Boy released 30 years ago today

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:drool:Wow, and it has stood the test of time so well. Still in my top 5 U2 albums. i first heard it in 1984 when I was 9 and it sounds just as fresh now as it did then. Absolutely love it.

It is one of the few U2 records that you can pinpoint the time period it was from by its sound... But that doesn't mean it's not awesome.

Congrats.

It's a very good debut album, a sign for things to come, but I always regretted the fact that 11 O'Clock Tick Tock wasn't on it. In that case, it would be a pretty awesome debut album. Still, it has some underrated songs like Twilight and Another Time, Another Place, both featuring great guitar playing. And of course, The Electric Co. Most of it sounds much, much better live, since the production is slightly dated.

always thought a re-recorded 11 O'Clock Tick Tock (as they'd played it live) would have worked really well if they'd ever done that. But i wouldn't change a thing about this album. fucking LOVE it to bits, it's fantastic!

Glad they played The Electric Co. on the Vertigo tour, was amazing hearing that in Cardiff, never thought i'd hear it! :) think I'll give the album a listen later on.

One of the reasons why I like this forum - you guys always remember about dates like today. :)
Happy birthday, Boy! Happy birthday, U2!

I LOVE Shadows and Tall Trees! I think it's a great album and a quite well done debut effort. If I remember correctly they were in a hurry to finish it...or was that War? Anyway Boy was recorded rather quickly from what I read and it really is grand for how much time they spent on it. Give them a good while to work on the songs, even though they'd been doing that a lot before Boy was recorded, and we'd probably have something really spectacular here. Overall it's far from their best work but looking at how young they were and that this was their first it's pretty damn good to me. Happy B-Day Boy!:weekend:

Wow. Thirty years seems so much more than 29 to me for some reason.
I :heart: Boy. It was my favorite for some time and is still tied for second place. It's been a huge part of my teenage years. I bet that when it was released people said, wow, these boys are onto something.

At first I thought this was a Free Your Mind article and was worried they had run out of ways to bait one another.

At first I thought this was a Free Your Mind article and was worried they had run out of ways to bait one another.

Ha, that is pretty funny actually.

A U2 fan forum is the only place in the world where you could post a thread with this title and people would read it and think of it in the way the OP intended.

Anyway, I like this album. There are a good handful of U2 albums that mean more to me and that I listen to more regularly, but they were producing some very exciting music here at a young age. Impressive, especially THE EDGE!

U2 should have released a new double album on BOY's 30th birthday.

Album title: MAN

First disc: Remastered and Re-recorded all Boy tracks
Second Disc: All new songs written in the same fashion and style as the Boy songs

Back
Top Bottom