boston dvd the fly appreciation thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I love this. I really enjoy the intro, even though it's kinda silly and not related to the song's lyrics. The guitar sounds cool, too. Probably my favorite live version of this song because it's good at doing this very different version.

The band felt that, while the song was good, they hadn't gotten it exactly right. David Bowie told them, upon hearing it, that it needed to be re-recorded. Bono has also said, "It took us fifteen years to really get it right live," assumingly meaning that the intended product is the version played on the Vertigo Tour."[/B]
This is a prime example of idiotic revisionism. For further examples, see butchering of songs from "Pop" and Zooropa on the "Best of 1990-2000" CD.

I am in love with Elevation Fly. :heart:

:yes: i love the stripped down beginning, it shows the true beauty of the song that i never saw before :heart:

bad/40/streets.............:combust:
i also love the perfect "imperfection" of the shoot.....the weird angles/closeups..... it feels a tiny tiny tiny fraction more like a concert, not like some glossy tv program :heart:

It’s cool in it’s own way, but the song loses it’s feel with this version. I’d rank it a solid third, well behind Zoo/Vertigo.

i also love the perfect "imperfection" of the shoot.....the weird angles/closeups..... it feels a tiny tiny tiny fraction more like a concert, not like some glossy tv program :heart:

Agreed. It used to get a lot of shit around here, and I don’t get why. I think it’s very, very well shot.

LEGENDARY!

The intro is emotional, you could really feel the passion in there. Bono definitely goes crazy like putting on The Fly singing voice and doing funny walks and running like a lunatic. The best part is definitely after the second chorus into the solo, it sounds absolutely magical. The outro is perfect with those "gotta go"'s and Bono planting himself onto the screen like a fly on the wall.

Simply classic. :up:

That intro is great and should have stuck around, but ZooTV and Vertigo are better aside from that.

I love the vertigo and the zoo versions, and I see where you're coming from. Those two are the more definitive versions in relation to the album version. But I think the boston elevation version just took it to another level.
Just my opinion.

I'd vote this performance as their greatest ever live moment musically.

Eliminating the moments of drama and emotion from performances like Live Aid, Sarajevo PopMart, Chile PopMart, some of the post 9-11 concerts etc... this is U2 at an absolute peak musically.

That performance is so totally mind blowing.

What they need to do re Elevation Tour is bring back Bad / When I look at the World. That snippet goes for like 2 minutes, it's basically the full song, and it sounds perfect.

blows away all the others. the band is just smoking. edge's guitar:drool: so much energy wish they would bring it back for the new tour.

The Boston DVD is pretty much full of amazing performances, you also get cracking versions of Bad, Streets, New York, Beautiful Day, Gone etc. :up:

I've always thought tho - why does he jump right into the crowd at the end?? The camera then annoyingly cuts away so you can't fully see everyone mob him and him then getting back up on stage.

MikeyJB posted this earlier (sorry for the late reply)
These clips were actually taken from two different shows in Boston.
1) He jumped into the audience
2) He ran to the screen to "stick" to the wall like a fly.

They switched up the different endings at differnt shows and the dvd combined them.

Anyway The Fly is my favorite all time U2 song, and this (Elevation Fly) version I think is the best!!

Actually! Fun (not really) fact about this song. I loved it that much that I got an online U2 friend from America to send me an audio CD version of it. :) Back when I didnt know (or no-one else did) how to download music or share.

Cos you cant play it from the DVD can ya? :D

Back
Top Bottom