Bono to Visit Qatar? / Bono cancels Doha visit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

biff

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
Not sure if this has been posted:

Bono to visit Doha next month
Web posted at: 11/23/2008 2:47:4
Source: THE PENINSULA

DOHA: Rock star and philanthropist Bono is coming to Doha next month to participate in the Qatar Foundation-sponsored Doha Debates, The Peninsula can reveal.

Organisers are expected to announce today Bono, frontman for U2, will come to Doha to be the special guest in the next debate event, to be broadcast on the BBC World satellite channel, in early December.

Hosted by renowned British journalist Tim Sebastian, The Doha Debates have become the Middle East’s forum of choice for many prominent statesmen.

One-off special events — which feature question and answer sessions with a single guest — have attracted such names as Bill Clinton, Mohamed El Baradei, Shimon Peres, Amr Moussa and Ayad Allawi.

Lead singer in arguably one of the most popular and recognised bands on the planet, since 1999 Bono has become increasingly involved in campaigning for third-world debt relief and raising awareness of the plight of Africa, including the AIDS pandemic.

Bono has been nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize, was granted an honorary knighthood by Queen Elizabeth II of the United Kingdom, and was named as a Person of the Year by Time, among many other awards and nominations.

How very odd. Before about three weeks ago I'd never heard of Qatar, then someone I know is moving there, and now Bono's going there! Hmm. New pics soon ^^

The debate with Bono will be held on World AIDS Day, 1 December. :love:

The debate will be broadcast on the BBC on 6 & 7 Dec.

The Doha Debates ? Qatar's forum for free speech in the Arab world

Here is one of the main reasons that Bono is going to Doha :

"The Doha Conference occurs at an economically challenging time, but we are going to try our best to make sure that the rich countries don’t backtrack on their development promises, and to try to explore new opportunities for funding development. In particular, we are going to focus our efforts on the following points:

G8 countries to reiterate their existing commitment to increase ODA and reassure developing countries that these will be forthcoming

International community to explore concrete steps that can be taken to advance innovative financing mechanisms, including carbon finance for development

Encourage new donors, especially oil exporting countries, to follow the example of Scandinavian and other countries, to spend more on fighting poverty

Great news is that Bono is taking some time off from his recording time to come to Doha. He’s particularly interested in meeting the host Qatar government , which has already started to use some of its oil money for African development."

ONE ? Blog Archive ? ONE Heads to Doha :hug:

Thank you, Jamila. So Bono will be in Doha on December 1, not at the (RED) Wire launch party. There are a lot of things going on that day.

I don't think that it was ever stated in the (RED)WIRE news releases that Bono would be at the online launch - unless he has made a small video message for those attending the (RED)WIRE launch that may be played during the launch which is always a possibility.:hyper:

I think that people were only hoping that Bono would be at the online launch for (RED)WIRE.

Mulago Positive Women’s Network :love:

I HOPE this has to do with the album.

Doesn't sound very Bono-like to me, to cancel such an important event.

I hope he's okay (seriously).

Unforeseen circumstances - that doesn't sound like it's album related (or they would say so), plus I don't see Bono saying to anything activism/RED related "sorry I can't make it, I gotta finish the album first".

Hopefully it's not the kind of unforeseen circumstances that delayed the last tour...

Bono has cancelled his visit to Doha. I have the feeling that this is linked to the final mixing of the album in London. They must be in the final stretch and Bono has decided to stay in London to finish the album rather than take a week off.

Bono cancels Doha visit | U2 news article from @U2

Santiago

I posted this news in the PLEBA froum....I wouldn't be surprised if it is possibly due to safety concerns following the terrorist attacks in Mumbai,India...we are getting closer to the holidays and so you have attempted attacks happening around this time.
Of course Bono's cancellation of his appearance could be album related...it's just the whole "unforseen events" term made me think otherwise.

Actually the cancellation being due to the Mumbai terrorist attacks sounds plausible to me.

The idea of him not being ok had not courred to me, but I actually think that safety concerns or unforeseen extension of album mixing are more likely...

Santiago

@ Sad Punk

Are you from Crawford / Texas?

Just kidding you. I don't think such an inside-India-problem has anything to do with Bono and Quatar!

Cheers.

India and Qatar are the same country?

Of course not...but as we have seen over the last decade..terrorist attacks can happen pretty much anywhere...and events like a Doha Conference(which bring prominent people from all over the world together) are not beyond the realm of possibility when it comes to a terrorist attack.

Yes, but possible terrorist attacks would affect everyone there, not just Bono. I doubt it has something to do with him, unless he has received a specific threat personally. (Hopefully not)

strange indeed.... it has nothing to do with terrorist attack! It can be anywhere anytime, I don't think he cares about that. Plus, he prob flies his own jet...
I hope it's album related... otherwise, it doesn't look good.

Back
Top Bottom