Bono sues german tv producer about the name of a tv channel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dr.dae

Acrobat
Grünes Licht für Bono TV: Der TV-Produzent Max Schautzer hat sich mit dem Sänger Bono gütlich geeinigt. Der U2-Boss fand nämlich die Idee, dass Schautzer den Namen Bono für einen TV-Sender für die Generation 50plus verwendet, nicht so gut. Die juristischen Auseinandersetzungen schwelten über mehrere Monate. Gesellschafter Sven Eggert: "Wir werden den neuen Namen im November bekanntgeben. Er wird dem ursprünglichen Namen sehr ähnlich sein." Unter Bono TV hat Schautzer nun bei der KEK einen Lizenzantrag gestellt. Er will "den 1. Fernsehsender für die 2. Lebenshälfte" launchen.

Der Kontakter

Sorry little time....

Bono was sueing against the use of the name "Bono TV" for a tv channel for the generation 50+ years. went on for months ...bla bla...now changing the name.

IS Bono having a midlife crisis ? :hmm:

Is there a copy write on the name, "Bono?" Since, this is a real surname for some people.

Bono spends a lot of time in court. Doesn't he?

And always for the most incredibly boring and trivial things.

Just let it go, you wanker. Are you going to sue the Latin language next?

I'm eagerly awaiting his case against the Bonavox hearing aid shop.

Before we jump all over Bono for this I think we need to get a good translator in here, there are some aspects to the story that lead me to believe that a. Bono's issue was not simply that they used the term "Bono" and b. that they resolved it by still using the term "Bono", but in a different way?

Here's the crappy Google translation, anyways:

Green light for Bono TV: TV producer Max Schautzer has agreed with the singer Bono agreed amicably. The U2 boss was in fact the idea that the name Schautzer Bono for a TV broadcaster for the Generation 50plus used, not so good. The smoldering legal battles over several months. Sven Eggert shareholders: "We will be the new name announced in November. He is the original name very similar." Under Bono TV has Schautzer now at the CEC a license application. He wants "the 1st television for the 2nd half of life" are launching.

OK, I don't think it's fair to simply throw a German text in here without translating it and then making a false statement like Bono is suing, because he isn't. This is old news anyway and the TV channel was merely trying to gain some publicity for its startup by exaggerating this story in the media.

And I don't think you can say Bono is spending much time in court, that simply laughable, compared to other celebrities he never sues or his sued. I don't think he is very keen on suing anyone.

And I think he has the right to protect his name. As far as I now, it's a TM.

bono_strawberry2.JPG

831173bonodocedeleite.jpg

Grünes Licht für Bono TV: Der TV-Produzent Max Schautzer hat sich mit dem Sänger Bono gütlich geeinigt. Der U2-Boss fand nämlich die Idee, dass Schautzer den Namen Bono für einen TV-Sender für die Generation 50plus verwendet, nicht so gut. Die juristischen Auseinandersetzungen schwelten über mehrere Monate. Gesellschafter Sven Eggert: "Wir werden den neuen Namen im November bekanntgeben. Er wird dem ursprünglichen Namen sehr ähnlich sein." Unter Bono TV hat Schautzer nun bei der KEK einen Lizenzantrag gestellt. Er will "den 1. Fernsehsender für die 2. Lebenshälfte" launchen.
:

Green light for Bono TV: TV producer Max Schautzer has ended with singer Bono on friendly terms. The U2 boss didn't like the idea of Schautzer using the name Bono for a tv channel for the 50+ generation. The juridic argument took several months. Partner Sven Eggert: "We wanted to make the new name known in november. It is very similar to the old one." For Bono tv Schautzer has by the KEK a license requested(?). He wants to launch the "Number 1 tv channel for the 2nd life half."

I reckon the license is some sort of permission thing... not sure how to translate it...
That greedy bastard.

cupcakesig.png

(this never gets old, to me at least)

:laugh: Win.

Um, I'm kinda with Bono on this one. It's not like he would try to protect his name if it was Tom or something; there aren't very many other Bonos out there. It's also not as if he would care if it was just a word from another language, like the cookie ( :lol: ), but it's sort of an obvious reference to him - and that's not a very flattering thing to be associated with. :shrug:

Um, I'm kinda with Bono on this one. It's not like he would try to protect his name if it was Tom or something; there aren't very many other Bonos out there. It's also not as if he would care if it was just a word from another language, like the cookie ( :lol: ), but it's sort of an obvious reference to him - and that's not a very flattering thing to be associated with. :shrug:

How on earth is it "an obvious reference to him"?

I have an idea, let's rename it into The Edge TV. Let's see if Edge finds it ok.

Man, I wouldn't want my name to be used for a TV station without being asked either.

We have no proof they were using his name.

Maybe, I don't know, they were using the word "bono"? It is a word, after all.

Now, if they were using a picture of his head as a logo along with it... well that would be another story.

Seriously. This is a stupid debate to be having over four lines of German text.

I have an idea, let's rename it into The Edge TV. Let's see if Edge finds it ok.

Shit, we better not let him know that a ledge on Pitcairn Island is called The Edge, or he might sue the entire South Pacific dependency! And I wonder what Bono plans to do about Bono, Arkansas? These places really need to stop using U2's names. :tsk:

(Or maybe we need to recognise that our precious band members are not the only possible association these words can have. Shock, horror.)

Shit, we better not let him know that a ledge on Pitcairn Island is called The Edge, or he might sue the entire South Pacific dependency! And I wonder what Bono plans to do about Bono, Arkansas? These places really need to stop using U2's names. :tsk:

(Or maybe we need to recognise that our precious band members are not the only possible association these words can have. Shock, horror.)
or that ford manufactures a vehicle called edge.

oops!!

We have no proof they were using his name.

Maybe, I don't know, they were using the word "bono"? It is a word, after all.

Now, if they were using a picture of his head as a logo along with it... well that would be another story.

Seriously. This is a stupid debate to be having over four lines of German text.

true, but it's not a german word... the german language doesn't descend from latin either, so they'd either have to borrow it from italian/latin or from Bono's name.

:shrug: still,finish the damn album..

true, but it's not a german word... the german language doesn't descend from latin either, so they'd either have to borrow it from italian/latin or from Bono's name.
True. Funny though, it didn't phase me a bit that they might borrow it. But, I'm used to English, the language that lurks in dark alleys, beating up other languages and riffling through their pockets for spare vocabulary.

Back
Top Bottom