Catalog Sales Bump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PennyLanePHINS

Refugee
Part of this album deal was the back catalog going on sale at itunes for 5.99 (deluxe for 11.99) which in addition to the new album buzz has sent a large number of their albums onto the iTunes charts. Amazon has followed suit and also put them on sale. Which means some will re-chart on the Billboard 200 even though SOI won't be on it until October 14.

Currently:
10, The Joshua Tree
25, U218
27, Achtung Baby
31, U218 [Deluxe]
36, Rattle & Hum
37, War
38, The Unforgettable Fire
41, All That You Can't Leave Behind
45, Best of 1980-1990
51, Under A Blood Red Sky
57, Boy
62, How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb
65, No Line On The Horizon
67, Zooropa
68, Live From Paris
72, October
79, Achtung Baby [Deluxe]
83, Joshua Tree [Deluxe]
106, Best of 1990-2000
107, Pop
146, The Unforgettable Fire [Deluxe]

Now the question is, is u2 relevant now?:hmm:

That's a really good question. I think after SOE that will have to be brought up because I don't know if an album about the band growing up can be considered relevant, and it remains to be seen if the next one is really good.

That's a really good question. I think after SOE that will have to be brought up because I don't know if an album about the band growing up can be considered relevant, and it remains to be seen if the next one is really good.

I disagree with that view. I do not think the topics of songs should dictate relevancy. If one is too current, i.e., talking about a certain fad or fashion, it may be relevant for the next 6 months, but later, the song is forever dated. And that is true for any song or album about some present event or situation.

Exploring one's youth is a common topic that all song-writers tap into. And that commonality may help. For example, one reviewer of SoI stated how he lost his own mother at 14 and her name was also Iris! "Boy" was the album that helped him get through that difficult time. So for him, "Iris" was automatically a 5-star song (he ultimately gave the album 4 stars). But I feel that anyone who has "lost" their parent in some fashion may be able to identify with the pain of that song. And that is definitely relevant.

I disagree with that view. I do not think the topics of songs should dictate relevancy. If one is too current, i.e., talking about a certain fad or fashion, it may be relevant for the next 6 months, but later, the song is forever dated. And that is true for any song or album about some present event or situation.

Exploring one's youth is a common topic that all song-writers tap into. And that commonality may help. For example, one reviewer of SoI stated how he lost his own mother at 14 and her name was also Iris! "Boy" was the album that helped him get through that difficult time. So for him, "Iris" was automatically a 5-star song (he ultimately gave the album 4 stars). But I feel that anyone who has "lost" their parent in some fashion may be able to identify with the pain of that song. And that is definitely relevant.

I'm thinking more of what U2 thinks is relevant, or if they feel confident it is relevant. No relevance doesn't have to be something time stamped but something that resonates with people.

Was just a bit surprised at the love October has gotten. Pop did crack the top 100 today, which means all their studio albums (minus free SOI) made it into the top 100 at the same time, at least for a little while.

Does anyone have Live From Paris? Since its iTunes only I never got it, but now that its 7.99 (the hits ones and Paris are 2 dollars more), might get it.

iTunes Top 200 CHILE: 17 records

07 - The Best Of 90-00
08 - U218 Singles (Deluxe)
15 - The Best Of 80-90
20 - U218 Singles
21 - Achtung, Baby (Deluxe)
25 - The Joshua Tree
32 - All That You Can't Leave Behind
34 - Pop
39 - The Best Of 80-90 (?)
40 - Zooropa
41 - Achtung, Baby (remastered)
42 - Rattle & Hum
43 - The Joshua Tree (Deluxe)
61 - How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb
90 - Live From Paris (maybe a bootleg? or the JT DVD audio?)
98 - No Line On The Horizon
112 - The Unforgettable Fire (remastered)

:love:

Yes, it was included in the JT reissue box set.

Oh yeah I have that with the DVD version, they have an album version though on iTunes. I guess its pretty much the same with remastered audio. It apparently came out a year later in 2008 as an itunes only album.

Does anyone have Live From Paris? Since its iTunes only I never got it, but now that its 7.99 (the hits ones and Paris are 2 dollars more), might get it.

I bought it last night. Wish streets was on there, so thats disappointing. But Bullet, Bad, I Still Haven't Found.., Electric Co., SBS are all solid as usual. Not the best version of Bad out there, but it's still Bad, and I don't think a bad version of bad exists. ?

New Years Day, Running To Stand Still, WOWY, Party Girl are all some of the best I've heard them. But the top highlights for me are Exit, Trip Through Your Wires, In God's Country(not many versions of them and these are all really good) and The Unforgettable Fire (best performance on the album imo).
I'd give it 8.8/10. Would be a 10 if Streets was on there. It's a great buy for 7.99 if you're into that era.
Hopefully that will help you out.

Wish streets was on there, so thats disappointing.

It wasn't played that night - in fact, it was omitted at 12 out of the 30 European shows of the JT Tour.

In God's Country(not many versions of them and these are all really good)

I'm not sure if you mean not many officially released live versions, but it was done at almost every JT Tour show so there are heaps of bootleg versions. I recommend 21 July 1987, Munich, one of the longer performances of a typically short song.

It wasn't played that night - in fact, it was omitted at 12 out of the 30 European shows of the JT Tour.

I'm not sure if you mean not many officially released live versions, but it was done at almost every JT Tour show so there are heaps of bootleg versions. I recommend 21 July 1987, Munich, one of the longer performances of a typically short song.

Yeah. Streets I know it was because it wasn't dark enough. They have the whole light show, doesnt work in day light.
And with IGC, I was indeed referring to not many recorded performances, considering it was only played that tour. Which is a shame, hope it comes back this tour.

Yeah. Streets I know it was because it wasn't dark enough. They have the whole light show, doesnt work in day light.

Well that's the excuse that's been given, but I don't buy it. At some indoor shows they still did the no-Streets thing, and at some outdoor shows they did Streets in the encore when it was dark enough (or opened with it in the light anyway).

And with IGC, I was indeed referring to not many recorded performances, considering it was only played that tour. Which is a shame, hope it comes back this tour.

They did it acoustically at the end of the Elevation Tour - I'm surprised that wasn't done more often, though I'd take electric IGC over a watered-down acoustic version any day of the week.

They did it acoustically at the end of the Elevation Tour - I'm surprised that wasn't done more often, though I'd take electric IGC over a watered-down acoustic version any day of the week.

Well, I had no idea they played that on Elevation Tour. But that song would be a total waste on acoustic. It's all built around The Edge's fast paced guitar riff. Sounds like they decided to be lazy. Tired of the boring acoustic sets. How about bring back Edge songs? Like Van Diemens Land, Numb, or October. That'd be a lot better. Maybe 1-2 acoustics, but only if they're really good. No more Stay acoustics please. Or Stuck In A Moment.

This early AM in Canada...
...... JT is #17 ...#21 U218.....#29 Achtung Baby.....#35 U218Deluxe.....#37 R&H......#40 Best of 80's.....#56 UF.....#62 War....#69 ATYCLB...#77 Best of 90's.....#79 Zooropa....#87 Boy #92..Bomb #96 Under a Blood Red Sky... #107 NLOTH #128 October...#152 U2 Live from Paris (what is that one?)....#181 Pop....cray cray.....safe to say some people just might have liked what they heard from Songs of Innocence and wanted to buy something else?

At one point last night the Canadian itunes chart had 20 U2 albums in the top 100. 10 of those were in the top 50 and 7 of those were in the Top 30. I haven't looked this morning though.

I wonder which will make the Billboard 200.

These are probably guaranteed to make it back: U218, The Joshua Tree, Achtung Baby, ATYCLB, Rattle & Hum, TUF, War.

Maybe we'll see HTDAAB, NLOTH, Best of 80/90, Boy. Maybe even Zooropa and UABRS, and the Live from Paris.

They seem to be slipping down the uk itunes chart now. Get the advert on tv asap!

Official chart placings( not itunes)in the uk

U2-18 65
Joshua tree 70

Be intresting to see were the album may chart after the 13th as im sure i read that all the back catalogue is going to be reduced in the stores.

So the cd's will be on sale at a reduced price

Down to 5 albums in the top itunes 150 in the uk.

Weres that bloody advert?

Back
Top Bottom