Bono's Vocal Range

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
haha...yes...the OP started a fairly objective thread....and you respond with "his best voice was 85-89," not really answering the OP's question...I don't even mind...Bono's voice is of much interest to me. I'm just pointing out the irony in your original "you just dropped a bomb here" statement :)

How to dismantle this atomic bomb?

To me the "I remember when..." verse on this one blows away every ZooTV versions vocal on this song. Theres no way he would be able to hit "lie" that high and clean in 92.
Turn up the speakers and listen:
w w w.send space.com/file/0kt608

I agree, I don't think ZOO TV Bono would have been able to sustain the intensity that his older self manages to pull off on 360. Overall though I'd say each performance is pretty evenly matched, I prefer the Washington rendition for its polished edge but enjoy the more visceral version on 360 too.

Bono's vocals on NLOTH are pretty good on the whole, certainly much better than those on 'Bomb.' The title track, Magnificent and MOS are all stunning but some of the stuff on UC, SUC and Breathe is a little disappointing and unnecessarily weak.

It is amazing though to think how much range he has recaptured since ATYCLB. On Elevation I thought his voice was in terminal decline and there was no way we'd ever hear the kind of jaw-dropping vocals that made the band so distinctive again. But he's proved me wrong on this most recent record and got me excited about the possibilities again.

:up: I agree. No matter what has come and gone before, right now he sounds great and that's really all that matters.

I'm not sure his range is wider now, well I certainly don't hear it. His voice in the 80s and early 90s showed real power, range, emotion etc. Bono's voice was one of the main reasons I started to like U2, just like many other powerful singers such as Freddie Mercury, Mike Patten, Chris Cornell, Eddie Vedder, it adds that extra dimension, it's take it to a higher level and makes the more more exciting.
There have been some great vocals by Bono in recent years such as as Magnificent, Fez-Being Born, but on the whole it doesn't sound as exciting, interesting or dynamic as it once was. You can't deny that listening to All I Want is You is much more satisfying than Crumbs from your table, Playboy Mansion, Original of the Species, Stuck in A Moment etc, all have decent vocals but nothing that stands out as outstanding.
His vocals might have been more raw in the 80s, but there was definitely more character and mystique, even so he has a better voice than many vocalists now, who sounds quite flat, boring and dull i.e. lead singers of Snow Patrol, The Killers, Coldplay are a perfect example, the tunes they make are okay, but they will never get to U2's level because they are held band by the limitations of their singers. Put 80s Bono into The Killers and they would be amazing for instance, their seems to be a dearth of really good, powerful singers at the moment.

:up: I agree. No matter what has come and gone before, right now he sounds great and that's really all that matters.

Couldnt disagree more. On comprable songs.....he isnt a fraction as good at singin songs as he was in the past! He just doesnt put the same feeling into the classics now

Well that isn't what I meant/was talking about. I was agreeing that I thought he sounded best before. But aside from that, I still think he sounds pretty great now, which is a whole lot better than if he didn't sound good any more. So for me at least, that is what matters, unless you want to sit around, lament the past and miss this tour, we might as well enjoy now.

(Also I was not referring to the feeling he puts into individual songs, but the sound and ability of his voice. Though I also can't say I agree with you on the feeling thing either) :wink:

I think Bono just doesn't want to lose his voice totally and that's the reason for him not singing every note as he did before. :shrug:

If he really wants to he can sing really great (see Ultraviolet this tour) but he just doesn't do it for every song.

I think that Lovetown Bono visited this version of UTEOTW in 4:19 to 4:42 :)

w w w.send space.com/file/r3gt6e

He realy belts it out like back in the LT days, not the best type of singing if you like take care of your voice, but nice to see that he still got that rawness in his voice :) see that he still got that rawness in his voice :)

He realy belts it out like back in the LT days, not the best type of singing if you like take care of your voice, but nice to see that he still got that rawness in his voice :) see that he still got that rawness in his voice :)

damn, thanks for that Peter...also that version of Ultaviolet from Milan is spectacular :up:

wow that was sick it did sound like 89 bono i didnt know he still had that in him

Wowwwwww.

:ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy:

That was amazing. I am so glad that I heard that!

I have heard people say that Bono's voice was weak on the last tour, but it's really hard to argue that point considering how he sang Miss Sarajevo. And then there's always this...

YouTube - U2 Night & Day live

The whole thing really, but 4:45 on in particular...that's some epic stuff.
When I hear THAT, I expect it to be coming out of THIS

bonofistsacposted.jpg

:wink:

I think it was in '03 (not positive), so not current, but after the period where most would agree that the damage was done to his voice and it was at its worst.

If you like this energy, listen to the 2009-08-15 and 2009-09-29 shows . He is very ON!

this Night and Day is epic, this is what U2 is about!!!! THis is unbelievable, I can't remember hearing that before, where the hell was I in 2003!!????

why the band don't play In God's Country more often baffles me.. it's a high energy rock n roll song, works so well live..

Please, please could some note expert help me with these notes, how high are they:

Riot in 1:16​
YouTube - U2 - "I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight (Renaka Mix)" Live @ Soldier Field; Chicago, IL

The verse
"We set ourselves on fire Oh God, do not deny her"
in 1:32​
YouTube - Moment of Surrender Final U2 360 SdF Paris

"Now we lie" in 3:05

YouTube - U2 Ultraviolet, Milano 07/07/2009 360 Tour

The second far in 2:17​
YouTube - The Unforgettable Fire - u2 live in milan san siro[/QUOTE]

"This looooooooooooooove" in 2:12 is a very high note
YouTube - U2 360 Tour - Barcelona - Drowning Man (Full Rehearsal) - 20 June 2009

"Touch" in 3:22 ( sounds like an A)​
YouTube - U2 - Beautiful day - Amsterdam 21 July 2009

IGCIIDGCT
"It’s not a hill, it’s a MOUNTAAAAAAAAIN"

"Listen for me, I’ll be SHOUUUUUTING"
Would have been great if Bono had contnuine to hold the "shouting" note a bit more and gone one step higher. Sounds to me like he is very near the high C?

Loved hearing those snippets at Vegas and Pasadena! I agree, would love to see the song done!

I'm going to add this to my favorite Bono's voice clips. He sounds awesome throughout but 2:40 - 3:10 is :love:

YouTube - Bono and Kylie Minogue - Kids - 12-11-2006

I had never seen that before, and am not a huge fan of hers, but that's right up there with the best of Bono's non-U2 duets. Thanks for sharing! :up:

Bono & Kylie Minogue - Kids (White Diamond documentary)

http://video.ak.facebook.com/video-ak-sf2p/v2685/153/10/197529470654_27607.mp4

This is a video i've uploaded on my facebook.....hope the link works

Bono joined Kylie Minogue on her 2006-08 Showgirl tour at a concert in Sydney on November 12, 2006. They performed the Kylie Minogue/Robbie Williams duet 'Kids'. This is a mini-documentary about that performance.

Bono joined Kylie Minogue on her 2006-08 Showgirl tour at a concert in Sydney on November 12, 2006. They performed the Kylie Minogue/Robbie Williams duet 'Kids'. This is a mini-documentary about that performance.

:up: I was so excited waiting for her tour dvd to come out, hoping the performance would be included, but it wasn't :grumpy: but there was this special feature anyways. I thought I had it on my computer but can't find it anymore. Any chance you could upload it somewhere to share?

I wish there was better video of the performance, but that you tube compilation is the only one I've ever seen. Shame it wasn't included on the dvd.

And you're welcome gvox :) I completely agree with you, it's always been a favorite of mine.

I think it was in '03 (not positive), so not current, but after the period where most would agree that the damage was done to his voice and it was at its worst.

2002 was a disaster, but Bono's voice had a good 2003. See: Electrical Storm for another example.

Wow, this video is so great. Thanks for posting!!

just right-click on the link and "save link as" (or "save target as", depending upon your browser)

Thanks. I actually did that and it came out all choppy and skipped and I couldn't watch it so I thought it might of had something to do with the face book link, but probably not. I'll try redownloading it, or try watching it on a few different players. Thanks again for posting it :up:

Back
Top Bottom