Brit Awards 1993

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I actually quite like Larry's bubble busting, if only because they were doing something more for the environment than promoting increased oil development in Africa. :doh:

I don't think anyone would miss 1993 U2 if they weren't so tedious now. Still, at least they've grown and haven't been milking the same schtick for 20 years. It's just that they've done nothing since then that's half as good, which really is just fine because half as good is still pretty good, and how many bands have even done anything half as good or complete as Zoo TV era U2? They were doing everything right - clear, well executed tour concept, amazing songwriting, they were funny (and to me seemed more natural than they do now), the innovations musically and on the tour were amazing, the visual aesthetic was great and looked like the music sounded...every aspect of U2 was perfect.

I wouldn't want that U2 again.

It was great in '93 because it was so different. Just a few years earlier - in 1990 - U2 was part of the "Red, Hot and Blue" collection. Their video for "Night and Day" fit very well into their JT era style. Hence, seeing U2 in their ZOO TV form was refreshing.

But now, it would be stale. U2 of today has the sincerity of the JT era but coupled with a wink in their eye of the ZOO era. And I think THIS is about as close to their real personalities as they are willing to show in public.

As for the future - who knows. They tend to surprise. I'd like to see the creation.

I wouldn't want that U2 again.

It was great in '93 because it was so different. Just a few years earlier - in 1990 - U2 was part of the "Red, Hot and Blue" collection. Their video for "Night and Day" fit very well into their JT era style. Hence, seeing U2 in their ZOO TV form was refreshing.

But now, it would be stale. U2 of today has the sincerity of the JT era but coupled with a wink in their eye of the ZOO era. And I think THIS is about as close to their real personalities as they are willing to show in public.

As for the future - who knows. They tend to surprise. I'd like to see the creation.

I disagree that the Night and Day video would fit in the JT era. It is one of the darkest videos they made (it was even censored due to a shot of a razorblade to the vein), the feel of the song and the creepy atmosphere of the video is more closer to what they did in the AB era. Well, maybe if there were more songs like Exit on JT, I'd agree with you.

I see absolutely nothing today that is reminiscent of the Zoo era unfortunately.

I disagree that the Night and Day video would fit in the JT era. It is one of the darkest videos they made (it was even censored due to a shot of a razorblade to the vein), the feel of the song and the creepy atmosphere of the video is more closer to what they did in the AB era. Well, maybe if there were more songs like Exit on JT, I'd agree with you.

I see absolutely nothing today that is reminiscent of the Zoo era unfortunately.

Have you ever actually though that you might not be an actual fan of the band? but rather a fan of the music the band made during that era?

Have you ever actually though that you might not be an actual fan of the band? but rather a fan of the music the band made during that era?

Priceless.

How did you come to that conclusion?

You do know that U2 was making music almost 15 years before the ZooTV era started?

Sorry to hurt your feelings though.

Priceless.

How did you come to that conclusion?

You do know that U2 was making music almost 15 years before the ZooTV era started?

Sorry to hurt your feelings though.

Feeling not hurt whatsoever, you just come across as that was an era you favour more than any other, and everything else is rather pale in comparrison, thats all,

Oh and if band done an acceptance speech like that these days, people on this forum would be coming on saying how cringeworth it is etc etc.

And then the regular apologists would come and be even more annoying.

you just come across as that was an era you favour more than any other, and everything else is rather pale in comparrison, thats all,

But isn't that allowed?

There are several bands that I'm a fan of, but favour one "era" over the rest.

That being said, this thread is rather odd, for it really says nothing about the band. But you're probably right in the sense that if they ever tried to do anything even remotely like this today those praising this would bash it as "cringeworthy".

Yeah, as much as I love the Zoo TV era they can't go back to that now - they're in their 50's now! No one would take them seriously, they need to move on, age with dignity and keep trying new stuff that doesn't compromise their legacy.

Oh and if band done an acceptance speech like that these days, people on this forum would be coming on saying how cringeworth it is etc etc.

:up:

*presses "like" button repeatedly.

djerdap: Maybe the "Night & Day" video is darker than the JT era, but it's about 100000x darker than the AB era too! How you could think that the N&D video blends more with the ZOO TV era is beyond my comprehension. ZOO TV was about color and flash and bright imagery. It wasn't this dark, brooding, black and white atmosphere. And when I say JT era, that includes R&H as I feel it is an extension of that time (just as "Zooropa" is part of the ZOO TV era). So perhaps N&D fits more with R&H, but it's still part of that whole long hair, ripped jeans, overly passionate, sincere image U2 had at that time.

But back to KUEFC09U2's post, I agree fully. If U2 today came on now dressed like that and acting like that, instead of people posting about how Larry ruined the fun, they'd all say how Larry saved this interview.

:up:

*presses "like" button repeatedly.

djerdap: Maybe the "Night & Day" video is darker than the JT era, but it's about 100000x darker than the AB era too! How you could think that the N&D video blends more with the ZOO TV era is beyond my comprehension. ZOO TV was about color and flash and bright imagery. It wasn't this dark, brooding, black and white atmosphere. And when I say JT era, that includes R&H as I feel it is an extension of that time (just as "Zooropa" is part of the ZOO TV era). So perhaps N&D fits more with R&H, but it's still part of that whole long hair, ripped jeans, overly passionate, sincere image U2 had at that time.

But back to KUEFC09U2's post, I agree fully. If U2 today came on now dressed like that and acting like that, instead of people posting about how Larry ruined the fun, they'd all say how Larry saved this interview.

Well Bono gets slammed to death for the way he dresses now!!! imagine if he dressed like that today?

I actually quite like Larry's bubble busting, if only because they were doing something more for the environment than promoting increased oil development in Africa. :doh:

I don't think anyone would miss 1993 U2 if they weren't so tedious now. Still, at least they've grown and haven't been milking the same schtick for 20 years. It's just that they've done nothing since then that's half as good, which really is just fine because half as good is still pretty good, and how many bands have even done anything half as good or complete as Zoo TV era U2? They were doing everything right - clear, well executed tour concept, amazing songwriting, they were funny (and to me seemed more natural than they do now), the innovations musically and on the tour were amazing, the visual aesthetic was great and looked like the music sounded...every aspect of U2 was perfect.

Larry saved the pretentious act/yapping from the other three. The Zoo TV hype/nostalgia is boring.

They took a few pictures on a boat and played a few songs at a benefit show. U2 never really were the designated ecologic band.

I said i MISS this U2. Not that I want them to go back to any of this. Do I believe they haven't risen (artistically) to the level of this era since? Yes. Am I glad they've done something different, albeit not as good, instead of being stuck in Achtung-mode forever? Hell yes.

The point of this thread is....just sharing a youtube video which I found amusing :doh:. Some people need to relax a little in this place :wave:

ZooTV wasn't just about color and flash. The concerts closed with one of their darkest songs and there were more melancholic moments in the setlist (Running To Stand Still as another example) than one would think. After all, the color and flash was deeply ironic as well, and there always was a dark undercurrent present during that time. And Achtung Baby is, along with Pop, arguably their darkest album, as songs like Acrobat, Love is Blindness and The Fly show, both sonically and lyrically. So yeah, I definitely put Night and Day thematically and sonically closer to Achtung Baby than Rattle and Hum. Long hair notwithstanding. Using arguments like "long hair" and "ripped jeans" is slightly beyond my comprehension, but what can you do.

Long hair? Seriously?

Back
Top Bottom