Bono's 'Supposed' Africa Lecturing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

roy

Refugee
Over the last 4/5 years every anti-Bono blog that I've read has always mentioned Bono lecturing concert crowds on how the 'West' should support Africa with aid. I have to say that I'm a bit bemused by this because I have never found Bono to be 'lecturing' on this subject. Yes he mentions it but I've never felt that he's ramming it down anyones throat exactly.

I'd be interesting in peoples thoughts on this subject.

I have mixed feelings on this issue. While I truly believe Bono's heart is in the right place and that these are serious issues to address, I also have some trouble with hearing so much about it.

I don't think he's ramming it down throats per se, but he definitely spends a lot of time at the pulpit. And there are two problems with this:

1) Concert-goers are there to hear music and distract themselves from the world. While U2 fans have always been a more engaged group, there are still a lot of people in the stadium who don't care to hear speeches interrupting the music.

2) Bono really flirts with over-exposure. The band gets so much press for their music that it already causes a natural back-lash in some circles. So for him to get added press for his politicking, it just leaves a bad taste in the mouths of many and makes him an easy target for the haters and even for the neutral crowd.

So my personal preference would be to see him cut it out entirely. If for no other reason than to lose the distraction for himself so he can focus his edgy-ness back into the music.

But then who would take up the cause?

I don't think he's ramming it down throats per se, but he definitely spends a lot of time at the pulpit.
?

Can you give me an example of this because personally, live, I think Bono spends bugger all time at the 'pulpit'.

Examples please...

My examples would be the 5-minute nightly speeches he was doing at the beginning of 'One' on the Vertigo Tour.

On this tour, the messaging around 'Walk On' is not in long speech form, but is definitely a political distraction from the music.

Plus, in every concert he makes one-off statements like the Sheffield one about "what makes Great Britain great"....etc., etc.

Again, it's not like he is going way over the top. But it's always there. And believe me, I'm far from the biggest critic of this. I generally respect his messages and can over-look them. I'm merely trying to suggest what gets on some people's nerves.

My examples would be the 5-minute nightly speeches he was doing at the beginning of 'One' on the Vertigo Tour.

'5 minutes' :huh:

The fact that you have to exaggerate to prove a point is sad.

Oh..and there's a huge difference between communicating a messsage and giving a lecture from a 'Pulpit'.

I'm great with Bono's preaching. I'm glad he does it, even at concerts. There were times on the VT, I think where Bono's preaching might have seemed a little over-trivializing, but I really like how they approach it on this tour... with the Crazy Tonight remix, linking from the obvious in-the-moment-ism of a concert to the realities of the world.

his speeches before One on Vertigo tour got to be pretty long. i don't mind personally though.

People who don't want to be reminded of it, don't like it.

It says more about them than it does about Bono.

I find it distracting (take the VT speech before One) because I know full and well what his message is but I can't blame him for it.

The people who are just put off by him merely talking about something topical/political, (the "shut up and sing" crowd), simply don't want to be reminded of it, IMO. Because it's not a message you'd disagree with, if you had any sense or empathy at all.

It becomes a reason to find hypocrisy in what he's saying. It becomes less and less a problem with the message and more about a problem with the man.

Let me clarify, there are issues with his message, so it's not always "don't remind me of it". And I can see some merit to some of the criticisms. There were people in Govt, who had the same problem. Throwing money into a bottomless hole etc. Different ways to tackle the problem, but these are few and far between. More so it becomes a personal attack and a statement about Bono's hypocrisy than a criticism of how they want to bring aid.

I'm mostly making a generalization about average concert-goers and the "shut up and sing" crowd. Not necessarily political editorials and bloggers etc.

Just wanted to make that clear.

It's U2's stage, and just how cynical and hypocritical do we have to be to say that people using their exposure for positive impact is bad, and praise to high-heaven bad influence no-talents like Lady Gaga.

My main problem with Bono's overexposure in regards to Issues is the possibility that it prevents the cynics from actually doing something. You know, they might think charity's lame because Bono does it, I dunno. And that's really the biggest shame of it, it's not about whether or not Bono talks all over One or whatever.

If someone is going to not take action because Bono does it .... then they're probably not the kind of person who was going to take any damn action anyway.

I felt he actually tuned it down A LOT during the recent tour. One fact may have been the new Tutu speech which was a clever move and placing it on a spot before One also helped to shut Bono up about the subject. That being said, I don't mind Bono going political, I'm used to it and we all know how much these causes mean to him, so I'd be shocked if he stopped it altogether. During the last year I felt that he is really tuning it down, maybe because of critisism, maybe because he felt himself that he was over-doing it. It's sad that it gives people the ammunition to shoot him with, but whenever I hear the critisism I think: What are you guys doing to make a change? I think the people who really matter and who Bono has to deal with in his political life mostly respect him and his causes and that's all that matters in the end.

How can a message about a political or social issue distract anyone from music that has an evident political and social meaning in itself? How can it prevent anyone to take action against unequality? I've read many posts in this forum criticising Bono for speaking of Suu Kyii at the beginning of Walk On as a distraction! Sad.

There are many people who don't care about social problems, I'm not saying they are bad people, no, they care about their families and country, and maybe they are the nicest people in the world, but they don't care about what isn't immediately before them, then, there are people who understand that some of our preminent position in Western countries is due to the explotation and the denying of our same rights to others and don't want to lose their position, and people who think that our pretty, little crisis, provoked by bank holders, entitles us to care only about ourselves.

But having to recognise that is not only politically incorrect in our days, but it must be hurtful for some, so, instead of it, they criticise the messager, they hate him and want him to change, moreover, they demand him to change because they have paid him some euros/dollars for attending to a show, when he doesn't, they conclude he must be hypocrital, which somehow reminds me of the fox and the grapes tale.

It's nothing new.

They were saying shut up and play the music in 1987 when he talked about Reagan's policies on stage, in 1992 with the Sarajevo broadcasts, in 2001 with the anti-gun rap/video in Bullet the blue sky, and obviously on Vertigo tour.
I think this time around it's more like "shut up rich guy who won't pay his taxes".

On this tour, the messaging around 'Walk On' is not in long speech form, but is definitely a political distraction from the music.

Plus, in every concert he makes one-off statements like the Sheffield one about "what makes Great Britain great"....etc., etc.

Again, it's not like he is going way over the top. But it's always there. And believe me, I'm far from the biggest critic of this. I generally respect his messages and can over-look them. I'm merely trying to suggest what gets on some people's nerves.

I'm sorry but the message before Walk On is awesome and very well put.

And about "what makes great britain great..." . Do you want him to say: "Great Britain sucks. I mean: YOU REALLY Suck!"

Music and messages have always been together and U2 are not the only ones to make political statements.

I'm sorry but the message before Walk On is awesome and very well put.

And about "what makes great britain great..." . Do you want him to say: "Great Britain sucks. I mean: YOU REALLY Suck!"

Music and messages have always been together and U2 are not the only ones to make political statements.

:up:

I suspect that he/she doesn't even know what Walk On is about!

Roy (OP) is right. I think the longest Vertigo speech before One clocks in at 1:33 or something. Most were well under a minute. Imagine that - a whole minute out of 124 or so. The horrorz.

U2 have always been a somewhat political band and it's engrained in their music and their history. We all know what Bono does outside of the band and it is an important part of his life and the rest of the band are supportive of his causes. People who criticise his 5 minute talks or the graphical sequences publicising certain causes must understand that this is a part of U2 and always has been. Going to a u2 concert is not just about the music, but also about issues that are close to the band and to try an inspire change and promote awareness of certain topics, that are a reason behind many of their songs.

:tsk:

The GaGa smites you with her awesomeness.

But she agrees with the first part of your comment.

Sorry corriander, its fine if people think she's entertaining to watch but it's not exactly a musical genius emerging, and I think the sentiments buried in infectious songs like 'Just Dance' are just wrong.

Roy (OP) is right. I think the longest Vertigo speech before One clocks in at 1:33 or something. Most were well under a minute. Imagine that - a whole minute out of 124 or so. The horrorz.

well that's definitely not true. in Hartford the speech before One was around 3 minutes from the start of when he asked us to take out our Cell phones. there were a few longer from the New York shows too.

and no, i didn't time them when I was there, just looking at the bootlegs.

Sorry corriander, its fine if people think she's entertaining to watch but it's not exactly a musical genius emerging, and I think the sentiments buried in infectious songs like 'Just Dance' are just wrong.

Lots of songs you'll have to write off if you think there are bad messages in songs about being shit-faced.

I mean, do you feel the same way about "Trying to Throw Your Arms Around the World"? ;)

I get my hackles raised when someone throws around the word "talentless" about someone whose music they don't care for. You don't like her music, fine - but talentless? You've clearly never heard her perform one of her songs as a solo acoustic number with a piano.

But anyway, back to Bono's mid-concert dissertations on Africa....

'5 minutes' :huh:

The fact that you have to exaggerate to prove a point is sad.

Oh..and there's a huge difference between communicating a messsage and giving a lecture from a 'Pulpit'.

Pal, you asked the question, asked for opinions, I kindly obliged you and you're calling me 'sad' because you don't like what my opinion is? Nice.

And before you claim I'm exaggerating, check your facts. Bono himself said that Larry imposed a "5 minute" time limit on his speech prior to One on the Vertigo Tour. I just checked the Chicago recording and it came in well over 4 minutes.

Exaggeration?

Bono can say what he wants and do what he wants. It doesn't bother me at all and in fact, I admire it. As I stated up front, I was merely trying to point out what I think irks a segment of fans.

Oh, and for the other poster, I'm quite well aware of what Walk On is about. I can guarantee you U2 fans don't come more die-hard than me. If you re-read my post, I'm theorizing on what irks the casual fan.

I don't get this rush to jump on anyone that points out anything the least bit negative or discussion-focused.

Back
Top Bottom