Bono's best opera moment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

europop2005

Refugee
Whats been some of Bono's best operatic moments? When he can really hold a long and strong note? My vote would be Miss Sarajevo from Milan during the Vertigo Tour...that last note is huge.

I was actually going to say Miss Sarajevo as well, but not from Milan. I was thinking of the version from U23D. In Milan, he sounds a bit strained on that note. Not a lot, it's not hideous or anything. But the version from U23D gave me chills. He may have wavered a tiny bit at one point, I can't remember, but he hit the note, and his tone was so full.

:applaud::drool:

The thing about Opera is about emotion to me. I was listening to SYCMIOYO yesterday, and there's a lot of emotion in that song. While I don't really like the song much, it's quite a big opera moment.

Miss Sarajevo - some Saitama version, or Honolulu. Or Magnificent, Milano 1. Or Magnificent / Miss Sarajevo (snip), either Zagreb show.

Milan DVD
2005-10-03 - Boston - Miss Sarajevo

Having attended this show and the one on 10/4/05, I have to say I found the one on 10/4 better. His voice is wonderfully operatic - so much so that it sounds very natural and not strained at all. It's as if he just launched into that upper operatic register. When my friend heard Bono sing this, she simply declared "That was beautiful".

My other favorite operatic moment was with a JT era performance of "One Tree Hill" (Austin, 1987). Early in the song, Bono let's out an operatic wail of "oh's" and then has a very powerful "and when it's raining" ending. This may be my favorite performance of that song. :up:

I will add the above-referenced "Magnificent" in Milan to this as well. Very good opera voice (i.e., not Kermit) there. :yes:

Back
Top Bottom