Bono's Vocal Range - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong
Click Here to Login

Old 01-06-2010, 04:24 AM   #61
New Yorker

Local Time: 07:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob33 View Post
haha...yes...the OP started a fairly objective thread....and you respond with "his best voice was 85-89," not really answering the OP's question...I don't even mind...Bono's voice is of much interest to me. I'm just pointing out the irony in your original "you just dropped a bomb here" statement
How to dismantle this atomic bomb?

Yahweh_OMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 04:58 AM   #62
War Child

Local Time: 06:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterrrrr View Post
To me the "I remember when..." verse on this one blows away every ZooTV versions vocal on this song. Theres no way he would be able to hit "lie" that high and clean in 92.
Turn up the speakers and listen:
w w w.send space.com/file/0kt608
I agree, I don't think ZOO TV Bono would have been able to sustain the intensity that his older self manages to pull off on 360. Overall though I'd say each performance is pretty evenly matched, I prefer the Washington rendition for its polished edge but enjoy the more visceral version on 360 too.

Bono's vocals on NLOTH are pretty good on the whole, certainly much better than those on 'Bomb.' The title track, Magnificent and MOS are all stunning but some of the stuff on UC, SUC and Breathe is a little disappointing and unnecessarily weak.

It is amazing though to think how much range he has recaptured since ATYCLB. On Elevation I thought his voice was in terminal decline and there was no way we'd ever hear the kind of jaw-dropping vocals that made the band so distinctive again. But he's proved me wrong on this most recent record and got me excited about the possibilities again.

DevilsShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 09:11 AM   #63
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 09:56 AM
I agree. No matter what has come and gone before, right now he sounds great and that's really all that matters.
bonocomet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 12:31 PM   #64
Acrobat

Local Time: 05:56 PM
I'm not sure his range is wider now, well I certainly don't hear it. His voice in the 80s and early 90s showed real power, range, emotion etc. Bono's voice was one of the main reasons I started to like U2, just like many other powerful singers such as Freddie Mercury, Mike Patten, Chris Cornell, Eddie Vedder, it adds that extra dimension, it's take it to a higher level and makes the more more exciting.
There have been some great vocals by Bono in recent years such as as Magnificent, Fez-Being Born, but on the whole it doesn't sound as exciting, interesting or dynamic as it once was. You can't deny that listening to All I Want is You is much more satisfying than Crumbs from your table, Playboy Mansion, Original of the Species, Stuck in A Moment etc, all have decent vocals but nothing that stands out as outstanding.
His vocals might have been more raw in the 80s, but there was definitely more character and mystique, even so he has a better voice than many vocalists now, who sounds quite flat, boring and dull i.e. lead singers of Snow Patrol, The Killers, Coldplay are a perfect example, the tunes they make are okay, but they will never get to U2's level because they are held band by the limitations of their singers. Put 80s Bono into The Killers and they would be amazing for instance, their seems to be a dearth of really good, powerful singers at the moment.
Thanksandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 01:51 PM   #65
New Yorker

Technicalities aside....Bonos voice, for me, sounded at its best 1987-94
gman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 01:53 PM   #66
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonocomet View Post
I agree. No matter what has come and gone before, right now he sounds great and that's really all that matters.
Couldnt disagree more. On comprable songs.....he isnt a fraction as good at singin songs as he was in the past! He just doesnt put the same feeling into the classics now
gman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 02:03 PM   #67
Blue Crack Distributor

Well that isn't what I meant/was talking about. I was agreeing that I thought he sounded best before. But aside from that, I still think he sounds pretty great now, which is a whole lot better than if he didn't sound good any more. So for me at least, that is what matters, unless you want to sit around, lament the past and miss this tour, we might as well enjoy now.

(Also I was not referring to the feeling he puts into individual songs, but the sound and ability of his voice. Though I also can't say I agree with you on the feeling thing either)
Old 01-07-2010, 03:02 PM   #68
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 06:56 PM
I think Bono just doesn't want to lose his voice totally and that's the reason for him not singing every note as he did before.

If he really wants to he can sing really great (see Ultraviolet this tour) but he just doesn't do it for every song.
nielsgov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 08:21 PM   #69
New Yorker

I think that Lovetown Bono visited this version of UTEOTW in 4:19 to 4:42

w w w.send space.com/file/r3gt6e

He realy belts it out like back in the LT days, not the best type of singing if you like take care of your voice, but nice to see that he still got that rawness in his voice see that he still got that rawness in his voice
Peterrrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 11:31 PM   #70
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:

He realy belts it out like back in the LT days, not the best type of singing if you like take care of your voice, but nice to see that he still got that rawness in his voice see that he still got that rawness in his voice
damn, thanks for that Peter...also that version of Ultaviolet from Milan is spectacular
Rob33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 11:55 PM   #71
Acrobat

Quote:

wow that was sick it did sound like 89 bono i didnt know he still had that in him
Jdelbove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 12:14 AM   #72
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:

Wowwwwww.
Old 01-08-2010, 01:40 AM   #73
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 01:56 PM
Quote:

That was amazing. I am so glad that I heard that!

I have heard people say that Bono's voice was weak on the last tour, but it's really hard to argue that point considering how he sang Miss Sarajevo. And then there's always this...

The whole thing really, but 4:45 on in particular...that's some epic stuff.
When I hear THAT, I expect it to be coming out of THIS

I think it was in '03 (not positive), so not current, but after the period where most would agree that the damage was done to his voice and it was at its worst.
secretly alone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 05:04 AM   #74
New Yorker

Quote:

If you like this energy, listen to the 2009-08-15 and 2009-09-29 shows . He is very ON!
Old 01-08-2010, 07:23 AM   #75
New Yorker

this Night and Day is epic, this is what U2 is about!!!! THis is unbelievable, I can't remember hearing that before, where the hell was I in 2003!!????
Yahweh_OMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 12:04 PM   #76
New Yorker

I think its time for them to perform IGC on the new tour, he sings it very well 3:42 in this video.
Old 01-08-2010, 01:47 PM   #77
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 01:56 PM
why the band don't play In God's Country more often baffles me.. it's a high energy rock n roll song, works so well live..
Registered Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 02:41 PM   #78
Blue Crack Distributor

Loved hearing those snippets at Vegas and Pasadena! I agree, would love to see the song done!

I'm going to add this to my favorite Bono's voice clips. He sounds awesome throughout but 2:40 - 3:10 is

Old 01-08-2010, 02:56 PM   #79
Blue Crack Addict

2:04
U2girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 04:21 PM   #80
New Yorker

Please, please could some note expert help me with these notes, how high are they:

Riot in 1:16

The verse
"We set ourselves on fire Oh God, do not deny her"
in 1:32

"Now we lie" in 3:05

The second far in 2:17

[/QUOTE]

"This looooooooooooooove" in 2:12 is a very high note

"Touch" in 3:22 ( sounds like an A)

IGCIIDGCT
"It’s not a hill, it’s a MOUNTAAAAAAAAIN"

"Listen for me, I’ll be SHOUUUUUTING"
Would have been great if Bono had contnuine to hold the "shouting" note a bit more and gone one step higher. Sounds to me like he is very near the high C?