Bono was receiving Scientology auditing ??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Imagine a world without it, no more war, no more power games, no more believes that some people are better than others. Just live you life in peace without any judgement and leave everyone quiet!!!

I'm not a particularly religious person, and I typically try to stay out of political discussions on this site, but I must say this is one of the most absurd things I've ever read on here. And that's saying something.

The notion that humanity would change and "live in peace and without any judgement", and that all wars would stop w/o religion is not only laughable, it is, from a historical perspective, demonstrably inaccurate. Human beings do those things to each other because its human nature, the lack of religion isn't going to change that, and hasn't. And if you believe that religion is an invention of human beings, than all the things you deplore about it...war, repression, judgement...were invented by humans as well.

Not to mention that some of the most brutal, murderous regimes in history have been atheist regimes...how do you account for that? Where was the peace and quiet you speak of in Mao's China or Stalin's Russia?

We are an inherently violent species. And we are not violent because of religion..religion is violent because of us. If people didn't fight about or because religion (and a lot of blood has been spilled that way, to be sure), they'd find something else to fight about, they always have. Oil for example. And when the oil was gone they'd fight about the sand.

I'm not a particularly religious person, and I typically try to stay out of political discussions on this site, but I must say this is one of the most absurd things I've ever read on here. And that's saying something.

The notion that humanity would change and "live in peace and without any judgement", and that all wars would stop w/o religion is not only laughable, it is, from a historical perspective, demonstrably inaccurate. Human beings do those things to each other because its human nature, the lack of religion isn't going to change that, and hasn't. And if you believe that religion is an invention of human beings, than all the things you deplore about it...war, repression, judgement...were invented by humans as well.

Not to mention that some of the most brutal, murderous regimes in history have been atheist regimes...how do you account for that? Where was the peace and quiet you speak of in Mao's China or Stalin's Russia?

We are an inherently violent species. And we are not violent because of religion..religion is violent because of us. If people didn't fight about or because religion (and a lot of blood has been spilled that way, to be sure), they'd find something else to fight about, they always have. Oil for example. And when the oil was gone they'd fight about the sand.[/QUOte

This :up:

Also, WTF is it with Bono?

Kanoodling with George W
Pandering to the Christian Right
Ruining the world with Monsanto
Wearing old man hat
Now a Scientologist?

The end of the world must be upon us? :wink:

This is a ridiculously cyclical argument.

Man creates the gods that tell him to kill. Man starts 10,000+ years of wars and bloodshed, claims he's operating on gods orders. For a brief period of less than a couple hundred years, some other godless men find excuses other than the tried and true religion/god told me to excuse but their arc is pretty short in the grand scheme of mankinds overall history. Philosophical man says therefore its not god who's to blame it's man. Well, no fucking guff.

Move it to FYM.

This thread fell apart a few posts into the first page. But it is a thread about religion so I guess that is expected.

Almost as bad as being a member of the Catholic Church.

Are you seriously comparing Scientology to an institution that carried Western Civilization on it's back for about 1500 years?

It would be wise to dig a little deeper into history - there's more there than what can fit into a tweet.

Are you seriously comparing Scientology to an institution that carried Western Civilization on it's back for about 1500 years?

It would be wise to dig a little deeper into history - there's more there than what can fit into a tweet.

Word!

This is a must see, it amazing to see the before and after poll what people think about it...

The Catholic Church is a force for good? Debate

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hn0tPRjVBvw

I miss Hitchens :(

Let me laugh a bit.... :lol: thanks.

The catolic church has been the worst of all. The most narrow-minded cult that is allowed on earth. They killed, they burned, they arrested, they denied all the biggest scientists and put them in prison. You think this church is a progressive movement? Well then we don t see things the same.

I miss Hitchens :(

I do also - he was a fine debater. If you search through my posts, you'll discover I consider him one of the best. He made many, many wonderful points before his untimely death; but debates are won by the best rhetoric and not necessarily by truth. I can appreciate Hitchens' talent without taking all of his conclusions as the new gospel.

It would not be in the interest of these debates to point all of the good the Catholic Church has done for almost 2000 years, since he's trying to convince you it is basically evil.

I'm not Catholic, but it's entirely ridiculous to equate the Church to Scientology. Interference isn't Reddit - where you get upvoted for snarky remarks against anything related to a the "establishment." At least I hope it doesn't become that.

However, I know I won't convince you or lazarus of much of anything in a few online posts. But I would encourage you to add some depth to your thinking and do the truly radical thing of appreciating the good where it does exist.

That being said - this thread does belong in FYM. I would be willing to discuss this further with you in that forum.

Let me laugh a bit.... :lol: thanks.

The catolic church has been the worst of all. The most narrow-minded cult that is allowed on earth. They killed, they burned, they arrested, they denied all the biggest scientists and put them in prison. You think this church is a progressive movement? Well then we don t see things the same.

You're forgetting all the children that were molested, a tradition that continues to this day.

However, I know I won't convince you or lazarus of much of anything in a few online posts. But I would encourage you to add some depth to your thinking and do the truly radical thing of appreciating the good where it does exist.

I appreciate good where it exists, whether its under the auspices of an organized religion or otherwise.

But as far as the Catholic Church is concerned? On balance, they have a done a lot more damage to human progress and humanity than they have done good.

Almost as bad as being a member of the Catholic Church.

Laz was provocative before it was mainstream.

Amazing. There is always room for healthy debate about religion, but imagine someone posting "Almost as bad as being a Muslim (Hindu..ect)" or something along the sorts. Moderators here would give warnings and people would be quickly throw terms like "ignorant," "bigot," "xenophobe." Only on interference though, does a "moderator" call an insult on Catholics "provocative." Interesting.

Amazing. There is always room for healthy debate about religion, but imagine someone posting "Almost as bad as being a Muslim (Hindu..ect)" or something along the sorts. Moderators here would give warnings and people would be quickly throw terms like "ignorant," "bigot," "xenophobe." Only on interference though, does a "moderator" call an insult on Catholics "provocative." Interesting.

Grow some thicker skin, man. Christ almighty.

I hope the Flying Spaghetti Monster is ok.
Touched_by_His_Noodly_Appendage.jpg

I see a very one-sided discussion that is mainly about seeing things black and white. Personally I agree about the skepticism towards organized religion, but a church isn't equivalent with faith. Still I think many people do need some sort of rituals and community to practice their faith and to feel at home. I dropped out of the Catholic church many years ago because I'm against most of the things that this institution stands for, still I love to visit churches because there's a special power there and I feel safe when I'm there. It's a very personal feeling. I don't find any comfort or consolation in the secular world and in materialism, it means nothing to me. I have much more interest in spiritual issues. Still I wouldn't say I'm a religious person. I had no religious upbringing but experienced a lot of bigotry. I think many people seek hope in their faith and while I object to any kind of religious or idealistic fundamentalism, I also object to militant atheism.

But there's probably a better forum to discuss these issues than this one. I always liked the discussions in the Goal is Soul forum because spirituality is an aspect that has always drawn me to U2 - among many other aspects, of course.

I don't know how this thread turned into an all out battle about religion, but it's run its course. If you want to debate religion, there's plenty of threads in FYM to whet your appetite. This isn't the place.

It certainly isn't the place to call people douchebags and other insults. That place is YouTube comments.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom