Bono trademarking his name

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rennowba

Rock n' Roll Doggie
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/e...rademark-could-spell-end-for-u2-16176753.html

Bono’s newly patented name and signature could spell a solo move for the U2 frontman.

Bono, whose real name is Paul Hewson, has converted his stage name and squiggle into a trademark with the Irish Patents Office amid hints that U2’s 35-year career may be nearing its end.

“I’m not so sure the future hasn’t dried up," Bono said during an interview last year. “It’s quite likely you might hear from us next year but it’s equally possible that you won’t,” according to the Irish Daily Star.

The rocker’s new patent means he can use his trademark sign on everything from music releases to underwear and glasses, following in the footsteps of Jedward who trademarked their name earlier this year.

Who the fuck makes a connection between "trademarking his name" and "shit, it's a sign they're breaking up!" Stoopid newspapers, that's who.

re the trademarking, it's probably a smart thing to do to protect one's "brand," when you're a ridiculously rich rock star who goes by one name and is in fact "a brand," like it or not.

Does this mean he can go after people trying to use his name (like, say, impersonators who allow people to think he's really Bono including signing his name as an autograph?) to protect his trademarked brand, not unlike how big companies with a recognizable logo go after companies who try and piggy-back on their business by using a similar logo?

Maybe that's copyright vs trademark and US vs Ireland, not sure how that all compares.

I don't think he's going to start coming out with Bono Body Spray (U 2 CAN SMELL RICH!) or Bono Non-Orthopedic Shoe Lifts (ADD THREE INCHES OF ELEVATION), so yeah, this isn't really much to get all excited about.

Who the fuck makes a connection between "trademarking his name" and "shit, it's a sign they're breaking up!" Stoopid newspapers, that's who.

re the trademarking, it's probably a smart thing to do to protect one's "brand," when you're a ridiculously rich rock star who goes by one name and is in fact "a brand," like it or not.

Does this mean he can go after people trying to use his name (like, say, impersonators who allow people to think he's really Bono including signing his name as an autograph?) to protect his trademarked brand, not unlike how big companies with a recognizable logo go after companies who try and piggy-back on their business by using a similar logo?

Maybe that's copyright vs trademark and US vs Ireland, not sure how that all compares.

I don't think he's going to start coming out with Bono Body Spray (U 2 CAN SMELL RICH!) or Bono Non-Orthopedic Shoe Lifts (ADD THREE INCHES OF ELEVATION), so yeah, this isn't really much to get all excited about.

at first glance, when i read "ADD THREE INCHES OF ELEVATION", i thought you were going a completely different route.

Who would buy bono underwear :) i can just imagine the design with bonos name written round the top of the pants on the band :) just like calvin kleins

Well the Telegraph already reported earlier this year that Bono became a billioinare after Facebook went public(so we already know they have their facts correct)... could we possibly be seeing a Bono social media spin off?

at first glance, when i read "ADD THREE INCHES OF ELEVATION", i thought you were going a completely different route.

Bono Voxagra?

For once I might agree with the money grabbing criticism!

Why assume he did this so he could put his name on products? Why not assume that he did it to avoid OTHER people making money on his name?

corianderstem said:
Bono Voxagra?

Why assume he did this so he could put his name on products? Why not assume that he did it to avoid OTHER people making money on his name?

Because its interference

Didn't Jay Z and Beyonce trademark Blue Ivy? Honestly I'm surprised he didn't do that ages ago. I'm sure many celebrities do it and no one ever finds out.

My first reaction to Jay-Z and Beyonce trademarking their sprog's name was to give a massive eyeroll, but after my finger wagging a few posts ago, I realize that's probably the same thing. :lol:

I'm sure there are LOADS of shitasses who would otherwise be starting websites and whatnot with that poor kid's name, to try and capitalize on it.

Wasn't there a band called Bono Must Die a couple years ago? I think they were from Ireland and I may have seen an article saying something about Bono objecting to them using his name.

Well the Telegraph already reported earlier this year that Bono became a billioinare after Facebook went public(so we already know they have their facts correct)... could we possibly be seeing a Bono social media spin off?
Did he really become a billionaire?

The guy is clearly trying to squeeze more money out of us. Please, no more extortion

Wasn't there a band called Bono Must Die a couple years ago? I think they were from Ireland and I may have seen an article saying something about Bono objecting to them using his name.

I think they were called Bono Must Diet, and he was righteously pissed. I bet that band is first on his take-down list with his team of new trademark lawyers.

Does this mean we have to pay Paul McGuinness a quarter every time we say his name? Jesus. I guess Laz was ahead of his time all along with "Boner."

When I was in Ireland last year, I got a gas station receipt that had Jedward printed on the back of it.

The gas station attendant was mortified when I pointed it out and laughed. I took a picture of it as a "WTF IRELAND" moment.

Back
Top Bottom