Bono's Peak

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think you have to say 1984 - 1993

You almost certainly need to start it at 1984, because of Pride, Wire, and especially Bad. It also needs to continue through The Joshua Tree, where he performed so well, most notably on Red Hill Mining Town and One Tree Hill. And then then there was Achtung Baby and the entire Zoo TV Tour. It's hard to pinpoint a smaller timeline...

UF album and tour.

JT album, some points on the tour.

Lovetown tour was the best in terms of individual performances of a lot of songs,(WOWY, OTH) but he also blew his voice out alot.

Vertigo Tour, especially the last leg.

UF and Vertigo to present overall are his best, most consistent peaks.

Hope you didnt find my comment to be rude, that wasnt meaning :) I think his voice sounded a bit rough/tired when he did that.

No, I didn't find you rude:wink: But I felt Bono's voice completely different, was moved to tears: inspired, reflective to what the political message of this tune is. Not tired or rough, but concentrated, inspired. Still a rebell, yes, but a philosophical one ...

Well I believe you can only have a few uncertain peaks where everyone is in agreement. How can one person say you had a peak one year and another person say it was during another year? We saw moments during 2007's church medley and during Nelson Mendela's concert that his raw power returning to the same level as the 80's, only he's choosing to sensibly restrain and show nuance of shade/light. Although I don't see how a louder voice makes you a better singer. Also the during the Mendela video link we heard that thickness what someone mentioned in an earlier post. But overall I much prefer his voice now. I prefer the lighter tone much better than the dark tone. I didn't like his croaky tone of the 80's.

In the studio I think Pride is his best vocal performance, that was Bono at the absolute limit - and what a limit.

In concert I think Miss Sarajevo on the Milan DVD is astonishing - he pulled that operatic part out when it was not expected at all. Although I think 1987 was his peak for live singing in general.

Well I believe you can only have a few uncertain peaks where everyone is in agreement. How can one person say you had a peak one year and another person say it was during another year? We saw moments during 2007's church medley and during Nelson Mendela's concert that his raw power returning to the same level as the 80's, only he's choosing to sensibly restrain and show nuance of shade/light. Although I don't see how a louder voice makes you a better singer. Also the during the Mendela video link we heard that thickness what someone mentioned in an earlier post. But overall I much prefer his voice now. I prefer the lighter tone much better than the dark tone. I didn't like his croaky tone of the 80's.

I listend and analyzed the Grammy performence of GOYB(the HD 720p version, you can hear his voice much clearer on that recording) and I don't think we have realized how good his voice is on that performences. In the verses is voice is fullier with thickness. He sounds alot like JT Bono, his voice is has much more deep and also more pitch. Turn up the volume and listen to it a few times and we will realize how strong his vocals are now.

In the studio I think Pride is his best vocal performance, that was Bono at the absolute limit - and what a limit.

In concert I think Miss Sarajevo on the Milan DVD is astonishing - he pulled that operatic part out when it was not expected at all. Although I think 1987 was his peak for live singing in general.

listening to miss sarajevo gives chills up the spine. amazing. i put that song on for all the non-believers of bono's vocal talents.

It depends on what you’re looking for in his voice. I’ll take something like Lemon from the Sydney DVD as a true example of a great voice over whatever performance of Pride where he just really f*cking belts it any day of the week. And remember there’s a difference between having power in your voice and just volume in your voice

Obviously in a stadium setting judging that way makes sense, but I agree with those who think about 84-93 was the peak. Smokey one minute, howling the next, into the falsetto, off on a huge chorus, back down to a ranting angsty verse. It was all there. I’m interested to see how it plays on the new album, where he seems to be interested in using his voice in sync with the song again, not just oh-so-passionately shouting at everyone.

And try playing that Miss Sarajevo performance to a true opera singer. I love it as much as the next person here, sends a shiver up my spine as well, but it’s not anywhere near as technically impressive as some people here seem to think.

And try playing that Miss Sarajevo performance to a true opera singer. I love it as much as the next person here, sends a shiver up my spine as well, but it’s not anywhere near as technically impressive as some people here seem to think.

I don't know much about the technicalities of operatic singing. I'll accept it may not be impressive if that's your measuring stick. But it ain't mine.

Judge it on your shiver, not an expert's theories.

One of the earlier pre-2006 peaks obviously was this performance ...:wink:

YouTube - U2( Bono and The Edge) & Brian Eno-One live from Modena 95

I respectfully and strongly disagree.

That Modena performance (a Pavarotti benefit concert) was, to my ears, the beginning of Bono's serious vocal problems. His voice was overly scratcthy, and not like in a good kind of way. He strained to hit notes, his voice was thin and really showed overuse (even though he hadn't been touring for a while by then).

If this was just a one time thing, I'd let it slide (colds, allergies, lots of talking, previous touring, etc.). But it seemed to continue. Bono was up and down for much of "Pop" and ATYCLB and their corresponding tours. Finally, by HTDAAB he started sounding great and really showcased that in the final two legs of that tour (listen to some "Miss Sarajevo" performances in the latter stages). He seems to have continued that improvement since, sounding great live whenever I have heard him (reminiscent of past eras, namely '84-93).

I respectfully and strongly disagree. That Modena performance (a Pavarotti benefit concert) was, to my ears, the beginning of Bono's serious vocal problems. His voice was overly scratcthy, and not like in a good kind of way. He strained to hit notes, his voice was thin and really showed overuse (even though he hadn't been touring for a while by then)..
:hmm: So, you're right: We really don't agree, here. I estimate Bono's vocals on "One" here as one of the best performances, if not the best live performance of the tune ...:wink:

I respectfully and strongly disagree.

That Modena performance (a Pavarotti benefit concert) was, to my ears, the beginning of Bono's serious vocal problems. His voice was overly scratcthy, and not like in a good kind of way. He strained to hit notes, his voice was thin and really showed overuse (even though he hadn't been touring for a while by then).

In 95 his voice was better then the whole 93 Zooropa leg. In 93 his voice was worned out. Also about straining, he straind his voice alot in the 80s and on ZooTV tour.
Just wach TSOHOSOS, an incredible performence.
YouTube - Bono_The Edge-TWO SHOTS OF HAPPY ONE SHOT OF SAD

In 95 his voice was better then the whole 93 Zooropa leg. In 93 his voice was worned out. Also about straining, he straind his voice alot in the 80s and on ZooTV tour.
Just wach TSOHOSOS, an incredible performence.

I loved the performance of "Two Shots...".

My point is that, IMO, that Modena concert was the first time I ever recall cringing when I heard Bono sing. He just seemed off.

At the time I dismissed it. But then it became apparent a change had occurred.

Fortunately, it seems to have reversed itself. :applaud:

I love how he sings "midnight" on the live version of Lemon- he sounds like Noel Coward which is appropriate as macphisto is an old English devil! For me it will always be Bono's greatest era- as a song writer, performer and singer. He has been disappointing at all three at various times since. That said all three seem to be back in 2009- his lyrics on the new album are the most original since Pop, his voice sounds great and he reminded me of the Fly with his eccentric moves at the Grammys. Maybe he has been watching Zoo Tv !

"...And try playing that Miss Sarajevo performance to a true opera singer. I love it as much as the next person here, sends a shiver up my spine as well, but it’s not anywhere near as technically impressive as some people here seem to think..."

Thank you for this...I am an opera singer and I sorta cringe when listening to Bono's tension during Miss Sarajevo.

The thing about high notes is: there are no high notes... ;) Bono has gotten a lot better though. That's what improved technique and proper vocal health will do for a singer. He still shouts too often for some, but I love the way he sings.

If it wasn't for Bono, my life would have turned out radically different. I think the same goes for memebers of this board. We should keep that respect about us.

I think until 2006, the last time I heard the "thickness" of Bono's voice, or what I call the "crooning quality" was at Modena in 1995. I don't deny there were some problems but there were more old eleemnts there than new.

From the thread headline, I thought this was a discussion about Bono's hairline
Wrong forum, I guess.:doh::doh::doh:

In terms of singing technique: 1985/6 & 2006 onwards

In terms of overall timbre/tone: 1989-1995

Back
Top Bottom