Bonos problem with voice tips!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Peterrrrr

New Yorker
I thought this thread was going to be about tips for Bono when he had voice problems.

1. Gargle warm water and honey.

2. Rest.

3. Grapefruit juice.

4. Only smoke menthols...

Something like that.

I thought this thread was going to be about tips for Bono when he had voice problems.

2. Rest.

3. Grapefruit juice.

Something like that.
:lol:
/thread

2. Rest.

3. Grapefruit juice.

Something like that.

:lmao:

Peterrrrr, sometimes I'm in awe of your focus on this one subject, and I just want to ruffle your hair and say "good job!" or something. :)

What would be a more obscure field of study, 1870s Lithuanian Agriculture or Bono Voiceology?

Does anyone have anything to contribute to the actual topic of the thread?

Poor Peterrrr. :|

I think its about how he prefers Bono's voice when it is having problems and does anyone else feel the same way.. ?

Does anyone have anything to contribute to the actual topic of the thread?

Poor Peterrrr. :|

I was actually trying to be complimentary about his interest, and the time he spends listening and analyzing. It's not my thing, but more power to him if he enjoys it. I can see how what I said could have come across in a backhanded way, though. :reject: It wasn't intended that way.

And yeah, I do agree, when he's not completely on vocally, there's still emotion and almost a vulnerability to his voice that's endearing.

I'm sure there have been times when he sounds a bit weary or tired, and that gives his voice some further depth, but whenever he's been obviously in pain (i.e., those times in Popmart, JT or Lovetown), it just makes me wince and want to stop listening.

I can imagine what trying to sing through that felt like, and it makes me want to grab at my own throat in sympathy.

How about With or Without You PopMart Mexico City? He didn't seem to be having issues that night but toward the end of With Or Without You he seemed to be struggling with the "Oooh" part. I was listening to the bootleg earlier this year and it really seemed to add some form of emotion to the performance and actually made it all the more powerful. I feel bad for Bono sometimes when he struggles vocally. I don't know if you're a singer Peterrr or just like analyzing this stuff but it's awesome, especially since I'm taking voice lessons now. I find it amazing how his voice doesn't really seem all that worn. It did sound bad around Elevation era but that and PopMart are about as bad as I can re-call.

One thing that WAS positive about Bono's deteriorating voice at that time, was the fact that it forced him to do things he wouldn't normally do. Since he coudn't belt it out and go to that heavenly Bono singing place we all know and love and grew up with, he instead had to use his lower register more, and I think (and "I" meaning I-me-think) it inspired him to focus more on lyrics. Besides a few lines people seem to always point out "coke is a mystery, Oj, Michael Jackson etc..." the POP album I think is Bono's best lyrical performance, with AB and Zooropa coming in at 2nd. It shows a writer, who when pushed, can really deliver.

One thing that WAS positive about Bono's deteriorating voice at that time, was the fact that it forced him to do things he wouldn't normally do. Since he coudn't belt it out and go to that heavenly Bono singing place we all know and love and grew up with, he instead had to use his lower register more, and I think (and "I" meaning I-me-think) it inspired him to focus more on lyrics. Besides a few lines people seem to always point out "coke is a mystery, Oj, Michael Jackson etc..." the POP album I think is Bono's best lyrical performance, with AB and Zooropa coming in at 2nd. It shows a writer, who when pushed, can really deliver.
That's true.

I think its about how he prefers Bono's voice when it is having problems and does anyone else feel the same way.. ?

I suppose the main topic is simply "Bono's problem" with regards to his voice and then "voice tips" would refer to the examples that he provided in his initial post?

Let me just say that I think that it's really childish to come into this thread and pick on Peterrrrr because he has this certain interest. Would you do the same to the Edge guys who know everything about his gear and try to study his style of playing etc? :huh:

As for the thread itself: In my opinion, the most moving performance of Where The Streets Have No Name after Slane would be Popmart Sarajevo.
His voice is completely shot but yet is provides that spine-tingling emotional feeling, perhaps even more so than on good nights.

What would be a more obscure field of study, 1870s Lithuanian Agriculture or Bono Voiceology?

I don't think it's an obscure study in a U2 forum and not even at university. I studied musicology and it would not be at all unusual to write a paper on Bono's voice and you would have to go to details like these. Peterrrr could probably write a f.....ing brilliant paper, if he would be willing to learn how to play the piano and sing first! :wink:

Peterrrr, I remember we talked years ago about Bono's register and what was his highest notes? And I said it was more important to me that he was so great at expressing his feelings even when he was not perfect or singing the high notes. This is what I meant :yes:

Like to add Popmart was pretty much on the last tour Bono used the falsetto, see "Gone, Please, EBTTRT".

He's not saying that he prefers Bono's voice when he has problems. He says that he can enjoy those shows/numbers when Bono struggles.

I see what you mean Peterrrr, the Popmart Sarajevo stands out as an amazing show - not despite Bono struggling, but BECAUSE.

I kinda of agree to be honest. On Elevation, even though he struggled, his voice defiantly had a different raw edge to it that i never heard before or since. The passion shown so much in his voice on Elevation aswell. Even though his voice is technically better now, i've always preferred that raw passionate edge to his voice that seems none existent nowadays.

I love me some vocal fetishism in the morning :drool:

Now only if Bono's voice cracked WHILE he was wearing a latex horse body suit :drool:

EDIT: And if in turn he was wearing a garbage worker's uniform over top of the latex horse body suit :drool: :drool:

2. Rest.

3. Grapefruit juice.

Something like that.

What about Slippery Elm Lozenges?
I use these before karaoke.
I need all the help I can get..

Lozenges : Thayers Natural Remedies, Since 1847

:)

As for Bono missing a note here and there, knowing what he's all about I find that infrequent trait quite endearing

<>

Back
Top Bottom