Bono's Work Elicits Rants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

doctorwho

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
My TARDIS - currently located in Valparaiso, IN
Bono's political and charity acts are well known. Anyone who's watched R&H will hear and see this. And, as we all know, since 1998 or so, Bono has worked hard on the issue of extreme poverty. First it was with Jubilee 2000 for the new millennium. Then came DATA. Now it's ONE. And while the name has changed, the goal has remained the same: to help those who need it the most - but not be throwing money at them, but rather setting up programs to make people self-sufficient. Programs that allow AIDS and malaria to be treated quickly and inexpensively. Establishing means to make food and get water (wells). Then begin the manufacturing of goods and establish trade with other nations so that the people of Africa can finally begin to grow.

But all of you know this.

So why post?

Because despite Bono's decade+ long efforts, it seems little has changed in attitude.

I draw your attention to this short article on Yahoo. That article is fine - it simply discusses Bono meeting with the U.S. vice president. But read the comments. Almost all of them are negative. They are filled with people calling Bono a tax cheat (odd that this is said given that nearly 50% of the people in this country voted for Romney - a person who uses all of the same tax breaks Bono does). But most comments state that with all the problems the U.S. has, how can we even consider looking outside to help someone else.

That, however, is the very reason we must look outside ourselves. This is no longer an "us vs. them" situation. It's all "us". What happens there will affect us. And this isn't about giving money - at least not directly. It's about helping others - something people around the world used to do without a second thought. Look at 9/11, Katrina and Sandy - people rushed to help. And we have helped others nations, like Japan, when the earthquake and tsunami hit. We are great in an emergency. But when an entire continent has been under an emergency for generations, we yawn and say "what about us?"

Still, why post this?

Because I feel it's time we do more than complain about the lack of U2 music or moan when Bono preaches (yet secretly remain so proud of him). It's time we do more than get that ONE pin or sticker at a U2 concert or hold up our cell phones while Bono discusses Africa. It's time to get involved - at least a little bit. For those doing this already - thank you. For the rest of us, myself included, perhaps we can start by writing a little something of our own in the comments section of that article. Get people thinking. Sure, we'll probably get negative comments back - so what? Keep at it. This is far too important. And maybe that will inspire us to do even more. Because in an emergency, every little bit helps.

/end soapbox preaching mode. :up:

For the rest of us, myself included, perhaps we can start by writing a little something of our own in the comments section of that article. Get people thinking. Sure, we'll probably get negative comments back - so what? Keep at it. This is far too important. And maybe that will inspire us to do even more. Because in an emergency, every little bit helps.

/end soapbox preaching mode. :up:
Been there, done that. I'm not reading comments on sites like that (particularly Youtube) anymore. 90% is negativity. I'm not waisting my time reading comments as: ''Bono is a hypocrite, a tax evader'' etc etc.

I agree with the rest of your post:up:

i think it's because U2 and B-man are not flawless, clearly, re. their business decisions, and that puts him in a bit of a shaky position really...

B-man is trying to deal with extreme poverty, but in doing so is appearing to turn a blind eye to the other side of the coin which is unjust wealth distribution, tax breaks, etc. etc. which all have repercussions on poverty, obviously... i can see why people think he's a hypocrite actually - these aren't separate issues - they're ONE! lol

i think it's because U2 and B-man are not flawless, clearly, re. their business decisions, and that puts him in a bit of a shaky position really...

B-man is trying to deal with extreme poverty, but in doing so is appearing to turn a blind eye to the other side of the coin which is unjust wealth distribution, tax breaks, etc. etc. which all have repercussions on poverty, obviously... i can see why people think he's a hypocrite actually - these aren't separate issues - they're ONE! lol

:up: The problem is that Bono's credibility has taken a hit, and it's difficult for joe public to treat his campaigning seriously. It's like John Lennon preaching peace while being an investor in an ammunitions company (bad analogy I know, but you get the idea). The tax evasion debacle has become the stick with which Bono (and U2) are beaten with, and I'm sure Bono realizes it is undermining his efforts in the eyes of the plebs.

Yeah. If he was poor and bad at business he'd have a point about the plight of those brown people.

"Put down your fucking cell phone!"

30 minutes later: "Now would be a great time to take out your cell phones. Let's turn this place into the Milky Way!"

But read the comments.

Why the hell would I even want to do that?

It's exhausting caring about what random internet dorks think about Bono (or anyone else, honestly).

I think there are some very valid arguments to be made about the activism - many knowledgeable people have smart and interesting things to say in regards to what may or may not be the best approaches for "solving" the poverty issue. But you're not really going to find them on 95% of the internet sites where commenting is allowed.

He doesn't need defending from his fans; if there are valid criticisms about him and his work (and there are), then he's the one to decide if he wants to address that. Tiresome trolls who just go around and post "TAX EVADER!!!!" on articles about Bono are not the people to engage with. They don't give a shit what anyone else might have to say. They've already made up their minds.

30 minutes later: "Now would be a great time to take out your cell phones. Let's turn this place into the Milky Way!"

I was there that night and thought it was pretty hilarious actually

Why the hell would I even want to do that?

It's exhausting caring about what random internet dorks think about Bono (or anyone else, honestly).

I think there are some very valid arguments to be made about the activism - many knowledgeable people have smart and interesting things to say in regards to what may or may not be the best approaches for "solving" the poverty issue. But you're not really going to find them on 95% of the internet sites where commenting is allowed.

He doesn't need defending from his fans; if there are valid criticisms about him and his work (and there are), then he's the one to decide if he wants to address that. Tiresome trolls who just go around and post "TAX EVADER!!!!" on articles about Bono are not the people to engage with. They don't give a shit what anyone else might have to say. They've already made up their minds.
Good post:up:

Bono is doing what he thinks is right, he's been working relentlessly on these issues, he's giving his time and energy to these campaigns when he could have just sit back and enjoy his life, fame and money. He's a big star, he polarizes, many love him, many hate him, so what? I don't agree with everything he does or says, but I still admire and respect him A LOT. People throwing dirt at him and calling him stuff are, IMO, jealous or loosers themselves who fail to get anything done in their lives. Constructive critisism from people who know what they talk about is legitimate, but not mindless bashing from people who hate because they want to hate. The internet sometimes brings out the worst in people.

Bono is respected by a lot of people whose opinions actually DO matter and who are willing to work with him on the important issues, and I think that's the most important thing. People have to learn to stand up and be constructive and active instead of whining and complaining about someone else who has decided to get things done and actually make a change.

i can be tough on the guy, but i do think he's doing the best he can in his situation... not my preferred approach or my ethics or philosophy, but hey, i'll never be able to accomplish a fraction of what he has, so thumbs up to him i guess :D

(mock American accent while pretending to hold a phone) "Hey ma, I'm in the middle of Sunday Bloody Sunday. It's really going off in the Garden!"

Gold.

People who criticize Bono for his "tax evasion" don't have a fucking clue what they're talking about.

Except she was taking a picture and wasn't yapping at the time.

blimey i didn't know he snapped at a girl? i always thought it was a guy?

hope she chucked her cell phone at him! :D

During some show on the Vertigo tour, he bit someone's head off for diddling with their cell phone during the show. And then of course later in the show, he does the whole "take out your cell phones and text blah blah to One or Red or whatever."

middle breakdown of Sunday Bloody Sunday, when he was doing that Coexist thing

"Will you put down your fucking phone? you're at a concert....Christ. 'Hi mom, I'm in the middle of Sunday Bloody Sunday, it's really going off here at the Garden!' It is really going off here at the Garden! Let's be in the moment! I'm in the moment...and the moment feels good."

"OK who was I shouting at...it was you wasn't it? I'd just like to apologize... I'm not just going ask you to take out your phone, but this might be a good time for everybody to take out their cell phones...I'm serious."

:shrug:

I went to the show the day or two after and I was taking pictures of Bono on the ramp, and I couldn't sworn he was giving me a dirty look for doing so. :shrug:

I echo others over Bono yelling at a guy. I never heard of him yelling at a girl.

Back
Top Bottom