boston dvd the fly appreciation thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NYRangers78

War Child
man this version is kick ass.....watched it for years. watching it now while im fucking drunk as a motherfucker, the intro gives me goosebumps and its awesome because the band kicks ass and bono doesnt have a stupid policemans hat on to ruin the mood.

one of the best live versions of any u2 song ever.

Totally agree, it is amazing from beautiful start to crazy, manic end. Love it.

I've always thought tho - why does he jump right into the crowd at the end?? The camera then annoyingly cuts away so you can't fully see everyone mob him and him then getting back up on stage.

I agree. Probably their best performance of the song that I've heard. That whole DVD is incredible. I don't get why it doesn't get much love around here. The performances of The Fly, I Will Follow, Beautiful Day, Bullet The Blue Sky, Bad, and Gone are phenomenal.

That intro is great and should have stuck around, but ZooTV and Vertigo are better aside from that.

I agree. Probably their best performance of the song that I've heard. That whole DVD is incredible. I don't get why it doesn't get much love around here. The performances of The Fly, I Will Follow, Beautiful Day, Bullet The Blue Sky, Bad, and Gone are phenomenal.

Totally agree. This version of The Fly is even better the Zoo performances IMO. l would of course add Streets to that list for the DVD. It just brings the house down. :drool:

I absolutely love the Gone performance, especially becasue Edge throws a hissy fit at the end. :cute:

^ Yeah. I bet I'm in the minority, but I always felt Elevation had the best performances of The Fly- much better than ZooTV or Vertigo. But I think I read somewhere that the band wasn't pleased with how it turned out on Elevation, right? They're crazy. :huh:

From wikipedia- there's no citation, so I don't know how reliable it is, but it says:

"The version from the Elevation Tour, featured just The Edge on a Gibson Les Paul Custom playing in a lower key with less wah. Bono did not play guitar on these versions, as he usually performed on the heart-shaped stage in the audience. This version is also notable for its added introduction with Bono singing new lyrics over only Edge's arpeggioed chords. His new lyrics would then involve him reciting parts of the chorus of the song. The Edge did not sing in falsetto during the chorus as he has done on the versions from other tours. This tour also included the first extending ending of the song. The band felt that, while the song was good, they hadn't gotten it exactly right. David Bowie told them, upon hearing it, that it needed to be re-recorded. Bono has also said, "It took us fifteen years to really get it right live," assumingly meaning that the intended product is the version played on the Vertigo Tour."

Am usually torn between the gorgeous ethereal intro segueing into Edge's rockin' guitar on Elevation, or the raw energy of Zoo TV (Larry's thunderously rough drums!). I think that tonight, I'll go for Elevation.

Oh my god it is soooo good that, esp the intro&Bono running&biting :drool::combust:

Yes.

Yes.

YES!!!!

This is joint favourite of my U2 songs, along with Mysterious Ways (BBC Radio 1 broadcast from Dublin).

The intro is beautiful, the solo is beautiful. The Boston VHS was the second U2 product I bought, so was part of the lever that set me flying into the world of U2. :drool: I love it to bits.

This is my favourite version.

In particular I love the "Gotta go" ending. In fact if you hear the bootleg versions of The Fly (specifically London, 21 August 2001) you hear the "Gotta go" reflecting and getting muddled up in the most awesome way.

(6mins 20s onwards in this)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2lhmGASkp4

I kinda don't get how they could have been unhappy with the Zoo TV version of the track since I've always felt that it was a spot-on carbon copy of the studio version. I struggle to hear any differences.

Back
Top Bottom