never listen to StH. And I always LOL when people remember me that Paul is dead. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom