Bono's NYT Op-Ed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wow. Great read. Very interesting how he parallels the hubris and humility of the singer with the hubris and humility of America, post-crash. Has America become the aging singer crooning "My Way" now in apologetic tones? Interesting also that this whole notion of duality is supposed to be a thematic focus of the new album.

Nice article. Interesting points, LPU2. What's really interesting is how he writes a lot, but doesn't spend too much time delineating the point he's making. Instead, he tells this long story just to get you to a few sentences of meaning at the end. It's done in a way that, if you choose to let it, makes you think at the end.

Very nice. :up:

What the hell, that's the most boring extra ever. They really need to up the ante on fun there - oh wait, I was confusing the NYT with the New Yorker!

No wonder I was so disappointed!

Bono has a way with words, I like his writing style! :up:

Also cool to read about Sinatra, I didn't expect this, I thought his column would be about Africa.

Does anyone know how often his column will appear?

"Like Bob Dylan’s, Nina Simone’s, Pavarotti’s, Sinatra’s voice is improved by age."

:hmm:

Enjoyed the article, and I really dig Sinatra, but "My Way" is a pretty lousy song, despite Frank's performance. He really deserves to be known for something less treacly and Anka-fied.

Bob Dylan could never really sing, and Frank Sinatra isnt one of my favourites either but there are a lot worse singers out there.

What they could do was write provocative lyrics however, which is a talent that not many people have.

Bob Dylan could never really sing, and Frank Sinatra isnt one of my favourites either but there are a lot worse singers out there.

What they could do was write provocative lyrics however, which is a talent that not many people have.

Frank Sinatra did not write any lyrics. He sang other peoples songs but was not a writer himself. What he did do well was interpret songs in a special way. No less of an achievement just different.

Dana

Better than the op-eds written by professionals! Bono is a man of many talents, but I have always thought that writing and persuading through words were his best.

Much like it took an Irish band to caputre how America was feeling after 9/11 (Super Bowl Halftime 2002), it takes an Irish writer to capture the mood of the country as we celebrate a new year amidst economic uncertainty. The tension between hope and fear conveyed through Sinatra's My Way was brilliant. Who in America does not feel that way now? Almost everyone, regardless of political affiliation, is glad to be rid of the Bush years and wishes a young, inelligent, history making President the best in leading us through very challenging times. We are hopeful. However, this is tempered by a fear and an uncertainty over the state of our country- job losses keep piling up, a stimulus will put us in more debt that will have to be addressed, etc. We all hold out hope for Obama, but truly fear(and know) that one President can not and will not solve all of our problems.

Look forward to more Bono columns!

Much like it took an Irish band to caputre how America was feeling after 9/11 (Super Bowl Halftime 2002), it takes an Irish writer to capture the mood of the country as we celebrate a new year amidst economic uncertainty. The tension between hope and fear conveyed through Sinatra's My Way was brilliant. Who in America does not feel that way now? Almost everyone, regardless of political affiliation, is glad to be rid of the Bush years and wishes a young, inelligent, history making President the best in leading us through very challenging times. We are hopeful. However, this is tempered by a fear and an uncertainty over the state of our country- job losses keep piling up, a stimulus will put us in more debt that will have to be addressed, etc. We all hold out hope for Obama, but truly fear(and know) that one President can not and will not solve all of our problems.

Hmm, I thought Bono was writing about the mood in Ireland or Dublin, not America. The economic meltdown occurred there, too, not just here. The Celtic Tiger (hubris) has its tail between its legs now (humility). I didn't read anything about Obama or Bush in there. Nor did Bono mention Sinatra singing "My Way" in fearful or hopeful tones - it was defiance, then sentimentality, two very different emotions.

I know it's hard to imagine, but Bono writing about something other than the USA is indeed a strange thing.

That was pretty brilliant.

Frustrates me about the people who have disrespected his lyricism of late. If the man has a fault, it's an overabundance of honesty, earnest feeling, and a desire to say something that matters.

Pretty decent faults, as far as faults go.

Frustrates me about the people who have disrespected his lyricism of late. If the man has a fault, it's an overabundance of honesty, earnest feeling, and a desire to say something that matters.

Personally, I do feel (for the most part), that Bono's lyrics lately have been crap. There are exceptions, for sure, but overall - not so great. HOWEVER, I know he has fantastic prose and is still a great lyricist/ poet (ex. this article and, imo, "Wave of Sorrow").

But I digress, this thread isn't really about that. Great article! I am definitely jealous of his abilities as a writer :angel:

I don't think it's honesty all. It's more like the phony exuberance of someone who wants to kiss butt. You guys buy this?! It's so flowery and over-the-top. Frank Sinatra was a dick, wasn't he?

Alright, get over yourself, dude. You have no idea what Bono is thinking or feeling. I think it's obvious he has true respect for the man and it's a great piece of writing. Blind Bono bashing really brings out the dumbest comments sometimes.

I liked Pitchfork's take: "Bono Bullshits for The New York Times". How true.

The day Pitchfork writes something that is NOT bullshit is the day Coldplay will be good as U2.

You know if you actually read the whole pitchfork article it's actually kinda complimentary...

From Pitchfork
The Times is offering the column as text and as audio read by the man himself. Here's a tip: Go for the audio. Delivered in his jazzbo-by-way-of-Dublin style, overstuffed lines like "malt joy and ginger despair are all in the queue to be served on this, the quarter-of-a-millennium mark since Arthur Guinness first put velvety blackness in a pint glass" sound less show-offy and more blissfully buzzed. It's easy to make fun of Bono, but there's a reason why his Rock and Roll Hall of Fame speeches are always amazing. The guy knows how to spin his yarns. Expect about a half dozen more Times columns from the singer throughout 2009, according to The Guardian.

Back
Top Bottom