Bono's overpowering presence in U2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Good way of looking at it! :up: Bono absorbs everything, the good and the bad.. from the media, fans, non-fans etc. But you know, this also makes certain people hate U2 as a whole because they hate Bono. which is stupid.

While I think a good portion of people hate U2 because of Bono's message, it's more probable that people hate U2 because they are this aging rock group trying to reach out the the young folk. They make themselves try to be younger than they are. And it REALLY doesn't help when Bono refers to himself as a rock star or U2 as the biggest rock group in the world. Dude, even if you are the best in the room, don't go around shouting it, ya braggart!

I'd vote for The Edge to represent U2, but then U2 would be interpreted as the geek band full of science fiction references and mythbusters style videos. Take that as you will. :wink:

While I think a good portion of people hate U2 because of Bono's message, it's more probable that people hate U2 because they are this aging rock group trying to reach out the the young folk.

Nah- people have always hated U2/Bono. I remember my big brother sighing loudly and turning off the TV when Red Rocks came on MTV in the early 80s. I think the reasons for the hate have changed throughout the years, but mostly I think it stems from jealousy.

And yes, my big brother still hates them ;)

Nah- people have always hated U2/Bono. I remember my big brother sighing loudly and turning off the TV when Red Rocks came on MTV in the early 80s. I think the reasons for the hate have changed throughout the years, but mostly I think it stems from jealousy.

And yes, my big brother still hates them ;)
Bah, I meant most people these days, but yeah, I can see why they have always been hated. They came about in a time when hair metal was king (of rock, at least). Anything else was just pussyfooting around on a guitar. :wink:

If I remember correctly (haven't got the CDs to hand right now), Edge has also got a co-writer credit for When I Look at the World and maybe something else on ATYCLB.

Anybody know if Adam gets a lyrics credit on the songs where he's sung, e.g. Endless Deep, Your Blue Room? The former in particular isn't much, but somebody might have a credit there nonetheless.

I think Edge co-wrote WILATW, Kite and Stuck on ATYCLB.

Also Vertigo, Miracle Drug, LAPOE and Yahweh on HTDAAB.

Actually the main core of the song was written by Adam, since it is a bassline he was working on, with Edge doing some ambient guitar over it and Eno editing it in the end.

Edge wrote the first few lines of Sunday Bloody Sunday and Wake Up Dead Man. His normal thing is filling in gaps for Bono but on those songs it was his lyrics that laid the foundation for Bono.

I thought he wrote a full set of lyrics for SBS ("don't talk to me about the rights of the IRA" being one of the lines) and then Bono re-wrote the song ?

The way those other bands credit their songwriting has as much to do with power balance within the band as who actually writes the songs, or who writes better ones. For instance, the Lennon/McCartney writing team was at least partly an alliance to keep a lid on the weaker writers. Bill Flanagan talks quite a lot about the power politics of songwriting credits and how the band has chosen to manage it in U2 At the End of the World.

And being married to a piano player in a band with a very gifted songwriter, I can confirm that some musicians just genuinely aren't interested in writing. They're more interested in taking what the writer gives (which usually is rough and needs quite a LOT of help) and structuring it into something remarkable. I think that's Larry and Adam.

Adam did write some basslines which became the groundpoint for songs. New Year's Day and Mysterious Ways are the most obvious examples.

Actually the main core of the song was written by Adam, since it is a bassline he was working on, with Edge doing some ambient guitar over it and Eno editing it in the end.

I thought 4 of July was started by Edge after the birth of his daughter.

:shrug:

I honestly don't think that Bono being credited with most of the lyrics writing has anything to do with him not allowing others to be a part of the writing process. If he was that much of an ego-maniac the band would've split up a long time ago. It has mostly to do with the fact that someone like Larry is really not into writing....or that he is aware that it isn't his strong side. Bono is into lyrics, enjoys poetry and certainly the right member to do most of the writing.

I thought 4 of July was started by Edge after the birth of his daughter.

:shrug:

Just because the song was named for that, doesn't mean Edge started it or wrote the bassline.

"Adam was just playing a little bass figure during a break in the session. I started playing along, totally unaware that Brian was listening in the other room. He happened to have some treatments set up for a vocal Bono had been doing and he applied those to the guitar. He recorded it straight to stereo tape and we kept it as a live instrumental. We called it '4th Of July' to commemorate the birth of my daughter, Hollie, Bono's godchild, who was born on that date, right in the middle of making the album."

Bono is so fat.

How fat is he?

Bono is so fat, he didn't have to get in shape for an in-the-round tour!

#panther

Anyone who thinks that Bono doesn't have significant input over all aspects of U2's music needs to watch FTSD again.

That film just corroborated what has been written about quite a bit...that Bono pretty much takes control when he's in the studio (which granted is less and less). This is not to diminish Edge's (or even Larry's) contributions, but the original poster is correct...Bono's presence in the studio is almost as outsized as it is in the rest of his life.

Back
Top Bottom