Burning a U2 CD for my friend

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheEdge25

Refugee
He does not like U2 one bit. He doesn't *hate* them, but he does not listen to them. today I convinced him to listen to a CD I'd burn for him consisting of 18 songs and he agreed to listen to each one.

He's into lots of Indie stuff and also stuff like Bright Eyes, Explosions In The Sky, Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeroes, The Decemberists, Modest Mouse, Arcade Fire, etc.

Any suggestions on what I should put on the burned CD? He knows almost all the popular U2 songs and will refuse to listen to stuff like Pride, Streets, With or Without You, etc....

Thinking of putting more stuff from the '90's and then mixing in some Boy/War and then sneaking in some late '80's and '00's. But if you guys could help me out, I'd appreciate it. :wave:

just give him achtung baby and zooropa, and he will walk around with an erection for about a year.

Your friend has probably heard the recent hits and is basing his opinion of U2 from that. So I'd ignore the "Beautiful Day", "Stuck...", "Sometimes...", "Vertigo" type of songs. Your friend may have also heard some of their classic hits. Therefore, I'd try to go with different songs that he doesn't really know.

Given what your friend likes, I'd consider (this is not the CD setlist - more of a chonological list of possible songs):
  1. Out of Control
  2. The Electric Co.
  3. Two Hearts Beat As One
  4. A Sort of a Homecoming
  5. Wire
  6. Bullet the Blue Sky
  7. Exit
  8. In God's Country
  9. God Part II
  10. Hawkmoon 269
  11. Until the End of the Worlde
  12. The Fly
  13. Acrobat
  14. Love Is Blindness
  15. Zooropa
  16. Dirty Day
  17. Mofo
  18. Gone
  19. Fast Cars
  20. Love and Peace or Else
  21. No Line on the Horizon
  22. Breathe
  23. Moment of Surrender

If your friend doesn't know the classic U2, also consider
  1. I Will Follow
  2. Sunday Bloody Sunday
  3. New Year's Day
  4. Pride
  5. Bad
  6. The Unforgettable Fire
  7. Where the Streets Have No Name
  8. One Tree Hill
  9. Desire
  10. Angel of Harlem
  11. Love Rescue Me
  12. All I Want Is You
  13. Mysterious Ways
  14. Zoo Station
  15. Even Better Than the Real Thing
  16. Numb
  17. Stay
  18. Daddy's Gonna Pay for Your Crashed Car
  19. Discotheque
  20. Do You Feel Loved
  21. Staring at the Sun
  22. In a Little While
  23. Elevation
  24. All Because of You
  25. Get on Your Boots
  26. Magnificent

I kept harder, faster songs on the first disc, that may also be a bit more "alternative" in sound. The second disc has more of the hits, but not the super huge ones (like WOWY, I Still Haven't Found, One, etc.). It all depends on what your friend does and doesn't know about U2 and his preference in music. It sounds like he's alternative, so you may want to make the most alternative U2 disc you can. Both discs have over 18 suggestions, so you can edit as you like.

I've ignored b-sides and side projects for now. The goal is to get your friend interested in U2's music. Then you can expand (that is, have the second disc ready to go). Good luck!

One last thing - to those who don't know U2 that well, I've always been surprised by what they like. For example, people here may not be fans of GOYB or are tired of One and Pride - but to your friend, these may be great tracks. So don't dismiss something based on Interference.

I would sit with him and show some you tube clips from red rocks, rattle and hum, and zoo tv before u go crazy making him a cd - if he can't get into that I think he's a lost cause

1. Zoo Station
2. Even Better Than The Real Thing
3. One
4. Until The End Of The World
5. Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses
6. So Cruel
7. The Fly
8. Mysterious Ways
9. Tryin' To Throw Your Arms Around The World
10. Ultraviolet (Light My Way)
11. Acrobat
12. Love Is Blindness

That should do the trick.

Serious answer: Lots of Zooropa, lots of AB, Miss Sarajevo and Your Blue Room from Passengers, some TUF, some Rattle and Hum, and maybe a few NLOTH tracks.

Can't think of a definitive track list at the moment, but here's what I'd put down so far...

Soon
Zooropa
Please (SINGLE version)
Your Blue Room
Acrobat
Walk to the Water
Running to Stand Still
Fez - Being Born
A Sort of Homecoming (WAIA)
Kite
One Step Closer

The songs below should (in my opinion) show your friend a different image of U2 than might have been perpetuated in his consciousness:

1. Stories For Boys
2. Tomorrow
3. Like A Song
4. Drowning Man
5. Love Comes Tumbling
6. Indian Summer Sky
7. One Tree Hill
8. Hawkmoon 269
9. Heartland
10. Even Better Than The Real Thing
11. Acrobat
12. Love Is Blindness
13. Zooropa
14. Gone
15. The Playboy Mansion
16. Kite
17. Original Of The Species
18. Breathe

Here are 17 songs, in no particular order:

Zooropa
Holy Joe
Mofo
Another Time, Another Place
Gloria
A Sort of Homecoming
Gone
The Ground Beneath Her Feet
Stay, Faraway So Close
The First Time
Acrobat
Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses
Running to Stand Still
Magnificent
Fast Cars
Moment of Surrender

Seriously one CD won't do it. I did a 4 CD compilation in chronological order so he could see the changes and developments the band went through and it went over well. Lots of deep cuts along with the hits are needed to flesh out U2. It also helps to know what the songs are about so the emotions sink in. Seeing where U2 started and where they ended up is very exhilarating.

I talked to another guy who didn't like Angel of Harlem because it couldn't compete with the inspiration. I just told him that it's U2 that is inspired and they aren't trying to compete. It's a love letter to music they like. Once I explained that he ended up liking the song.

People who like U2 also understand their limitations and try not to make it a competitive sport.

This is what I came up with:

CD 1:

1 - No Line On The Horizon
2 - Until The End of the World
3 - Love And Peace or Else
4 - Like A Song...
5 - A Sort of Homecoming (Live) - Wide Awake In America
6 - Where The Streets Have No Name
7 - One Tree Hill (Live from Point Depot) - 12/26
8 - Wire
9 - God Part II
10 - Daddy's Gonna Pay For Your Crashed Car
11 - Soon
12 - Breathe
13 - Out of Control
14 - Dirty Day
15 - The Playboy Mansion
16 - Two Hearts Beat As One
17 - Lemon
18 - Acrobat
19 - Love Is Blindness

CD 2:

1 - Even Better Than The Real Thing
2 - I Will Follow
3 - In God's Country
4 - Drowning Man
5 - Bullet The Blue Sky
6 - Stay (Faraway, So Close)
7 - Gone
8 - Miss Sarajevo
9 - Zooropa
10 - Hawkmoon 269
11 - The Electric Co.
12 - Bad (Live) - Wide Awake In America
13 - Zoo Station
14 - Discotheque
15 - Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me (Live from PopMart Mexico)
16 - Some Days Are Better Than Others
17 - Please (Single Version)
18 - Wake Up Dead Man

Zooropa
No Line On The Horizon
The Fly
Electrical Storm
Drowning Man
When Love Comes To Town
Stay (Faraway, So Close)
Running To Stand Still
Gone
Heartland
Acrobat
So Cruel
Tryin' To Throw Your Arms Around The World
Promenade
Bad
The Ground Beneath Her Feet
God Part II
All I Want Is You

A lot of the suggestions on here work. I'd definitely suggest Gone, UTEOTW, and The Fly if he's into those bands you said.

I didn't include a TON of Achtung Baby in the CD's only because, being my favorite U2 album, it gets played the most in my car and at the house. So he hears all those songs...

I really think he'll like some of the Zooropa/POP stuff and the stuff off War, UF, and R&H I included.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! :wave:

Back
Top Bottom