Bono's voice worst moments

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Bono’s helium voice? That’s a good name for it although a bit of an exageration! Would this be his high “thin” (not falsetto) voice that you seem to hear more and more of?- especially since around 2004. This voice is very prominent on “Blow your house down” - makes it very obvious the vocals are from very recent and not AB era.

Mostly, I just like Bono not sounding like he's on helium (Popmart).

Of course he wasn't great on Elevation, but I take that tone over the said helium any time. And at least something resembling passable high tones and a bottom end.

pcfitz80 said:
Bono’s helium voice? That’s a good name for it although a bit of an exageration! Would this be his high “thin” (not falsetto) voice that you seem to hear more and more of?- especially since around 2004. This voice is very prominent on “Blow your house down” - makes it very obvious the vocals are from very recent and not AB era.

I've noticed this, too, but mainly on the 360° Tour. Less in 2011 over the other years, though.

I think that one was a joke, not really sure if he really lost it at that moment.

I was at that show in Chicago (when he had a "frog in his throat"). He did have to clear his throat a few times. Happens to all of us. Trouble is, that is harsh on our vocal chords. No big deal for us when we talk - but not good for a singer. What's the alternative though?

I've watched that DVD many times. All that happened was that he was taking a sip of water seconds before the line for the middle eight came up, and it went down the wrong way. :shrug: Really no biggie and has nothing to do with singing. Have you ever had a hot potato go down the wrong way? :eek:

Hmm, your bad moment is one of my favorite live performances in U2's history. Bono's voice isn't the strongest, I suppose, but in my opinion, it complements that particular song well. In the Sarajevo performance of one, Bono's voice had completely collapsed (much more than Mexico), and I think it adds an amazing element to the song.

Check out Mofo and Discotheque from Sarajevo - the most passionate versions of those songs....the force Bono has to use to get them out makes them exceptional and, for me, the best live versions of those songs.

Back
Top Bottom