Bono's 'Supposed' Africa Lecturing - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong
Click Here to Login

Old 11-27-2009, 03:56 PM   #1
roy
Refugee

Local Time: 07:22 PM
Bono's 'Supposed' Africa Lecturing

Over the last 4/5 years every anti-Bono blog that I've read has always mentioned Bono lecturing concert crowds on how the 'West' should support Africa with aid. I have to say that I'm a bit bemused by this because I have never found Bono to be 'lecturing' on this subject. Yes he mentions it but I've never felt that he's ramming it down anyones throat exactly.

I'd be interesting in peoples thoughts on this subject.

roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 04:06 PM   #2
The Fly

I have mixed feelings on this issue. While I truly believe Bono's heart is in the right place and that these are serious issues to address, I also have some trouble with hearing so much about it.

I don't think he's ramming it down throats per se, but he definitely spends a lot of time at the pulpit. And there are two problems with this:

1) Concert-goers are there to hear music and distract themselves from the world. While U2 fans have always been a more engaged group, there are still a lot of people in the stadium who don't care to hear speeches interrupting the music.

2) Bono really flirts with over-exposure. The band gets so much press for their music that it already causes a natural back-lash in some circles. So for him to get added press for his politicking, it just leaves a bad taste in the mouths of many and makes him an easy target for the haters and even for the neutral crowd.

So my personal preference would be to see him cut it out entirely. If for no other reason than to lose the distraction for himself so he can focus his edgy-ness back into the music.

But then who would take up the cause?

Tim Wallach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 04:10 PM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:22 PM
If you follow the U2 sites you get to hear more about it.
U2girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 04:15 PM   #4
roy
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wallach View Post

I don't think he's ramming it down throats per se, but he definitely spends a lot of time at the pulpit.
?
Can you give me an example of this because personally, live, I think Bono spends bugger all time at the 'pulpit'.

Examples please...
Old 11-27-2009, 04:22 PM   #5
The Fly

My examples would be the 5-minute nightly speeches he was doing at the beginning of 'One' on the Vertigo Tour.

On this tour, the messaging around 'Walk On' is not in long speech form, but is definitely a political distraction from the music.

Plus, in every concert he makes one-off statements like the Sheffield one about "what makes Great Britain great"....etc., etc.

Again, it's not like he is going way over the top. But it's always there. And believe me, I'm far from the biggest critic of this. I generally respect his messages and can over-look them. I'm merely trying to suggest what gets on some people's nerves.
Tim Wallach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 04:30 PM   #6
roy
Refugee

Quote:
My examples would be the 5-minute nightly speeches he was doing at the beginning of 'One' on the Vertigo Tour.
'5 minutes'

The fact that you have to exaggerate to prove a point is sad.

Oh..and there's a huge difference between communicating a messsage and giving a lecture from a 'Pulpit'.
Old 11-27-2009, 04:32 PM   #7
War Child

Local Time: 03:22 PM
Bono's always been political. This is nothing new folks.
gweeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 04:43 PM   #8
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:22 PM
i think we got the worst of it during the Vertigo Tour.
mikal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 04:48 PM   #9
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:22 PM
I'm great with Bono's preaching. I'm glad he does it, even at concerts. There were times on the VT, I think where Bono's preaching might have seemed a little over-trivializing, but I really like how they approach it on this tour... with the Crazy Tonight remix, linking from the obvious in-the-moment-ism of a concert to the realities of the world.
digitize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 04:59 PM   #10
roy
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikal View Post
i think we got the worst of it during the Vertigo Tour.
Vague, vague, vague....

The bottom line is....... 'Can you give a few examples'?

Needless to say examples have to be without exageration.
Old 11-27-2009, 05:06 PM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 02:22 PM
his speeches before One on Vertigo tour got to be pretty long. i don't mind personally though.
popacrobat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 05:15 PM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

People who don't want to be reminded of it, don't like it.

It says more about them than it does about Bono.

I find it distracting (take the VT speech before One) because I know full and well what his message is but I can't blame him for it.

The people who are just put off by him merely talking about something topical/political, (the "shut up and sing" crowd), simply don't want to be reminded of it, IMO. Because it's not a message you'd disagree with, if you had any sense or empathy at all.

It becomes a reason to find hypocrisy in what he's saying. It becomes less and less a problem with the message and more about a problem with the man.
U2DMfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 05:24 PM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Let me clarify, there are issues with his message, so it's not always "don't remind me of it". And I can see some merit to some of the criticisms. There were people in Govt, who had the same problem. Throwing money into a bottomless hole etc. Different ways to tackle the problem, but these are few and far between. More so it becomes a personal attack and a statement about Bono's hypocrisy than a criticism of how they want to bring aid.

I'm mostly making a generalization about average concert-goers and the "shut up and sing" crowd. Not necessarily political editorials and bloggers etc.

Just wanted to make that clear.
U2DMfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 06:23 PM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 08:22 PM
Quote:
But then who would take up the cause?
well there's these things called NGO's and charities for instance... he's not doing it all single-handedly you know...
mama cass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 01:05 AM   #15
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:22 PM
It's U2's stage, and just how cynical and hypocritical do we have to be to say that people using their exposure for positive impact is bad, and praise to high-heaven bad influence no-talents like Lady Gaga.
powerhour24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 01:07 AM   #16
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 11:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerhour24 View Post
no-talents like Lady Gaga.

The GaGa smites you with her awesomeness.

But she agrees with the first part of your comment.
corianderstem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 01:10 AM   #17
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:52 AM
My main problem with Bono's overexposure in regards to Issues is the possibility that it prevents the cynics from actually doing something. You know, they might think charity's lame because Bono does it, I dunno. And that's really the biggest shame of it, it's not about whether or not Bono talks all over One or whatever.
The Sad Punk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 01:10 AM   #18
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 11:22 AM
If someone is going to not take action because Bono does it .... then they're probably not the kind of person who was going to take any damn action anyway.
corianderstem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 01:12 AM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by corianderstem View Post
If someone is going to not take action because Bono does it .... then they're probably not the kind of person who was going to take any damn action anyway.
I suppose so, but... whatever, those people are jerks, I guess. They don't get a space in my bomb shelter.
The Sad Punk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 04:48 AM   #20
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:22 PM
I felt he actually tuned it down A LOT during the recent tour. One fact may have been the new Tutu speech which was a clever move and placing it on a spot before One also helped to shut Bono up about the subject. That being said, I don't mind Bono going political, I'm used to it and we all know how much these causes mean to him, so I'd be shocked if he stopped it altogether. During the last year I felt that he is really tuning it down, maybe because of critisism, maybe because he felt himself that he was over-doing it. It's sad that it gives people the ammunition to shoot him with, but whenever I hear the critisism I think: What are you guys doing to make a change? I think the people who really matter and who Bono has to deal with in his political life mostly respect him and his causes and that's all that matters in the end.

last unicorn is offline   Reply With Quote