Bono says "I may never play the guitar again".

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
all the kidding some of us have been making about the accident

I just want to say how absolutely terrible his injuries are. Once I leaned the extent I was shocked. He will never be the same. But I do believe he will be able to create music again. I also believe he will be able to play guitar in a modified fashion. No, not the same. But in a direction that can contribute to much enjoyment for himself and others.

I never understood the mocking his injuries got here on interference. While there are lots of people who are furious when someone expresses different opinion, hardly any is disgusted when there are many people who make fun of Bono´s injuries. I find it really low and miserable. I never joined that debate, it was really disgusting... Neverthless, I hope he will be alright, I even hope he will be able to play his guitar, or at least to wear it :)

I never understood the mocking his injuries got here on interference. While there are lots of people who are furious when someone expresses different opinion, hardly any is disgusted when there are many people who make fun of Bono´s injuries. I find it really low and miserable. I never joined that debate, it was really disgusting... Neverthless, I hope he will be alright, I even hope he will be able to play his guitar, or at least to wear it :)

For fucks sake

Just because you make light of a situation doesn't mean you don't understand exactly how serious the situation was.

so back on topic of injured great musician being forever changed
Vic Chesnutt is an artist that suffered an even greater injuries than Bono
and went on create remarkable music

I saw him live 3 times, great live show

I've seen many comments by people who've had similar injuries and who are confident that he will be able to play again. Let's hope so. We all know he's not the greatest guitar player and wears the instrument more than he does actually play it, but a U2 show wouldn't be the same without him strumming his green Irish Falcon, apart from his own enjoyment, as he also mentioned in his essay. He'll have to re-learn using his left arm and hand properly, but with the right amount of training and rehab he might return to form. It will take more time, though, than most of us realize now. I feel sorry for him having to put up with this crap :(

all the kidding some of us have been making about the accident

I just want to say how absolutely terrible his injuries are. Once I leaned the extent I was shocked. He will never be the same. But I do believe he will be able to create music again. I also believe he will be able to play guitar in a modified fashion. No, not the same. But in a direction that can contribute to much enjoyment for himself and others.

I agree! If one armed drummers can make it work, Bono can to. He may never be able to play the same, but he still has his voice and can play guitar I some fashion.

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

to be honest

I don't how the songs are written, created
I don't know what songs by them, that I love, began with Bono alone with a guitar? if any?
I do believe there is some great music inside of him still and it will find a way out

I will not project an optimistic, positive prognosis for him to be as good as new.
I expect a different Bono, and I hope others will be open to the modifications without putting pressure on him to live up to unrealistic expectations.

I heard Bono actually played guitar on HTDAAB because Edge was off doing something else.

Or Edge doesn't like playing the guitar anymore, or something.

Now we're fucked.

I know we have more than one threat on the bike crash, this is not about that

but this statement will be dominating the media, I think it deserved it's own thread

I was initially surprised at the amount of coverage it got. And then I was all "of course it did." As did his "apology" for the iTunes thing. News media are not the best at picking up self-deprecation, I guess.

They did a pretty lengthy segment on the 30 minute NBC Nightly News. It was mainly about Bono not being able to play the guitar, but they talked about the whole note as well.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

He always busts out the guitar for songs like "One" that I don't want to hear anyway.

Basically, if Bono can play a song on the guitar, it's usually a bit of a bore.

They did a pretty lengthy segment on the 30 minute NBC Nightly News. It was mainly about Bono not being able to play the guitar, but they talked about the whole note as well.

NBC's Today Show also did something this morning, but I can't get it to load on my computer.

It's trending on Facebook as the top story all of today.

Speaking of which, this made me wonder - during the NYC Red Aids show, I saw several shots of Dallas at the back of the stage, kind of hunched over a guitar, and it looked like he was playing. Was he actually playing, or just tuning Edge's guitars for the next song? Bono doesn't play on any of the songs they played that night. So what was up with that?

Yep, the 30 minute ABC news did the same.

Speaking of which, this made me wonder - during the NYC Red Aids show, I saw several shots of Dallas at the back of the stage, kind of hunched over a guitar, and it looked like he was playing. Was he actually playing, or just tuning Edge's guitars for the next song? Bono doesn't play on any of the songs they played that night. So what was up with that?

I was there...definitely tuning.

Wait, does Bono REALLY know how to play guitar? Lol

IMO, the two reasons Bono plays guitar is of course, songwriting and live, it's a great aid in staying in tune with certain songs the band play live. Case in point is The Fly - Bono's guitar is usually buried in the mix and honestly adds little to the song live but on a big stage with that cacophony of sound going on around him, his guitar coming through the stage wedge monitors in front of him helps him sing in key.

Wait, does Bono REALLY know how to play guitar? Lol

He is no Edge but I've seen a couple of bits where he plays decently - I think the problem with him and the guitar (as well as keyboard/piano) is that it is hard for him to sing and play at the same time.

the real problem is for himself, as in he as a person who enjoys (loves) to play the guitar and probably he won't be able to do it anymore... that's surely sad.

But he as an artist shouldn't be too affected by it, much less the band.

the real problem is for himself, as in he as a person who enjoys (loves) to play the guitar and probably he won't be able to do it anymore... that's surely sad.

But he as an artist shouldn't be too affected by it, much less the band.

A songwriter not being able to compose on guitar isn't being affected heavily ?

Surely the key word in all of this was 'may'. I'm surprised he didn't say he might never tour again, in his present frame of reference.

For a while after his 1999 smash, Stephen King intimated never writing again. Things worked out better than expected.

He always busts out the guitar for songs like "One" that I don't want to hear anyway.

Basically, if Bono can play a song on the guitar, it's usually a bit of a bore.

He played guitar on NLOTH, The Fly and Bad on the last tour. And these are just off the top of my head. His guitar playing can really add to the performance of certain songs at times.

Back
Top Bottom