Bono's earliest radio interview! August 1979!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Maoilbheannacht

Refugee
I'm shocked this actually exist. Here is Bono being interviewed by Dave Fanning in August of 1979 before the release of U2-3 which had the three songs "Stories For Boys", "Out Of Control", and "Boy-Girl".

They discuss playing shows in Ireland and some of the difficulties involved in being a recently formed band playing their own material as opposed to playing covers of popular artist.

‪Audio. Bono, August 1979, RTE radio, Ireland.‬‏ - YouTube

I actually was surprised and thought he sounded like a veteran of the rock scene. Amazing that this was just 2 years and 11 months after they first met at Larry Mullen's house in Artane!

Got the exact date of this interview.

It occured on Tuesday, August 21, 1979. Later that evening, the band played at "The Baggot" Inn in Dublin. They were supported by a band called The Blades.

Here is a link to a picture from that show in the evening of August 21, 1979 at The Baggot Inn.

http://www.u2startcontent.com/photos/351-01821-size3.jpg

Age of the band members on this day:

Adam - 19
Bono - 19
Edge - 18
Larry - 17

Incredible. So articulate even at that age. How different does he sound to any of the dopey teenage pop stars around these days.

"disllusionment with the Top 30" so what's new alas...

I guess the airkissing Twitter comment erasers like Perry & Riri etal have been schoolled by their PR/label not to rock the boat too much...

I like his, shall we say, nakedness and honesty, back then musicians were much more open, less schoolled and prodded and sure they slagged each other off a lot, but it wasn't so vanilla flavoured, it was actually fun... The thing is nine years later on Radio One at the launch of Rattle & Hum in an interview with Roger Scott and Annie Nightingale, it was the same wonderfully spontaneous not give a shite banter too. I kinda miss it and re: that interview, Annie wouldn't have publically chastised him for calling someone [Cwissy Boy] "a wanker" in jest either like Jo Whiley did, I mean they F'ed and blinded all the way through, bless 'em...

My god, I have never heard a 19-year-old speak so articulately and with such complete self-assurance. I'm currently reading the book Killing Bono, and this interview confirms that he was exactly the way the book describes him at that age.

Back
Top Bottom