Bonos most emotional moments

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think a lot of people forget...or maybe do not even know....how fucking...emotive and explosive Bono could be....this cat used to hang off of scaffolding, etc.....seeing him bang that mic repeatedly cracks me up

Yeah, he can get really happy, sad, or angry. It's nice to see a man who isn't afraid to show emotion. *cough*Americanmen*cough*

I was going to post the clip of Bono yelling at the fan using the cell phone on the Vertigo tour, but I couldn't even get halfway through the clip without cringing. I couldn't even watch.

I remember on another forum years back someone posted a collection of bonos angry moments. Don't remember any of the shows (maybe someone will know). There was pride when Larry kept missing the entry and B threw the mic at him, and yelling at edge for forgetting a verse in out of control

Wasn't there a very emotional One on Popmart after Michael Hutchence died? Was it Australia? And Never Tear Us Apart played on the PA after the band left the stage?

Oh, for the opposite end of the spectrum, how about pissed off Bono? The Bullets from the Wembley Zoo TV shows, in the part of the show after the Sarajevo link-ups? Holy shit.

I think Michael Hutchence passed on a Saturday? I remember seeing it on CNN and the U2 Popmart San Antonio TX show was that Sunday (next day).

Bono was pretty emotional during Staring At The Sun and One. They put a image of Hutchence during SATS. And at the end they played Never Tear Us Apart. Great show.

Yeah, and they played MLK during/after as a snippet of Staring at the Sun too at that San Antonio show.

I think Michael Hutchence passed on a Saturday? I remember seeing it on CNN and the U2 Popmart San Antonio TX show was that Sunday (next day).

Bono was pretty emotional during Staring At The Sun and One. They put a image of Hutchence during SATS. And at the end they played Never Tear Us Apart. Great show.
Why Staring At The Sun? It's always been one of my favorite songs, so I'd like to know.

Why Staring At The Sun? It's always been one of my favorite songs, so I'd like to know.

Bono spoke about him before the song. Can't remember what was said.

The screen resembled the SATS single cover (Adam screaming) as there were 4 shots of Michael, same shot just different colors.

Those 3rd leg Popmart shows were great. U2 were on fire.

Maybe I'm thinking of their first Australia appearance after Hutchence died. I remember some Aussies mentioning how emotional One was, and then Never Tear Us Apart playing over the PA and no one wanting to leave, or something.

The screen resembled the SATS single cover (Adam screaming) as there were 4 shots of Michael, same shot just different colors.
I never realized that was Adam on the cover :doh:
Maybe I'm thinking of their first Australia appearance after Hutchence died. I remember some Aussies mentioning how emotional One was, and then Never Tear Us Apart playing over the PA and no one wanting to leave, or something.

The video I posted at the very beginning of the thread, with Bono singing One at the Popmart Mexico gig, he gets very emotional, and even chokes through a bit of it at the end. Do You Hear Us Coming has never been better.

Wasn't this the inspiration for City of Blinding lights. "You look so beautful tonight" related to the crowd and their emotions after 9/11 during WTSHNN?

Could be. Bruce Springsteen was yelling, "Is there anybody alive out there?!" at the crowd long before he used that as a lyric in one of his songs.

Tacoma, 1992!

It looks like this was actually from the first Vancouver show on Outside Broadcast (Tacoma was one of the last Inside Broadcast shows).

I'm not sure where this guy pulls this from (maybe 'U2 Live?' It's probably the only book I don't own) and posts on his site:

This Day in U2
November 3,4 1992 U2 perform in Vancouver, B.C., Canada at B.C. Place Stadium. The concerts take place on the night before and the night of the US Presidential Elections. The screens flash "AND NOW A WORD FROM OUR SPONSOR" after "The Fly". "Our sponsor is not Texaco or Ross Perot...tonight our sponsors are the good people of Vancouver!" While flipping, Bono comes across Arkansas Governor Bill Clinton making a speech and wishes him Good Luck. The band seem tired and uninspired. Larry misses his cue for "Pride(In The Name Of Love)" and Bono throws his microphone at him in anger. The band quickly leave the stage after the song, and during the encore Bono pauses to thank "Adam, Edge, and ESPECIALLY Larry for letting me be in their band." The next night is much better for the band. Under the backdrop of ZooTV covering the US elections, the band play an inspired performance - the problems of last night seem to be forgotten. "Goodbye, George Bush," Bono says to the vidi-walls, "I don't think we'll miss you that much..." Larry adds vocals to "Dancing Queen" and Adam sings a whole verse of "When Love Comes To Town" - the band actually have trouble keeping up with the pace Adam plays and sings at. Bono notes that the second show in Vancouver really "fucked up the scalpers", as the addition of the second night left them with many tickets. During the encore, Bono asks the crowd, "I don't want to be Elvis tonight, I want to be Bono tonight...You love me for who I am, don't you? I don't have to put on all this shit for you, do I? It's hard..." Support is B.P. Fallon, "The Sugarcubes", and "Public Enemy".

Sounds like two f'd up shows, especially the first.

I have a boot from one of the Tacoma shows, but would have to dig it out to double check. There's a dvd of the first Tacoma night, but it's a dead torrent on u2T, and the audio boot of the first Vancouver night is also a dead torrent...so I can't really check. Don't see any video for that Vancouver show.

:nerd:

Damn, I knew it was a Pacific Northwest show! Thanks, Utoo.

I know I have it somewhere. If I have a spare 5 minutes and think about it this weekend, I'll see if I can dig it out and give it a listen.

Bruce Springsteen was yelling, "Is there anybody alive out there?!" at the crowd long before he used that as a lyric in one of his songs.

So was that dude at the end of Titanic who was wading through all the frozen bodies looking for survivors.

I know what you're talking about... Earnie was there and him and a few others were discussing it in here about the time they toured last year.

^ from memory, the never tear us apart snippet came at the end of Mysterious ways. I remember Gone and Bad being incredible; the weather put on an incredible electrical storm and it was hosing rain at one point which only added weight to an already emotional evening . . . filing out of the stadium (after One? closing the show) to Never Tear Us Apart with Hutchence's image on the screen still gives me chills . . . amazing night :heart:

Back
Top Bottom