Canadians, U2 discussing their songs on Much More Music right now

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Muldfeld

Refugee
I don't know what the show is, but they're answering fan requests to discuss how certain songs came about.

It's fascinating. I wish I knew the show's name, but it's not listed, as the schedule on the MuchMore.ca | Visit MuchMore.ca for music videos and full show episodes website has been advanced to 1 am and afterward.

Apparently, it's an HBO special. It's disgusting the way Bono's so apologetic about his desire to criticize American foreign policy in "Bullet the Blue Sky"

A+++. Great thread. Would read again.

:lol:
I was trying to let folks know so they might click on the TV in time.

Anyway, I figured since it was on TV, I should post it in Zoo Station, but it was also because it's so damn confusing figuring where this would belong in the regular U2 subsections.

The show was from 2006 and produced by HBO. The end was lame with Bono going on and on about being punk and gutsy when he's been anything but nowadays. I'll take '80s Bono over present-day Bono.

Are you unable to just give out some information without having to insert your personal political views (that we all know already, btw)?

Are you unable to just give out some information without having to insert your personal political views (that we all know already, btw)?

I had actually never heard Bono say he was wrong or simplistic in his criticism of America. That really shocked me.

What was going on in Latin America was often indigenous movements being crushed by American power mobilized to protect American corporate interests. It's really sick that Bono would say that America was somewhat right to do what it did. Communism is terrible, but it was far more terrible in the USSR and China than in Castro's Cuba; it's wrong for Bono to whitewash that stuff. And he never alluded to the ills of unfettered capitalism.

Very cool to hear that the man in "this guy comes up to me, see, his face red like a rose on a thornbush, like all the colors of a royal flush, and he's peeling off those dollar bills, slapping them down..." is Ronald Reagan.

Apparently, he also was trying to write in the language of the evangelical preachers he disdained. Very interesting stuff.

:yawn: that same old b.s. tired speech about being punk.

he's punk in attitude, and in spirit.
punk in the 70s was criticize/antagonize the establishment.

anti-establishment is now the norm, the cool thing to do. it's cool to pose as punk. it's not cool to be in your face with your heart on your sleeve, to try and appeal to everyone.. that's what he's going on about. I would say that Bono is terribly uncool, and is happy with it. he likes how his approach pisses so many people off, which to me is very punk

that said, it's a tired line, yes

On Off The Record with Dave Stewart, filmed in '06, I believe. They were discussing Bullet, and he said that now he realizes that things aren't as black and white as he thought they were in the '80s.

So he's a racist now too? WTF is wrong with Bono?

africa_bono_nene.jpg

He lost touch with the white man long ago. I mean, for God's sake, he thought Sexy Boots would be a smash.

On Off The Record with Dave Stewart, filmed in '06, I believe. They were discussing Bullet, and he said that now he realizes that things aren't as black and white as he thought they were in the '80s.

That doesn't exactly sound like he was saying "America was somewhat right to do what it did", but I haven't heard the whole interview...:shrug:

That doesn't exactly sound like he was saying "America was somewhat right to do what it did", but I haven't heard the whole interview...:shrug:

He said more. If you're interested, you can see it here. That portion is probably in part 4 or 5. He did sort of soften his stance, but not to a hypocritical degree. IMO, that's understandable. Decades later, things rarely ever are as black and white as we initially thought. Age and wisdom, and all that.

YouTube - bono edge off the record

Back
Top Bottom